Bills Seahawks parallel

10 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Clearly you've never played sports at any kind of competitive level. On the off chance that you have I really hope if wasn't a team sport coz that would suck or your teammates.

You're an idiot. I played college, and again you're saying stuff that makes no sense.

I've played teams that were better in polls and supposed to be better, never bother or gave two thoughts about it because we thought we could beat them. Usually we did.

The Bills have never had players that didn't believe they could beat the patriots. The patriots just out classed them.

Outside perception has nothing to do with the team. You're the one who can't differentiate between the two and sounds like you've never played sports at a high level.

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

When that 2014 front four was really motoring it had Brady befuddled in that season ender.  I know it was a dead rubber and the Pats subbed Brady at HT but they were getting to him and rattling him.  If we had stuck with that approach and not gone to Rex freaking Ryan we might have had more success in the years that followed.  To me the Bills look as though they don't believe that they can beat Brady. Strategy is one thing (I have always thought you have to beat him with 4 and pressure up the middle) but unless you believe it then as soon as he starts bringing his team back you will fold.   

I agree with what you're saying completely. He has found somewhat of a solution to that though with how quickly he gets the ball out over the last 3 years.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

On 7/19/2018 at 12:54 PM, Cornette's Commentary said:
On 7/19/2018 at 12:50 PM, dneveu said:

Just thought about this comparison this morning.  When Seattle made the playoffs in 2010 with a 7-9 team, everyone basically stated that they were the worst playoff team ever etc. and buffalo drew some comparisons to that when they made it last year despite being outscored, and blown out in several games.

Now looking at the roster's, and how the teams were assembled I see even more that we're trying to build something similar.  Buffalo is building a strong secondary, stopping the run, and making it hard for opposing offenses to score and move the ball.  The offense is obviously a work in progress, but outside of Doug Baldwin who was drafted in 2011 - Seattle has never really had a particularly strong group of receivers, and built their offense around a strong running and PA game.

I know in 2012, no one expected the Seahawks to have the best defense in the league - or to start a run of 6 straight playoff appearances.  Personally I don't think 2018 is the year (Rookie QB, Oline transition, young roster), but 2019 very well could be the year where Buffalo can actually make some serious noise in the AFC.  

Won't happen, so long as Brady and Roethlisberger are still playing.

The Bills should probably just forfeit every game until those two guys retire. I mean they can't get good enough to make serious noise and there's no reason to risk injury.

On 7/20/2018 at 11:16 PM, RobH063 said:

The Bills should probably just forfeit every game until those two guys retire. I mean they can't get good enough to make serious noise and there's no reason to risk injury.

What people are still failing to see is that we might potentially have one of our own kind of guys like that finally...Ok for the record I am definitely not saying Allen is going to be the next Brady but I have heard some say his ceiling could be a more athletic Roethlisburger.  The point is if Allen turns out to be a legitimate franchise QB we will be able to hang with anybody else out there with the defense we are going to have as well.  

6 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:
On 7/20/2018 at 11:16 PM, RobH063 said:

What people are still failing to see is that we might potentially have one of our own kind of guys like that finally...Ok for the record I am definitely not saying Allen is going to be the next Brady but I have heard some say his ceiling could be a more athletic Roethlisburger.  The point is if Allen turns out to be a legitimate franchise QB we will be able to hang with anybody else out there with the defense we are going to have as well. 

Exactly. I was being sarcastic with my comment. You don't give up and wait until Brady retires. You do everything you can to become division champion. Even sweeter if you can do it with the best still playing at the top of his game.

25 minutes ago, RobH063 said:

Exactly. I was being sarcastic with my comment. You don't give up and wait until Brady retires. You do everything you can to become division champion. Even sweeter if you can do it with the best still playing at the top of his game.

I know you were, I was agreeing with your point...I was just piggybacking off your comment and driving home the point further.  It's amazing to me the mentality some fans have.  

The Seahawks "dynasty" (Hard to say in the modern cap NFL what a dynasty is) was built off of 3 insanely good draft classes from 2010 to 2012. First they heisted Marshawn out of here only costing a pair of 4th round picks. The Seahawks also traded a 2nd round pick in 2009 (37th overall) for Denver's 2010 1st (which ended up being the 14th overall pick.) 

In 2010 the Seahawks added their franchise running back via a trade and then drafted Russell Okung, Earl Thomas, and Golden Tate with their 1st 3 picks. They also nabbed Cam Chancellor in the mid rounds. Then in 2011 they followed up that draft class with James Carpenter who was a fixture along their O-line, KJ Wright who has anchored one of their LB spots since then, Richard Sherman who of course was an All-Pro corner and they also nabbed useful starters, Byron Maxwell and Malcome Smith, late. They also nabbed Doug Baldwin as an undrafted free agent in 2011.

