Forbes - Bills have one of NFL's 10 Richest Owners

12 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You miss the point.   An owner who had the bulk of his net worth tied to the team's value may be more inclined to put out a winning product than a guy like Pegula, where it's more of a toy.

I'm not baiting you.  Just asking  question.

Publicly traded companies aren't really owned by an individual.  And the head of the company's net worth isn't included in public disclosures of the company.

no **** but the number of shares he or she owns absolutely is disclosed.  i'm not saying it's their exact worth but they can ballpark a little easier.

Edited by aristocrat

The Net worth of the Pegula's is very hard to value.  He (and his partners) own thousands of acres of gas rights in the USA.  He developed(drilled wells) and sold (to Shell) a small portion of that acreage for about the same price he paid for the Bills.  Depending on the price of gas going forward, he could be worth many times what is being reported here.  Only time will tell....but, needless to say, he is still a "fracker" if the price of gas if right to justity the investment. (and, right now, its not I think)

42 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why wouldn't they have adjusted his net worth figures for 10 years, but have done so with the other billionaires?

They weren't this bad with Golisano. 

Who cares?  The Bills made the playoffs in just their 3rd full season of ownership.   And after a couple billion, it's all funny money anyway.

3 hours ago, eball said:

And this is why the Bills' and Sabres' futures are secure.  Pegula doesn't need them to be remarkably profitable.

Rogers is one of the wealthiest for MLB and refuses to spend to win.

35 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Rogers is one of the wealthiest for MLB and refuses to spend to win.

Yes but the Pegulas appear to be committed to building sustainable franchises.  My point is just a simple one; an owner who is trying to "make money" from owning a pro sports team may make decisions that are not in the best interests of the on-field/ice product.

I thought he was worth around $3 billion, but then bought a football team for more than $1 billion.

Anyway, he has a lot of money, and here's the kicker.  When you have that much money, it grows out of control all on its own, for free, all the time, even while you sleep.

No descendant in his family line, forever, should have to work a day....even for the next 500 years.

It's good to be that kind of filthy rich.

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why wouldn't they have adjusted his net worth figures for 10 years, but have done so with the other billionaires?

They weren't this bad with Golisano. 

They also weren’t this secure in Buffalo w/ Golisano. Things will work out.

3 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

The Net worth of the Pegula's is very hard to value.  He (and his partners) own thousands of acres of gas rights in the USA.  He developed(drilled wells) and sold (to Shell) a small portion of that acreage for about the same price he paid for the Bills.  Depending on the price of gas going forward, he could be worth many times what is being reported here.  Only time will tell....but, needless to say, he is still a "fracker" if the price of gas if right to justity the investment. (and, right now, its not I think)

Just FYI, Price of nat gas is going nowhere for years, probably decades, you can hedge out easily 5 years with the curve in very slight contango, not even worth the carry cost.

4 hours ago, eball said:

Yes but the Pegulas appear to be committed to building sustainable franchises.  My point is just a simple one; an owner who is trying to "make money" from owning a pro sports team may make decisions that are not in the best interests of the on-field/ice product.

...as neophyte owners hoping to ease into ownership only to be faced with the Marrone exodus, I think they've done a good job......they clearly know their mistakes and moved to atone for them quickly.......the Marrone upheavel forced them to retain BranDONE and Whaley who were both under contract for some type of organizational stability......the McD and McBeane hirings were the right moves IMO....and McBeane was given an open checkbook, eventually hiring a scout staff of 17+ (probably a $3.5-$4 mil payroll) composed of many exec level NFL personnel folks....you just don't write a check for $1.4 billion to field a losing team......made similar mistakes with Sabres but they now appear to be heading in the right direction with Botterill & Housley......and he can make money quicker fracking which is why he hates Guido Cuomo and his "ban".....damn Italians.....