What will Daboll's offense look like?

7 minutes ago, donbb said:

Daboll should tailor his offense each week to exploit our opponents deficiencies on defense, unfortunately I don't think the Bills have the personnel to do so. I hope fans have patience with Daboll to see him through the 2019 season.

That's the "party line" out of OBD but here's the thing.

A huge part of successful football is playing fast.  Pattern, BAM.  Pattern, BAM.  Pattern, BAM.   You've mastered the play so well that you don't have to think about what you need to do when you recognize it's Man, or Cover2, or Palms - you just react.

That's easy to achieve when you have a limited number of plays that are set up to look different and create mismatches by faking the opponent out.  It's harder to achieve when you have a large number of plays and they change every week.

It's a common theme, when a team improves dramatically with almost the same personnel and a different coach, to hear "Coach Wade came in and really simplified our defense" or "Coach Lynn just pared it down"  Rumor had it Roman was putting 100 plays into the game plan every week for the players to learn, then practicing about 30 and actually executing in the game maybe 15-20. 

It's hard to play fast in that scenario.

I'm all for tailoring the offense to the opponent, but it has to be done carefully and within reason to avoid overwhelming a young team/inexperienced QBs

• Like (+1) 3

30 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

I would posit that the University of Georgia was a competent team and the National Championship was a competitive situation.

The kid is only a freshman too.

You're sorta straw-manning me (a tendency of yours, I believe). I was talking about one play and one play only, and I wasn't talking about the Georgia game at all. I also said I liked the player a lot.

28 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

You're sorta straw-manning me (a tendency of yours, I believe). I was talking about one play and one play only, and I wasn't talking about the Georgia game at all. I also said I liked the player a lot.

Maybe I misinterpreted what you said in the quote below. Do you mean that you would like to see him make the exact same play that he made against Vanderbilt against a higher quality opponent? If so, I doubt that play is highly repeatable. Maybe you can clarify.

"That comparison means nothing to me. I like the player a lot, but it was a 45-0 game against a doormat with substandard defensive talent.  Do it against a competent team in a competitive situation and I'll give him his praise."

37 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

A huge part of successful football is playing fast.  Pattern, BAM.  Pattern, BAM.  Pattern, BAM.   You've mastered the play so well that you don't have to think about what you need to do when you recognize it's Man, or Cover2, or Palms - you just react.

That's easy to achieve when you have a limited number of plays that are set up to look different and create mismatches by faking the opponent out.  It's harder to achieve when you have a large number of plays and they change every week.

It's a common theme, when a team improves dramatically with almost the same personnel and a different coach, to hear "Coach Wade came in and really simplified our defense" or "Coach Lynn just pared it down"  Rumor had it Roman was putting 100 plays into the game plan every week for the players to learn, then practicing about 30 and actually executing in the game maybe 15-20. 

I'm all for tailoring the offense to the opponent, but it has to be done carefully and within reason to avoid overwhelming a young team/inexperienced QBs

It seemed like Daboll was getting plays in faster than Kiffin, but my memory could be bad.

Another Kiffin vs Daboll comparison below. Hurts didn't blossom under Daboll like some had hoped. I would have liked to have seen more of what he could have accomplished with Tua.

http://gridironnow.com/bama-offense-productive-brian-daboll-lane-kiffin/

11 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Maybe I misinterpreted what you said in the quote below. Do you mean that you would like to see him make the exact same play that he made against Vanderbilt against a higher quality opponent? If so, I doubt that play is highly repeatable. Maybe you can clarify.

First off, I think the scramble was nice, *and I like the player*. More importantly, though, the throw just wasn't that difficult. It was an easy loft, the game was out of hand, and the WR was WIDE OPEN. All I'm saying is that I don't think that play was all that impressive. He was accurate and did make the play, but as an elite prospect, he *should* make that play. All decent qbs should be able to make that throw. But even an inferior player like Jalen Hurts can make that play 7 times out 10 (assuming he scrambles successfully) too given how wide open the player was. 

As to your point above, I'd like to see him make that throw against a team with a better secondary defender who hadn't been left in the dust on a play at the tail end of a blowout. 

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

First off, I think the scramble was nice, *and I like the player*. More importantly, though, the throw just wasn't that difficult. It was an easy loft, the game was out of hand, and the WR was WIDE OPEN. All I'm saying is that I don't think that play was all that impressive. He was accurate and did make the play, but as an elite prospect, he *should* make that play. All decent qbs should be able to make that throw. But even an inferior player like Jalen Hurts can make that play 7 times out 10 (assuming he scrambles successfully) too given how wide open the player was. 

As to your point above, I'd like to see him make that throw against a team with a better secondary defender who hadn't been left in the dust on a play at the tail end of a blowout. 

Well, I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree. I don’t think too many college QBs could have made that play.

Tua was a 5* recruit and the number 1 ranked dual threat QB coming out of HS.

Stewart is a pretty fast WR and he had a lot of time to run around while Tua was scrambling. I doubt many DBs could have kept up with him.

Finally, Vanderbilt wasn’t that bad. They beat Kansas State, who was ranked in the top 20 at the time, and Tennessee at Nyland Stadium.

Edited by Sky Diver

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Back in the golden days, it was quite common for Kelly and Co. to go into a game with no more than 8-12 plays and then run variations off those to exploit favorable matchups. Plays known stone cold by talented players who could execute on the fly with a QB that could read a defense. 

God, I miss those days. 

2 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Well, I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree. I don’t think too many college QBs could have made that play.

Tua was a 5* recruit and the number 1 ranked dual threat QB coming out of HS.

Stewart is a pretty fast WR and he had a lot of time to run around while Tua was scrambling. I doubt many DBs could have kept up with him.

Finally, Vanderbilt wasn’t that bad. They beat Kansas State, who was ranked in the top 20 at the time, and Tennessee at Nyland Stadium.

6-26 in the SEC the last 4 years. Regardless, I like Tua and he looks like an elite prospect to me.

On 7/19/2018 at 10:42 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You can just remove homer 1. They blocked me on Twitter because I disagreed that Dennison's offense was not a fit for Tyrod. I kept it civil the whole time and when he got canned and Taylor got traded, I simply stated: "I think I got that one right, sometimes the guy who knows less about X's and O's knows more about fit and scheme." - blocked! Go figure, I wanted to actually become a subscriber too but not anymore.

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Back in the golden days, it was quite common for Kelly and Co. to go into a game with no more than 8-12 plays and then run variations off those to exploit favorable matchups. Plays known stone cold by talented players who could execute on the fly with a QB that could read a defense. 

God, I miss those days. 

...remember KC's OC Al Saunders?......he signed with the Deadskins as OC and it was purported his playbook was 700 PAGES......700!...makes "War and Peace" look like Cliff Notes.....talk about insanity..........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

13 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...remember KC's OC Al Saunders?......he signed with the Deadskins as OC and it was purported his playbook was 700 PAGES......700!...makes "War and Peace" look like Cliff Notes.....talk about insanity..........

I’m proud of myself that I just finished Anna Karenina. 860 pages. War and Peace is 1225 pages. Tolstoy was long winded. 

2 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

I’m proud of myself that I just finished Anna Karenina. 860 pages. War and Peace is 1225 pages. Tolstoy was long winded. 

...so now read Saunder's playbook and there will be a quiz tomorrow at 10AM.....miss ONE and expect the TURK.......

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...so now read Saunder's playbook and there will be a quiz tomorrow at 10AM.....miss ONE and expect the TURK.......

That’s a tome. I guess you can’t be too stupid to be a successful NFL player.

• 3 weeks later...