They followed up those insanely good draft classes with a phenomenal 2012 draft class. They drafted Bruce Irvin and Bobby Wagner in the first two rounds both players went on to be fixtures for their defense and then the mega-hit of Russell Wilson in the third round which pretty much put everything in place as they had a stacked defense and now enough pieces on offense. 

They haven't drafted that well since 2012 and at first because the 2010-2012 drafts were so great it didn't matter if they had a few bad draft classes. But as those draft classes got older and the subsequent draft classes didn't pan out it had a bad impact on the team that is starting to really be felt. 

I guess the point of this long ramble is that if the Bills hope to have a large run of success they need to put together 3-4 really great draft classes and toss on some good acquisitions via trade and free agency. 2017 looks good hopefully in 2018 with Allen, Edumonds and Phillips those players become a big part of the teams future. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/19/2018 at 12:50 PM, dneveu said:

Just thought about this comparison this morning.  When Seattle made the playoffs in 2010 with a 7-9 team, everyone basically stated that they were the worst playoff team ever etc. and buffalo drew some comparisons to that when they made it last year despite being outscored, and blown out in several games.

Now looking at the roster's, and how the teams were assembled I see even more that we're trying to build something similar.  Buffalo is building a strong secondary, stopping the run, and making it hard for opposing offenses to score and move the ball.  The offense is obviously a work in progress, but outside of Doug Baldwin who was drafted in 2011 - Seattle has never really had a particularly strong group of receivers, and built their offense around a strong running and PA game.

I know in 2012, no one expected the Seahawks to have the best defense in the league - or to start a run of 6 straight playoff appearances.  Personally I don't think 2018 is the year (Rookie QB, Oline transition, young roster), but 2019 very well could be the year where Buffalo can actually make some serious noise in the AFC.  

And we have a better QB prospect and will get him more talent.

I would like to add that after big Ben and switching to Rudolph the Steelers won't miss a beat and rule that division for another ten years.

On 7/20/2018 at 7:48 PM, Captain Murica said:

Pretty sure Jordy Nelson just dropped it. But, you can also say Gilmore dropped a pick 6 earlier in that game as well. 

Also as much as I loved Jordy I reckon with 50 yards to go and the angle Williams would have caught him. He did many, many things well as a receiver but running away from defensive backs wasn't really one of them. 

On 7/19/2018 at 2:55 PM, ProcessAccepted said:

Maybe Brady from 10 years ago beats the Eagles but the one from last year certainly lost to their backup QB. 

brady set a sb passing record last year of 505 yds. i don't think ten yrs. ago would have made a difference.  maybe the difference in that game was no malcom butler.....

Roethlisberger has had a fork in his back for a while now.  Frankly with all the skill talent they have, he's the one holding them back.

13 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

The Seahawks "dynasty" (Hard to say in the modern cap NFL what a dynasty is) was built off of 3 insanely good draft classes from 2010 to 2012. First they heisted Marshawn out of here only costing a pair of 4th round picks. The Seahawks also traded a 2nd round pick in 2009 (37th overall) for Denver's 2010 1st (which ended up being the 14th overall pick.) 

In 2010 the Seahawks added their franchise running back via a trade and then drafted Russell Okung, Earl Thomas, and Golden Tate with their 1st 3 picks. They also nabbed Cam Chancellor in the mid rounds. Then in 2011 they followed up that draft class with James Carpenter who was a fixture along their O-line, KJ Wright who has anchored one of their LB spots since then, Richard Sherman who of course was an All-Pro corner and they also nabbed useful starters, Byron Maxwell and Malcome Smith, late. They also nabbed Doug Baldwin as an undrafted free agent in 2011.

They followed up those insanely good draft classes with a phenomenal 2012 draft class. They drafted Bruce Irvin and Bobby Wagner in the first two rounds both players went on to be fixtures for their defense and then the mega-hit of Russell Wilson in the third round which pretty much put everything in place as they had a stacked defense and now enough pieces on offense. 

They haven't drafted that well since 2012 and at first because the 2010-2012 drafts were so great it didn't matter if they had a few bad draft classes. But as those draft classes got older and the subsequent draft classes didn't pan out it had a bad impact on the team that is starting to really be felt. 

I guess the point of this long ramble is that if the Bills hope to have a large run of success they need to put together 3-4 really great draft classes and toss on some good acquisitions via trade and free agency. 2017 looks good hopefully in 2018 with Allen, Edumonds and Phillips those players become a big part of the teams future. 

I think what happened in their more recent drafts can be a good kind of - lesson to be learned for the organization.  They added picks in 2017 because i think they recognized a depth issue with their team moving forward.  A few years ago they tried to make big moves to try and get over that SB hump and added guys like harvin and graham... which ended up costing them some top end contract controlled talent.

