Sad day for play by play fans

gomper

Greg Papa out with Raiders after over 20 years. Mark Davis is a clown. I know a lot of you don't know him but he was the best in the NFL. I spent many a Sunday finding an affiliate of the Raiders network slipping and not blocking their feed. With Tom Flores and Lincoln Kennedy they were the best broadcast team in the league. His work on the Bills game last year was amazing. He knew more about the team and the history than those who broadcast in Buffalo. Hope he gets the SF job at some point or is on nationally. He's best. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, gomper said:

Greg Papa out with Raiders after over 20 years. Mark Davis is a clown. I know a lot of you don't know him but he was the best in the NFL. I spent many a Sunday finding an affiliate of the Raiders network slipping and not blocking their feed. With Tom Flores and Lincoln Kennedy they were the best broadcast team in the league. His work on the Bills game last year was amazing. He knew more about the team and the history than those who broadcast in Buffalo. Hope he gets the SF job at some point or is on nationally. He's best. 

I still remember the day the Raider's kicked a columnist out of a press conference and black balled him after they didnt like him asking tough questions.......

That actually happened

He should be offered a gig with Westwood one for national games. He and Kevin Harlan are the best football radio play by play guys.

What impresses me about Papa is how prepared he is on everything. The Raiders, their opponents, schemes, the draft. He has a great afternoon radio show too. Oh and he covers baseball and basketball and is phenomenal at that as well.

Edited by iccrewman112
  • Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, gomper said:

Wow, that's too bad, he is a great play-by-play guy.

Could this have something to do with the Raiders moving to Las Vegas? Perhaps Greg Papa doesn't plan on moving there to broadcast for them?

I agree with iccrewman112, Papa should get national games on the radio.

• Like (+1) 1

Musberger is a relic. The guy has been a relic for a decade now and has so many black marks on him you'd think they'd just let that sleeping dog lie. leave it to the Raiders to make yet another bad decision. Mark Davis is too caught up in yesterday to consider that today and tomorrow are really the most important thing.

47 minutes ago, iccrewman112 said:

He should be offered a gig with Westwood one for national games. He and Kevin Harlan are the best football radio play by play guys.

What impresses me about Papa is how prepared he is on everything. The Raiders, their opponents, schemes, the draft. He has a great afternoon radio show too. Oh and he covers baseball and basketball and is phenomenal at that as well.

Kevin Harlan is great too, this clip has got to be one of the greatest play-by-play moments in sports history...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wopy6Ntd834

Edited by Mark Vader
  • Thank you (+1) 1

i prefer to listen to radio broadcasts if i can, and synch it with the TV

radio is usually a local team that tells me the subs and anything unusual out there in formation

the TV crew is usually totally clueless about the teams they are covering and tell me practically nothing more than I just saw with my own eyeballs

Raiders were a good one, haven't had the need to listen much to them since around 1984 though...  :D

• Like (+1) 3

59 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Oh my god, i just looked who replaced him, Brent Musberger. Can that man please please retire already.  I never liked him in his prime but he is dreadful now, forgets things, mixes up names constantly, relies on his good ole stories from 30 years ago.

Yeah, but maybe the camera will pan to some players hot wife or girlfriend in the stand & Brent can babble on about that & make a fool of himself.

• Haha (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Musberger is a relic. The guy has been a relic for a decade now and has so many black marks on him you'd think they'd just let that sleeping dog lie. leave it to the Raiders to make yet another bad decision. Mark Davis is too caught up in yesterday to consider that today and tomorrow are really the most important thing.

LOL,  Someone needs to ask his opinion about the NFL and kneeling, see what a bumbling response he gives.

In 1968, Musburger penned a column regarding Tommie Smith and John Carlos's protest of racial injustice in the United States with a Black Power salute on the medal stand during the 1968 Summer Olympics. In it he stated "Smith and Carlos looked like a couple of black-skinned storm troopers" who were "ignoble," "juvenile," and "unimaginative." In a 1999 article in The New York Times, Musburger stated that comparing the two to the Nazis was "harsh", but he stood by his criticism of the pair's action:

Did [Smith and Carlos' action] improve anything? ... Smith and Carlos aside, I object to using the Olympic awards stand to make a political statement.[5]

According to Carlos, Musburger never apologized:

We are talking about someone who compared us to Nazis. Think about that. Here we are standing up to apartheid and to a man in Avery Brundage who delivered the Olympics to Hitler’s Germany. And here’s Musburger calling us Nazis. That got around. It followed us. It hurt us. It hurt my wife, my kids. I’ve never been able to confront him about why he did this. Every time I’ve been at a function or an event with Brent Musburger and I walk towards him, he heads the other way.[6]

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Wow, look at this, shocked how this can fly in today's oversensitive PC world. Someone needs to ask his opinion about the NFL and kneeling.

In 1968, Musburger penned a column regarding Tommie Smith and John Carlos's protest of racial injustice in the United States with a Black Power salute on the medal stand during the 1968 Summer Olympics. In it he stated "Smith and Carlos looked like a couple of black-skinned storm troopers" who were "ignoble," "juvenile," and "unimaginative." In a 1999 article in The New York Times, Musburger stated that comparing the two to the Nazis was "harsh", but he stood by his criticism of the pair's action:

Did [Smith and Carlos' action] improve anything? ... Smith and Carlos aside, I object to using the Olympic awards stand to make a political statement.[5]

We are talking about someone who compared us to Nazis. Think about that. Here we are standing up to apartheid and to a man in Avery Brundage who delivered the Olympics to Hitler’s Germany. And here’s Musburger calling us Nazis. That got around. It followed us. It hurt us. It hurt my wife, my kids. I’ve never been able to confront him about why he did this. Every time I’ve been at a function or an event with Brent Musburger and I walk towards him, he heads the other way.[6]

Well, apparently it isn't flying since sports forums and social media all around the country will now be quoting this again ...

... Musberger is a relic. I actually thought he was kind of fun doing college football in that poor man's Keith Jackson way. No harm done giving him one last hurrah here, although I do agree that Greg Papa is a good one who'll find work very soon.

10 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

LOL,  Someone needs to ask his opinion about the NFL and kneeling, see what a bumbling response he gives.

Musburger is just horrible. I was standing at a bar ten feet away when Jimmy the Greek punched him. I was never one for violence, but my first thought was he probably deserved that.

Edited by chris heff
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, iccrewman112 said:

I love Kevin Harlan's intonation...he creates vivid mental images of whats going on..its like i am almost watching the game when i listen to him.

48 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Give him the MNF job and get rid of Beth Mowins.  It's not an anti-woman thing, it's an anti-Beth Mowens thing.  Her voice is so grating.

Yeah its tough listening to her...

1 hour ago, MiltonWaddams said:

....LOL......first Chuckie and now Spent Brent....anybody know the whereabouts of the "Madden cruiser"??...............and good Lord that haircut......looks like Moe......