Bills Seahawks parallel

Just thought about this comparison this morning.  When Seattle made the playoffs in 2010 with a 7-9 team, everyone basically stated that they were the worst playoff team ever etc. and buffalo drew some comparisons to that when they made it last year despite being outscored, and blown out in several games.

Now looking at the roster's, and how the teams were assembled I see even more that we're trying to build something similar.  Buffalo is building a strong secondary, stopping the run, and making it hard for opposing offenses to score and move the ball.  The offense is obviously a work in progress, but outside of Doug Baldwin who was drafted in 2011 - Seattle has never really had a particularly strong group of receivers, and built their offense around a strong running and PA game.

I know in 2012, no one expected the Seahawks to have the best defense in the league - or to start a run of 6 straight playoff appearances.  Personally I don't think 2018 is the year (Rookie QB, Oline transition, young roster), but 2019 very well could be the year where Buffalo can actually make some serious noise in the AFC.  

• Like (+1) 8

2 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Just thought about this comparison this morning.  When Seattle made the playoffs in 2010 with a 7-9 team, everyone basically stated that they were the worst playoff team ever etc. and buffalo drew some comparisons to that when they made it last year despite being outscored, and blown out in several games.

Now looking at the roster's, and how the teams were assembled I see even more that we're trying to build something similar.  Buffalo is building a strong secondary, stopping the run, and making it hard for opposing offenses to score and move the ball.  The offense is obviously a work in progress, but outside of Doug Baldwin who was drafted in 2011 - Seattle has never really had a particularly strong group of receivers, and built their offense around a strong running and PA game.

I know in 2012, no one expected the Seahawks to have the best defense in the league - or to start a run of 6 straight playoff appearances.  Personally I don't think 2018 is the year (Rookie QB, Oline transition, young roster), but 2019 very well could be the year where Buffalo can actually make some serious noise in the AFC.  

Won't happen, so long as Brady and Roethlisberger are still playing.

Just now, Cornette's Commentary said:

I guess - thats only a couple games a year though - and they're being assembled as a team to stop teams like that.  Bell won't be a steeler in 2019, and big ben's successor was drafted after his like 3rd straight season of saying he might retire.  Brady probably has what - 3 years left including this one?  I wouldn't put it past him to go further, but all it takes is one hit for his mind to change.  

The last 2 non-patriots/steelers super bowl reps were baltimore and denver.  Both of which were built around defense, specifically having a secondary that can stop high powered passing attacks.

11 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I think this has been Beane's plan, all along.

But I think that Seattle team was more, "the best 7-9 team," than it was, "the worst playoff team."  Leaps and bounds better than last year's Bills, IMO.

The BIG IF is if Josh Allen can play like Russel Wilson did and put up solid numbers without turning the football over. Seattle also had a  good O-Line and the key players they had on all levels of that defense were top 5 talent. If Allen plays well as a rookie starter I could see a comparison being made to Seattle.

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I think this has been Beane's plan, all along.

But I think that Seattle team was more, "the best 7-9 team," than it was, "the worst playoff team."  Leaps and bounds better than last year's Bills, IMO.

Seattle was actually better in 2011 than 2010, but the division was terrible in 2010. 

In 2010 - They were outscored by 97 points

28th on O, 27th on D in yards

23rd on O, 25th on D in points

31st rushing attack 19th passing from a yardage perspective, and had 20 INTs.  

Actually a couple parallels though. 

Both Buffalo and Seattle had new HCs and GMs.

Both had borderline starter QBs with bad supporting casts. And both teams dumped their borderline starter after the year.  

24 minutes ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

Time will catch up to both players. As the bills add more talent to the roster and are more balanced they will definitely be a challenge for the pats. All this is contingent on progression of Allen.

3 minutes ago, mschifano said:

Time will catch up to both players. As the bills add more talent to the roster and are more balanced they will definitely be a challenge for the pats. All this is contingent on progression of Allen.

Oh I would definitely agree.  Turnovers kill a defensive team more than anyone else.  Seattle had the strong run game with lynch to lean on when they were developing Wilson too.

11 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Seattle was actually better in 2011 than 2010, but the division was terrible in 2010. 

In 2010 - They were outscored by 97 points

28th on O, 27th on D in yards

23rd on O, 25th on D in points

31st rushing attack 19th passing from a yardage perspective, and had 20 INTs.  

Actually a couple parallels though. 

Both Buffalo and Seattle had new HCs and GMs.

Both had borderline starter QBs with bad supporting casts. And both teams dumped their borderline starter after the year.  

Holy cow, you're absolutely right.  I just looked at the scores of their losses in 2010 and they got their asses handed to them in - literally - every single loss.

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Holy cow, you're absolutely right.  I just looked at the scores of their losses in 2010 and they got their asses handed to them in - literally - every single loss.

Right?  They gave up 30+ 10 times in 18 games.  Pretty lousy team.  

They did draft their LT replacement, and added a tandem of future all-pro safeties in one draft.  As well as thurmond who was an important piece during their SB run.  Tate was also picked, but he never fit great in seattle and has been great with Jim bob and Stafford in detroit.

Edited by dneveu

46 minutes ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

Couldn't disagree with you more. That attitude is exactly what has held up back for almost 2 decades. It's what Coach McD is systematically changing.

For evidence that you're argument is wrong look at what our D was doing at the end of the 2014 season to top tier guys like Rodgers (before the U-turn with Rex). These players are human and experience emotion and doubt just like the rest of us. A stout defense can bring out the mistakes in any player or team.

5 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Couldn't disagree with you more. That attitude is exactly what has held up back for almost 2 decades. It's what Coach McD is systematically changing.

For evidence that you're argument is wrong look at what our D was doing at the end of the 2014 season to top tier guys like Rodgers (before the U-turn with Rex). These players are human and experience emotion and doubt just like the rest of us. A stout defense can bring out the mistakes in any player or team.

The Bills won that game for two reasons: 1.) Rodgers grossly overthrew what would have been an easy 70+ yard TD reception to Jordy Nelson  2.) JC Tretter couldn't block Mario Williams on that strip-sack play.

Edited by Cornette's Commentary

3 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

What bull manure!  It's not the fans' fault that the Bills have sucked for about 35 of their 58 years of existence.  That's on the owners and their minions in the FO since 1960.  They're the ones that hired all the crappy and mediocre coaches and players.

1 minute ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

The Bills won that game for two reasons: 1.) Rodgers grossly overthrew what would have been an easy 70+ yard TD reception to Jordy Nelson  2.) JC Tretter couldn't block Mario Williams on that strip-sack play.

I completely agree. Rodgers became human because our d got to him and rattled him.

I was pointing out the fallacy in the previous posters argument when they said we will never win as long as Brady and Big Ben are playing

1 minute ago, SoTier said:

What bull manure!  It's not the fans' fault that the Bills have sucked for about 35 of their 58 years of existence.  That's on the owners and their minions in the FO since 1960.  They're the ones that hired all the crappy and mediocre coaches and players.

I didn't say it was the fans, I said it was that thought process. To use a quote from Conor McGregor, "Winners focus on winning, Losers focus on winners"

Brady and Big Ben are beatable, especially if you believe that you can beat them. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

I completely agree. Rodgers became human because our d got to him and rattled him.

I was pointing out the fallacy in the previous posters argument when they said we will never win as long as Brady and Big Ben are playing

well...we haven't yet. your optimism is appreciated, but until we're out of the doldrums, the fact remains.

this year's wild card appearance was a nice boost, but I don't think many people are expecting a better team this year (I could be wrong).