How the Bills shocked themselves and landed Josh Allen, Tremaine Edmunds in 2018 NFL Draft

Being able to draft possible future cornerstones on both O and D, makes for interesting times ahead - even if neither work out (although I think that's unlikely) - and should be celebrated.

If both become what we hope, you could be forgiven for ignoring the rest of this draft class, because those two picks alone, will keep us as contenders for years.

• Like (+1) 1

I completely missed this thread and the article when it came out and just read it.  A really good read for those who missed it - goes into much more detail than the BN step by step article.  

It's interesting to see all the planning and due diligence that went into it - starting a year in advance, but yet still with all that planning have a scenario pop up for Edmunds that they had never even considered (Beane even says he made a "mistake" by not  considering still having pick 22 and trading up).  Regardless - think it shows a masterful job by Beane from start to finish.

Thought it was also interesting that Beane characterizes the first meeting with Allen as "tough" - that Allen was "super nervous" and "trying too hard" - but then by the next meeting it was a 180 and Allen was calm and confident.  Also good to see again the positives they saw lin Allen ive with attitude/leadership etc

I'm glad CBS sports has a damn editor.

First paragraph: "ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- The genesis of the Buffalo Bills' potentially epic 2018 draft can be traced back to 51 weeks before they actually selecting quarterback Josh Allenand linebacker Tremaine Edmunds both within the first 16 picks on that hectic Thursday night."

Jesus my three-year-old would go.... "daddy that doesn't sound right!"

Edited by CLTbills

8 hours ago, SDS said:

Thanks Einstein. The OP changed the title to be more descriptive prior to your snark.

My thread must have been merged with this one because the thread I created on it had the title of the article as the the title of the thread.

So ya know !@#$ off.

I really like Edumonds and Phillips, both could be foundational defensive pieces but I was not for Allen and that draft is going to hinge on how good Allen is. I would have taken Rosen if it were my decision. Obviously, I am not paid to do player evaluations so my opinion is just that of a fan. But after looking at Allen more closely I see why they thought so highly of Allen. Allen is straight out of central casting for a QB. A big 6 foot 5 guy with big hands, a quick release, great intangibles and one of the strongest arms you have ever seen. He also has some speed and mobility although no one will confuse him with a guy like Mike Vick. But Allen didn't light it up in college and you can see he has footwork issues and issues reading the defense. He also misses some easy throws once in awhile. 

The footwork issues and playing behind a bad O-line probably contributed more than anything else to bad accuracy. Both are correctable for sure. But what Allen is, is a confident coaches wet dream. Allen has all the physical and mental tools to play the game, Allen just needs to be coached up on some fundamentals (footwork) and decision making processes. But if Allen can't put that together he could be a top 5 QB in the league, it is just that history and outcomes in the past say that it is rare to turn around that type of player to that degree.