Bills Seahawks parallel

1 minute ago, ProcessAccepted said:

I completely agree. Rodgers became human because our d got to him and rattled him.

I was pointing out the fallacy in the previous posters argument when they said we will never win as long as Brady and Big Ben are playing

Beating teams with great Qbs comes down to competing on every play.  Don't give them the freebees on first down, stop their run game, and put them in harder to convert 3rd down situations.   

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

Beating teams with great Qbs comes down to competing on every play.  Don't give them the freebees on first down, stop their run game, and put them in harder to convert 3rd down situations.   

Agreed though I'd add one important ingredient - turnovers. 

7 minutes ago, 87168 said:

well...we haven't yet. your optimism is appreciated, but until we're out of the doldrums, the fact remains.

this year's wild card appearance was a nice boost, but I don't think many people are expecting a better team this year (I could be wrong).

I personally expect 7-9 with some surprises and some disappointments.  

19 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

I was pointing out the fallacy in the previous posters argument when they said we will never win as long as Brady and Big Ben are playing

I suppose it depends on your definition of 'serious noise in the AFC'. In the last 15 Super Bowls, the AFC QB was Brady x7, Peyton x4, Big Ben x3, and Flacco once.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I suppose it depends on your definition of 'serious noise in the AFC'. In the last 15 Super Bowls, the AFC QB was Brady x7, Peyton x4, Big Ben x3, and Flacco once.

1's retired, 1's 40 years old, big ben is held together with tape, and flacco kinda stinks.  It's anyone's guess who will be amazing from the next crop - or if it will be more of an even playing field after 3 HOFers retire.  

Rodgers is a top 5 QB in the NFL, and theyre a super bowl contender every year - he only has 1 ring though.  

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Right?  They gave up 30+ 10 times in 18 games.  Pretty lousy team.  

They did draft their LT replacement, and added a tandem of future all-pro safeties in one draft.  As well as thurmond who was an important piece during their SB run.  Tate was also picked, but he never fit great in seattle and has been great with Jim bob and Stafford in detroit.

Tate fit great in Russell's wife allegedly. That is why he was allowed to walk. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, dneveu said:

1's retired, 1's 40 years old, big ben is held together with tape, and flacco kinda stinks.  It's anyone's guess who will be amazing from the next crop - or if it will be more of an even playing field after 3 HOFers retire.  

Rodgers is a top 5 QB in the NFL, and theyre a super bowl contender every year - he only has 1 ring though.  

Doesn't change the fact that the last 15 years have had parity in only 1 of the conferences.

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

Just thought about this comparison this morning.  When Seattle made the playoffs in 2010 with a 7-9 team, everyone basically stated that they were the worst playoff team ever etc. and buffalo drew some comparisons to that when they made it last year despite being outscored, and blown out in several games.

Now looking at the roster's, and how the teams were assembled I see even more that we're trying to build something similar.  Buffalo is building a strong secondary, stopping the run, and making it hard for opposing offenses to score and move the ball.  The offense is obviously a work in progress, but outside of Doug Baldwin who was drafted in 2011 - Seattle has never really had a particularly strong group of receivers, and built their offense around a strong running and PA game.

I know in 2012, no one expected the Seahawks to have the best defense in the league - or to start a run of 6 straight playoff appearances.  Personally I don't think 2018 is the year (Rookie QB, Oline transition, young roster), but 2019 very well could be the year where Buffalo can actually make some serious noise in the AFC.  

Interesting thought. You could even carry this along further...

the seattle defense was great because cause they had a good zone scheme and loaded up with talent that fit perfectly particularly at secondary and MLB and up front 

At QB, they replaced their ‘playoff vet’ Charlie Whitehurst with an offseason vet ‘upgrade’ Matt Flynn.  They then took Russell Wilson in the draft as a long term project- he turned out to be an upgrade over the upgrade and won the starting job as a rookie. 

Let’s hope the parallels keep going. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

Just thought about this comparison this morning.  When Seattle made the playoffs in 2010 with a 7-9 team, everyone basically stated that they were the worst playoff team ever etc. and buffalo drew some comparisons to that when they made it last year despite being outscored, and blown out in several games.

Now looking at the roster's, and how the teams were assembled I see even more that we're trying to build something similar.  Buffalo is building a strong secondary, stopping the run, and making it hard for opposing offenses to score and move the ball.  The offense is obviously a work in progress, but outside of Doug Baldwin who was drafted in 2011 - Seattle has never really had a particularly strong group of receivers, and built their offense around a strong running and PA game.