I honestly look at their roster, and they are not as bad as people predict.  Sherman wasn't as good as he was perviously, and they lost some players to injury, but they have improved their Oline and added a 1st round RB.  If they can get Earl Thomas on board, they will have a good defense.  Not a great one like in years past, but a good one.  Solid D-line rotation, solid DBs, and a young secondary.  Pair that with a top level QB, solid receivers and a much improved oline - i wouldn't sleep on them.

10 hours ago, dneveu said:

I think what happened in their more recent drafts can be a good kind of - lesson to be learned for the organization.  They added picks in 2017 because i think they recognized a depth issue with their team moving forward.  A few years ago they tried to make big moves to try and get over that SB hump and added guys like harvin and graham... which ended up costing them some top end contract controlled talent.

I honestly look at their roster, and they are not as bad as people predict.  Sherman wasn't as good as he was perviously, and they lost some players to injury, but they have improved their Oline and added a 1st round RB.  If they can get Earl Thomas on board, they will have a good defense.  Not a great one like in years past, but a good one.  Solid D-line rotation, solid DBs, and a young secondary.  Pair that with a top level QB, solid receivers and a much improved oline - i wouldn't sleep on them.

Much like the Steelers the Seahawks are going to have to build around their QB. Although Wilson's current contract isn't massive it is significant and after this upcoming season they will have to pay him a top 5 contract so if you have that much cap space invested in your QB you should build around that position (it also makes more sense to build around a QB when having a great QB is such a huge advantage and you want to protect your QB as an investment.) 

The Steelers have been able to cobble together an above average to good defense while putting big-time pieces around Big Ben (Big Ben's offensive line is much better in recent years, Brown, Bell and Juju are elite weapons too) now the Steelers defense is far from as good as it was earlier in Ben's career but they still field a top 10 or close defense every year (only year in recent memory where they were below 16 was 2014 where they were 18th hardly that bad.) 

I think the Seahawks will be fine long term even if they finish below 8 wins in 2018. The Seahawks are getting out of cap trouble in 2018, they will have a lot of cap space in 2019 (only five contracts above 7 million dollars in 2019 on the books so far) and their full complement of draft picks. Even if Wilson gets a massive extension his cap number for 2019 is 25 million (the last year of his second contract has a spike in cap number.) 

They Seahawks should be able to start rebuilding their offense rather quickly around Wilson and their defensive system still has some quality veteran players that can be a respectable unit with a few additions. 

5 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

It would be nice to have a world class QB but I would have no problem continuing to build our defense and hope Allen develops....

Not building up the offense could torpedo Allen's chances. My ideal scenario is AJ kills it in training camp and he gets thrown to the wolves behind this terrible O-line and suspect skill position core. Give Allen that first year to just learn the system and not learn footwork and reading defenses behind an awful supporting cast. You can develop bad habits if you are trying to learn around a bad offense. 

In 2019 the Bills could really put Allen in an offense where he can actually have success and the defense will still hopefully be talented. 

15 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Much like the Steelers the Seahawks are going to have to build around their QB. Although Wilson's current contract isn't massive it is significant and after this upcoming season they will have to pay him a top 5 contract so if you have that much cap space invested in your QB you should build around that position (it also makes more sense to build around a QB when having a great QB is such a huge advantage and you want to protect your QB as an investment.) 

The Steelers have been able to cobble together an above average to good defense while putting big-time pieces around Big Ben (Big Ben's offensive line is much better in recent years, Brown, Bell and Juju are elite weapons too) now the Steelers defense is far from as good as it was earlier in Ben's career but they still field a top 10 or close defense every year (only year in recent memory where they were below 16 was 2014 where they were 18th hardly that bad.) 

I think the Seahawks will be fine long term even if they finish below 8 wins in 2018. The Seahawks are getting out of cap trouble in 2018, they will have a lot of cap space in 2019 (only five contracts above 7 million dollars in 2019 on the books so far) and their full complement of draft picks. Even if Wilson gets a massive extension his cap number for 2019 is 25 million (the last year of his second contract has a spike in cap number.) 

They Seahawks should be able to start rebuilding their offense rather quickly around Wilson and their defensive system still has some quality veteran players that can be a respectable unit with a few additions. 

Not building up the offense could torpedo Allen's chances. My ideal scenario is AJ kills it in training camp and he gets thrown to the wolves behind this terrible O-line and suspect skill position core. Give Allen that first year to just learn the system and not learn footwork and reading defenses behind an awful supporting cast. You can develop bad habits if you are trying to learn around a bad offense. 

In 2019 the Bills could really put Allen in an offense where he can actually have success and the defense will still hopefully be talented. 

I agree with you mostly - I personally want to see Allen just win the Job as an ideal scenario. 

I also think Seattle has a good shot at that division FWIW - Just don't see a guy who's never missed a game, and never had a losing record all of a sudden qb'ing a 4-12 team... but thats just me. Prisco's got them at 5-11