Step-by-step, how the Bills knew Josh Allen was right for them

29 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

His teammates don’t think what he did as a young teen has any significance, but you seem awfully concerned about it. If I thought my QB was a racist, I would be looking for another team. Curious how you can support the Bills given your malice towards Allen.

I think it's possible you have missed a bit of a sar chasm here.

33 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I DO believe Beane.  Everything I have heard from him seems like he is completely straight when he talks.  McD is all coach-speak, but not Beane. 

Particularly in this case.  Beane is VERY serious about how he uses his picks, and if he had major problems with Allen, he wouldn't have moved up for him.  It's obvious by  where they took him that they really liked him,  so what he says in this interview is totally believable to me.  

I believe he believes. I pray he’s correct in his belief. 

12 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

There is some really good stuff in that article.......

It is as I always thought about the completion percentage.....they didnt give him a lot of stuff that is easy to complete to keep that up.....pro style offense......

The only thing is....now we need to see him complete the easy stuff so we know he can do it....i will trust our staff

John, while I've come around on Allen from my pre-draft skepticism, I'm still "wary" of his admittedly pedestrian college stats.  I do like the fact, though, that those who dig a little deeper are recognizing that Allen didn't get the same type of "easy" throws that beef up comp. % the way the other top QBs did.

Of course Beane is going to talk up the Bills' evaluation of Allen to appease fans and raise their comfort level with the pick.

I'm very excited for TC to start and we can see what he has learned so far.

Just now, eball said:

John, while I've come around on Allen from my pre-draft skepticism, I'm still "wary" of his admittedly pedestrian college stats.  I do like the fact, though, that those who dig a little deeper are recognizing that Allen didn't get the same type of "easy" throws that beef up comp. % the way the other top QBs did.

Of course Beane is going to talk up the Bills' evaluation of Allen to appease fans and raise their comfort level with the pick.

I'm very excited for TC to start and we can see what he has learned so far.

When I look at his college numbers.....I look at two things

Scheme - how many throws were in there to make it easy to complete (like for instance in Sam Darnold's offense)

and

Last year the numbers were not great......but the year before that he had good numbers....the difference?   The level of talent in his pass catcher's

Just now, John from Riverside said:

When I look at his college numbers.....I look at two things

Scheme - how many throws were in there to make it easy to complete (like for instance in Sam Darnold's offense)

and

Last year the numbers were not great......but the year before that he had good numbers....the difference?   The level of talent in his pass catcher's

And the offensive line.

55 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

His teammates don’t think what he did as a young teen has any significance, but you seem awfully concerned about it. If I thought my QB was a racist, I would be looking for another team. Curious how you can support the Bills given your malice towards Allen.

Here’s why I said that.  In a thread about Allen, you felt the need to knock Rosen.  I agree on I don’t think Allen is a racist. But:

1) I get that people are excited but so much stuff is fluff pieces.  Which Bills Qb didn’t work hard or try to embrace the city?  I’m sick of fluff and want results.

2). Allen had some real issues in college.  Sub 60% college passers (in the last 10 years, I’m sure someone will bring up Otto Graham’s stats in college as counter) fail at a tremendous rate in the nfl.  Folks make a lot of excuses for his performance.  But a sub 60% passer, sub 2,000 yard passer in the MWC going 7th overall worries me.

3) besides perhaps Dawkins, their offensive evaluations have been terrible.  Fully on board with the defense but this is the problem with an offensive coach.

4) I think we should have taken Rosen.  It bothers me that the Bills seem like they didn’t evaluate him as much as other qbs. I thought Allen was the worst” but you still completely evaluate him.

5) i feel like Rosen “fell” because a) fans/ coaches didn’t think he was totally devoted to football (I get that to an extent) or b) disagrees with his politics or things he said (which is pathetic).  I’m guessing I’m not on the same page with Allen politically but that would have no factor in my view of him as a prospect.

ive been on this board for a long time.  I’ve been called a homer many, many times.  I love this team much more than I should.  I hate feeling like the Bills blew one of the most important picks in franchise history on a flawed qb, which is a pattern for this team.  But as I’ve said many times, I’d rather have the Bills succeed but than be right.  I hate this feeling.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Here’s why I said that.  In a thread about Allen, you felt the need to knock Rosen.  I agree on I don’t think Allen is a racist. But:

1) I get that people are excited but so much stuff is fluff pieces.  Which Bills Qb didn’t work hard or try to embrace the city?  I’m sick of fluff and want results.

2). Allen had some real issues in college.  Sub 60% college passers (in the last 10 years, I’m sure someone will bring up Otto Graham’s stats in college as counter) fail at a tremendous rate in the nfl.  Folks make a lot of excuses for his performance.  But a sub 60% passer, sub 2,000 yard passer in the MWC going 7th overall worries me.

3) besides perhaps Dawkins, their offensive evaluations have been terrible.  Fully on board with the defense but this is the problem with an offensive coach.