I know in 2012, no one expected the Seahawks to have the best defense in the league - or to start a run of 6 straight playoff appearances.  Personally I don't think 2018 is the year (Rookie QB, Oline transition, young roster), but 2019 very well could be the year where Buffalo can actually make some serious noise in the AFC.  

Don't make this more complicated than it needs to be.

Our success or lack thereof this season (and beyond) will depend entirely on the development/success of Josh Allen.

Everything else is a distraction.

21 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Thanks for the history lesson ? but let's just look at last year. Blake Bortle beat the Bills in FL before going into PA and beating Big Ben and then losing to Brady by 4 in MA. 

My point is that looking back 15 years just tells us that these guys are getting older and that the guard is changing. Maybe Brady from 10 years ago beats the Eagles but the one from last year certainly lost to their backup QB. 

9 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Our success or lack thereof this season (and beyond) will depend entirely on the development/success of Josh Allen.

Allen is a critical piece no doubt, but increased pass rush and sacks plus stopping the run will take some of the pressure off the rookie. 

13 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Fair - just saying building a strong defense first will help the team be in every game and make his job easier.

11 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Couldn't disagree with you more. That attitude is exactly what has held up back for almost 2 decades. It's what Coach McD is systematically changing.

For evidence that you're argument is wrong look at what our D was doing at the end of the 2014 season to top tier guys like Rodgers (before the U-turn with Rex). These players are human and experience emotion and doubt just like the rest of us. A stout defense can bring out the mistakes in any player or team.

Your post is so homerific, and just wrong. The attitude of a fan saying that about Brady and Rothlisberger has no impact on the team, and I've never seen a professional player on the Bills display it.

Brady has just owned the Bills, like the rest of the league despite their best efforts. They've tried it all, blitzing, sitting back in zone, building a team to get pressure with just the front four.

The organization has never displayed that attitude, and because of that McDermott hasn't done any of what you said. He also hasn't looked like he has any clue of how to beat them.

Just an all round head in the clouds clueless post.

11 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

I completely agree. Rodgers became human because our d got to him and rattled him.

I didn't say it was the fans, I said it was that thought process. To use a quote from Conor McGregor, "Winners focus on winning, Losers focus on winners"

Brady and Big Ben are beatable, especially if you believe that you can beat them. 

My god your posts are dreadful. Do you think a poster on the message board expressing doubt that the Bills can beat Brady has anything with the team believing it?

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Your post is so homerific, and just wrong. The attitude of a fan saying that about Brady and Rothlisberger has no impact on the team, and I've never seen a professional player on the Bills display it.

Brady has just owned the Bills, like the rest of the league despite their best efforts. They've tried it all, blitzing, sitting back in zone, building a team to get pressure with just the front four.

The organization has never displayed that attitude, and because of that McDermott hasn't done any of what you said. He also hasn't looked like he has any clue of how to beat them.

Just an all round head in the clouds clueless post.

My god your posts are dreadful. Do you think a poster on the message board expressing doubt that the Bills can beat Brady has anything with the team believing it?

Clearly you've never played sports at any kind of competitive level. On the off chance that you have I really hope if wasn't a team sport coz that would suck or your teammates.

10 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

When that 2014 front four was really motoring it had Brady befuddled in that season ender.  I know it was a dead rubber and the Pats subbed Brady at HT but they were getting to him and rattling him.  If we had stuck with that approach and not gone to Rex freaking Ryan we might have had more success in the years that followed.  To me the Bills look as though they don't believe that they can beat Brady. Strategy is one thing (I have always thought you have to beat him with 4 and pressure up the middle) but unless you believe it then as soon as he starts bringing his team back you will fold.   

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

When that 2014 front four was really motoring it had Brady befuddled in that season ender.  I know it was a dead rubber and the Pats subbed Brady at HT but they were getting to him and rattling him.  If we had stuck with that approach and not gone to Rex freaking Ryan we might have had more success in the years that followed.  To me the Bills look as though they don't believe that they can beat Brady. Strategy is one thing (I have always thought you have to beat him with 4 and pressure up the middle) but unless you believe it then as soon as he starts bringing his team back you will fold.   

Because they can't.

On 7/19/2018 at 1:53 PM, Cornette's Commentary said:

The Bills won that game for two reasons: 1.) Rodgers grossly overthrew what would have been an easy 70+ yard TD reception to Jordy Nelson  2.) JC Tretter couldn't block Mario Williams on that strip-sack play.

Pretty sure Jordy Nelson just dropped it. But, you can also say Gilmore dropped a pick 6 earlier in that game as well. 

Edited by Captain Murica
  • Like (+1) 1