Dolphins will suspend and/or fine any player who displays anthem protest

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It dates back to the fevered patriotism of the WWI era

"google search on "national anthem sporting event history" found this site, (http://www.poppolitics.com/articles/2003-02-28-flagprotest.shtml) which had this info:It is generally accepted that its first appearance during a sporting event was the 1918 World Series. To demonstrate major league patriotism, baseball teams had the players march in formation during pre-game military drills while carrying bats on their shoulders. During the seventh-inning stretch of game one, when the band spontaneously began to play the "Star Spangled Banner," the Cubs and Red Sox players stood at attention facing the centerfield flag pole. The crowd sang along and applauded when the singing ended. "

I don't think 100 yr old tradition could be "sun-setted" by the NFL at the current time in the current climate without huge controversy

They played the national anthems for both teams during the World Cup. It’s not just a US thing.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It dates back to the fevered patriotism of the WWI era

"google search on "national anthem sporting event history" found this site, (http://www.poppolitics.com/articles/2003-02-28-flagprotest.shtml) which had this info:It is generally accepted that its first appearance during a sporting event was the 1918 World Series. To demonstrate major league patriotism, baseball teams had the players march in formation during pre-game military drills while carrying bats on their shoulders. During the seventh-inning stretch of game one, when the band spontaneously began to play the "Star Spangled Banner," the Cubs and Red Sox players stood at attention facing the centerfield flag pole. The crowd sang along and applauded when the singing ended. "

I don't think 100 yr old tradition could be "sun-setted" by the NFL at the current time in the current climate without huge controversy

Just stop playing it.  Maybe the first game of the year to honor our military and the 9/11 heroes.  Let Trump throw his hissy fit and move on.  It will eventually fade away from our consciousness.  I don't see any other way around this.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Of course if the majority of a nfl team refuses to play, the owner will fold real quick.  If you did this at you job, you’re completely replaceable.

for the millionth time, your job isn’t the same as a pro athlete’s.

Owners have used replacement players before, I’m not sure why they can’t do it again.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Owners have used replacement players before, I’m not sure why they can’t do it again.

They can't even survive with replacement refs.

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

wow i thought he was pretty supportive of the players right to protest? if the nfl really wanted to end it they just wouldnt show players on tv doing it. 

In a way they're enhancing the impact of the protest.

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

Money is the extremely obvious answer. Wake me up when some league this century goes that route. 

Money is the answer which is why the owners are squelching the protest. It’s bad for business.

Just now, Sky Diver said:

Money is the answer which is why the owners are squelching the protest. It’s bad for business.

Oh please.  That point is so overblown.  Ratings went down in nascar.  

Im sure ratings really down last year in Buffalo.  

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Just stop playing it.  Maybe the first game of the year to honor our military and the 9/11 heroes.  Let Trump throw his hissy fit and move on.  It will eventually fade away from our consciousness.  I don't see any other way around this.

I wish it was that easy but patriotism is bedrock foundation to this country both good and at times bad which has gotten us into trouble i.e Vietnam to stop communism. There is vast amount of Americans who not only see the anthem at games as tradition, but a civic honor to those who fight and serve the country. This type of nationalism is put in those people from birth and regardless of any argument explaining the kneeling they see it as an offense to those people. In other countries it is not common for anthems like this, but remember the US was founded on this nationalist type of ideal.

I went to school for Poli Sci so I have looked at this pretty heavily from an analysis standpoint. You effectively have one side pro flag standing defending the nationalist element and the other saying that protesting is apart of the fabric of the US and the cause they are for is just. I don't believe either side is necessarily wrong, but the division is so great there is massive fighting by both and reason won't be heard. In general we are also replicating the social civil war we saw in the 1960s all over again. History does repeat regularly this seems to be the next step.

Stopping the anthem would eliminate both sides argument both ways with probably more outrage from the pro flag/anthem people. It would also probably be a hornets nests worse then last year which is why the NFL won't do it.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I respectfully disagree. I don’t like to cave in to that type of pressure. Eventually they will be looked down upon, IMO, for the trite “protest”.  I know many will disagree, but I believe the guys who write the checks should make the rules. Yeah, Yeah, the CBA will control how this goes, but I believe when I’m at work I have to play by the bosses rules.If I don’t like the rules, I can move on. Players are employees. The NFL has gone to great lengths to address the actual issue (like $90 mil?), and it’s really not even their fight. They don’t run the police departments. 

When’s the next CBA due? This could get uglier than usual! 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Oh please.  That point is so overblown.  Ratings went down in nascar.  

Im sure ratings really down last year in Buffalo.  

Whether it’s overblown depends upon how big you think it is. I can tell you this - it is real. How BIG, I can’t say, but I had a college buddy at the Bengals game refuse to go even with a free ticket. And that was BEFORE we knew how nasty the weather would be. He DID show for the tail gate, as he’s NOT boycotting beer and food.