4) I think we should have taken Rosen.  It bothers me that the Bills seem like they didn’t evaluate him as much as other qbs. I thought Allen was the worst” but you still completely evaluate him.

5) i feel like Rosen “fell” because a) fans/ coaches didn’t think he was totally devoted to football (I get that to an extent) or b) disagrees with his politics or things he said (which is pathetic).  I’m guessing I’m not on the same page with Allen politically but that would have no factor in my view of him as a prospect.

ive been on this board for a long time.  I’ve been called a homer many, many times.  I love this team much more than I should.  I hate feeling like the Bills blew one of the most important picks in franchise history on a flawed qb, which is a pattern for this team.  But as I’ve said many times, I’d rather have the Bills succeed but than be right.  I hate this feeling.

It would not shock me at all to see AJM start the season......

And I wont crucify Josh Allen for that....QBs mature at different rates and to give him some time to get his feet under him would not be a bad thing at all.

I am actually hoping AJM is a uncovered gem....which will give us some time

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

It would not shock me at all to see AJM start the season......

And I wont crucify Josh Allen for that....QBs mature at different rates and to give him some time to get his feet under him would not be a bad thing at all.

I am actually hoping AJM is a uncovered gem....which will give us some time

If Josh Allen doesn't start on day one, he's a bust.  Period.  You don't draft a project at #7 overall.

22 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Just now, Sky Diver said:

Why would you say that you don’t think you are on the same page politically as Allen? Has Allen ever said anything about his political beliefs?

Poking fun at opposing players is a long standing tradition, even former Bills’ players. I’m not sure why having some fun at Rosen’s expense is such an issue. No one seems to get riled up by making fun of Brady. There is a double standard for some reason.

43 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Why would you say that you don’t think you are on the same page politically as Allen? Has Allen ever said anything about his political beliefs?

Poking fun at opposing players is a long standing tradition, even former Bills’ players. I’m not sure why having some fun at Rosen’s expense is such an issue. No one seems to get riled up by making fun of Brady. There is a double standard for some reason.

You bring up Rosen all the time because he knocked the education Alabama football players get. 

But it bigger picture, the Allen vs Rosen debate will be a big debate for this team going forward.  And yup, I could be wrong on Allen but I’m guessing a guy from rural California has a different political than a guy who grew up in a diverse north Buffalo neighborhood.

22 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You bring up Rosen all the time because he knocked the education Alabama football players get. 

But it bigger picture, the Allen vs Rosen debate will be a big debate for this team going forward.  And yup, I could be wrong on Allen but I’m guessing a guy from rural California has a different political than a guy who grew up in a diverse north Buffalo neighborhood.

I have a good friend from Birmingham, AL.

He tells me the really smart kids in Alabama get the hell out and go to a real school elsewhere.

The sort of smart kids stick around home and go to Auburn.

The bottom feeders go to University of Alabama.  LOL.

Roll tide!

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

The vetting process started back in August of last year

So, what did the Buffalo Bills see in Allen that ultimately led general manager Brandon Beane to trade up and select him with the No. 7 overall pick?

What was evident from the article was that this regime was committed to coming out of this draft with a qb. Getting their guy was their priority right from the start. It seems to me that even if a higher rated player was on the board, such as Barkley or Chubb, they were focusing on determining which qb was the best fit for them. Prior regimes under Marv, Nix and Whaley dithered on the issue and didn't come close to the level of evaluation that this regime put in on the position. That is one of the reasons why I'm so encouraged about them. They had a plan and they exquisitely executed it. No fumbling and bumbling in the process. 

3 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I have a good friend from Birmingham, AL.

He tells me the really smart kids in Alabama get the hell out and go to a real school elsewhere.

The sort of smart kids stick around home and go to Auburn.

The bottom feeders go to University of Alabama.  LOL.

Roll tide!

If Sky Diver leaves a package at your door and it is ticking my suggestion is to run in the opposite direction. :devil:

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

They lied? Or they knew he would be there later based on intel from other teams. I also don’t think they wanted to take a qb in the 1st for Ben’s psyche. They did well by getting him a WR first to replace pothead (but it was Rudolph’s WR from ok state so)

They took a S in the first, no? They had no choice there. Their secondary has doomed them since Polamalu retired. 

Ben's pshyche was still hurt by them drafting Mason in the 3rd!

I do think Rudolph was a value pick for them in the third.

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Hey, hey.  I thought all these teams drafted BPA because doing otherwise dooms a team to mediocrity.  Think I read that here, or in a Buddy Nix interview, or somewhere.

They drafted Terrel Edmunds, Tremaine's brother.

Interestingly, I do think the Steelers' picks over the last few years have been very unimpressive. Granted, they weren't in any position to take the elite talent of any draft being in the 20s usually, but it seems like the Steelers aren't knocking any picks out of the park lately. The 2017 draft class might be alright, but 2015-2016, yikes.