Could a multi QB offense work?

JMO, but I think -Today- every team is either satisfied with or excited about their future QB on their team. Which, in my 6 decades plus watching NFL, is unique. Sure, a trick play or short yardage situation may lend to another guy taking a snap or 2, but the concept of platooning QB’s has no validity. Again, JMO.

I just want to clarify a bit. I was not suggesting that Buffalo should or would incorporate multiple QBs or any other team other than the Ravens, which if you read the following link then maybe you could understand why they could be a template this season. I was only suggesting that maybe in the near future we might witness a different type of offensive strategy, one where 2 QBs are in on the same play but moreso where they are in at different times during the same game, based on the flow of that particular game. 

Some of you refer to the past with this approach and imo that has nothing to do with the future and/or of what I’m referring to. This game changes all the time, the NFL is always trying to keep it fresh and exciting. For those who think that this innovation holds no merit I think that you might be in for a surprise. 

If I had to pick a coach who would be a good candidate to use different QBs at different times in the same game not due to injury I would suggest Gruden as a good possibility. He loves to glom QBs and it wouldn’t surprise me if he used “relief pitchers” if he didn’t like what he is seeing on the field. I don’t believe that he would as long as he has a healthy Carr playing but if that were to ever change then I could see him doing something like that. I think that the time for something like this offensive concept isn’t too far off or away simply due to the lack of marquis QBs in the league.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/20/ravens-practicing-plays-where-multiple-quarterbacks-touch-the-ball/

The Sanchez/Tebow experiment was hilarious, but I could see the Ravens doing what the Steelers did with O'Donnell and Stewart back in Stewart's first two years.  They were somewhat successful.  I would start Jackson at quarterback as soon as he's ready, but there's nothing wrong with trying him to get him the ball in open space on a limited basis in the mean time whether lined up at QB, RB, or WR.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/19/2018 at 7:12 AM, row_33 said:

Craig Morton and Roger Staubach was probably the last time it worked?

each play for at least one game

Tom Landry's protege Dan Reeves ran the QB shuffle in Denver with John Elway and Gary Kubiak.

In 1997 Marv Levy alternated starts with Todd Collins and Alex Van Pelt.

On 7/19/2018 at 10:31 AM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Remember 'Strockley' for the Dolphins?  There was a fair amount of swapping out of Don Strock / David Woodley for the Dolphins in the early 80s, since I believe neither was setting the world on fire.

Woodstrock

NFL teams platoon at every position except QB and kicker. I get kicker but it seems strange that no one has really tried it at QB.

I don’t think it’s because it wouldn’t work. I think the real reason is financial and personal. If you have two good QBs there’s no way you could keep them together so it’s not stable as a concept. One or both would want out so that they could be the undisputed starter for another team and there’s no way you could pay two good QBs and have any money left for the rest of the team.

Edited by vincec

3 hours ago, vincec said:

NFL teams platoon at every position except QB and kicker.

I am in no way demeaning what today's bigger, stronger, and faster players do, but there was a time that many players did play offense and defense.  It's a different era today.

22 hours ago, vincec said:

Woodstrock

NFL teams platoon at every position except QB and kicker. I get kicker but it seems strange that no one has really tried it at QB.

I don’t think it’s because it wouldn’t work. I think the real reason is financial and personal. If you have two good QBs there’s no way you could keep them together so it’s not stable as a concept. One or both would want out so that they could be the undisputed starter for another team and there’s no way you could pay two good QBs and have any money left for the rest of the team.

NFL teams usually do not platoon the O-Line either.  The O-Line and the QB tend to work more in unison to set blocking and blitz and platooning either will impact that.

Could platooning either by series, by quarter or in game time frame, or even by game work?  Yeah, but only if you have 2 distinct QBs that neither is good enough by themselves for long term success.  The issue becomes if one starts to win or move the ball more consistently- then you look like a fool as a coach for playing the other.

Flutie/Johnson could have been a great example of that as Flutie provided a free wheeling, open concept and Johnson a more traditional drop back role.  Neither was good enough to hold a long term starting NFL role and both had strengths and weaknesses, but they never would have co-existed long if this had been tried because both wanted to start.

I think in the end the competitive nature of these guys would destroy any chance at it working long term.  Baltimore will be ok if they limit Lamar’s role to more wildcat style plays, but if they pull Flacco and try to run entire series with Jackson - I think Flacco will flip out and the team will begin to splinter behind different camps.