Reggie Ragland story

4 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

the thing that irked me? he was nearly free money. Even if he only played two downs.

McD did not play the business side as well as i might have hoped. he is too much a straight shooter with blinders on. Build up Raglands value for one year or so as two down LB and see how it plays out. run a darned hybrid 3-4 !

did anyone notice Bills could NOT stop the run game at times last year ?

Yeah, but that was mostly after Dareus was traded.  And the Chefs allowed the same YPR as the Bills last year.

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Who knows.  The point is the Edmunds is a far better pick than Ragland---who is still struggling to "get there".

is that actually the point. we have little to go on , with the T. Edmunds as a pro as we had little to derive from Ragland's preseason, which there was none. or nearly none. lol

I had assumed his trade was based upon keen insight into his injury and Bills were lucky to trade him, at the time. now it appears it was purely scheme fit. I have to question that if McD is to become a Coach who reaps the wheat from the chaff

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Who knows.  The point is the Edmunds is a far better pick than Ragland---who is still struggling to "get there".

Not sure how much he is “struggling”. He played in 12 games and started 10. He really came on the last few games. I’m surprised the Bills couldn’t find a role for him.

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah, but that was mostly after Dareus was traded.  And the Chefs allowed the same YPR as the Bills last year.

I tend to think it was more than that Doc. But certainly Ragland was not the answer . Brown was always serviceable IMO.

Humber ?

Just now, Sky Diver said:

Not sure how much he is “struggling”. He played in 12 games and started 10. He really came on the last few games. I’m surprised the Bills couldn’t find a role for him.

Edmunds is a generational pick if all goes as planned. Unique physique. and all the tangibles to develop . i would not compare the two.
I wonder how they might look together this year in a the 3-4 style. Even Brown was traded for capital. he certainly was working hard. if he had a better line ??

edit I was surprised as well. along with other surprises. such as Robert Woods

The Bills aren't made for a 3-4.  That was Rex's biggest mistake.  And I don't think he would have unseated Brown at MLB, much less any of the OLB's.  It's possible he played poorly in the 4-3 and not even recouped the 5th rounder they got.  But we'll never know. 

8 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Edmunds is a generational pick if all goes as planned. Unique physique. and all the tangibles to develop . i would not compare the two.
I wonder how they might look together this year in a the 3-4 style. Even Brown was traded for capital. he certainly was working hard. if he had a better line ??

I never compared Ragland with Edmunds. That would be foolish. Just challenging that Ragland is struggling. He played very well at the end of the year as he fully healed from the knee injury. His coverage skills may be underrated too.

Edited by Sky Diver

41 minutes ago, Doc said:

it may be true. but it may have been that McD defensive tactics were not sound

26 minutes ago, Doc said:

The Bills aren't made for a 3-4.  That was Rex's biggest mistake.  And I don't think he would have unseated Brown at MLB, much less any of the OLB's.  It's possible he played poorly in the 4-3 and not even recouped the 5th rounder they got.  But we'll never know. 

we talked about moving Brown to strong side.
but you are correct, just conjecture and hindsight at this point : )

27 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

I never compared Ragland with Edmunds. That would be foolish. Just challenging that Ragland is struggling. He played very well at the end of the year as he fully healed from the knee injury. His coverage skills may be underrated too.

my apologies 

11 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

it may be true. but it may have been that McD defensive tactics were not sound

we talked about moving Brown to strong side.
but you are correct, just conjecture and hindsight at this point : )

We can play "what if" until the cows come home.  All I/we know is how the season turned out and I for one wouldn't change a thing about it.  And I was happy with the way the off-season went and if they got their franchise QB in Allen, they killed it.

20 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

He couldn't break out if third string status when with us.  Scheme, health, whatever - he just didn't earn a spot so they traded him.  Wish him well.

he never played a down? he was injured

14 minutes ago, Doc said:

We can play "what if" until the cows come home.  All I/we know is how the season turned out and I for one wouldn't change a thing about it.  And I was happy with the way the off-season went and if they got their franchise QB in Allen, they killed it.

no argument there.

i am not really a what if type anyways.

we are what we are

I am what i ams and that's all that i ams 

Says Popeye the Sailor Man toot toot !  

1 minute ago, Sky Diver said:

KC sat him until the 5th game to give him time to recover from his knee injury. We had no patience.

I did not know that. Perhaps that was the main reason why he was let go.

Availability is a mantra these days at OBD.

2 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

They paid too high a price to draft him ( a 2nd and two fourths) and then gave him away too cheap...

That is a typical Buffalo Bills story...

So, you are saying they should have kept him even though he didn’t fit the scheme?

Interesting.