Shaq Lawson will not make it

Punt75

1 hour ago, Punt75 said:

The Buffalo News today spent 2 pages on Shaq.  How he played at 285 lbs. at Clemson and that now he's in the 260-265 range to get quicker.  Also, he's been in the DC's system for a year and understands what he needs to do.

This guy plays 'stiff'!  He runs awkwardly to make a play.  Anyone watching good football players and athletes understands how they run.  Shaq doesn't run well enough and doesn't have the quickness off the line to make any type of impact.  He might as well put the weight back on and try to make it as an interior lineman.

I don't care who drafted him from the Bills.  He's not good enough.

• Haha (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Why cut him before seeing if the weirdness is gone with the weight? Maybe his thighs where rubbing together and now they aren’t?

Maybe we have cut him, and he just hasn’t gotten off the team yet?          ?

(For clarification and those who came in late, I’m jesting about how quickly he gets off the line.) 

Edited by Augie

3 hours ago, Punt75 said:

The Buffalo News today spent 2 pages on Shaq.  How he played at 285 lbs. at Clemson and that now he's in the 260-265 range to get quicker.  Also, he's been in the DC's system for a year and understands what he needs to do.

This guy plays 'stiff'!  He runs awkwardly to make a play.  Anyone watching good football players and athletes understands how they run.  Shaq doesn't run well enough and doesn't have the quickness off the line to make any type of impact.  He might as well put the weight back on and try to make it as an interior lineman.

I don't care who drafted him from the Bills.  He's not good enough.

He's good enough. 

He's not too awkward to play football. But yeah, he might not fit the role the new regime would like him to play. Like Ragland, he might fit another D scheme better. 

Hope he manages to fit here. It'd be a shame to let another high pick go.

3 hours ago, MJS said:

Gosh, couldn't you have told Whaley before they drafted him that he "runs weird"? Could have saved us a lot of trouble.

Weird nobody saw this on the endless hours of tape they watched on him coming out of college. And to think most had him projected in the first round!

Exactly,  he wasn't a fast or quick edge rusher to begin with. The Lawson/Ragland picks were garbage. 

Whether he makes it or not, can we once and for all attribute this pick to Rex?

http://proplayerinsiders.com/nfl-player-team-news-features/bills-select-shaq-lawson/

Friday morning during his introductory press conference, Lawson was asked about what his first impressions of the Bills organization were. Excitedly, he described how much he wanted to join the squad because of Rex Ryan.

“I knew Buffalo was sitting there at 19 and I was like, ‘Please come get me Rex,’” he said. “And when I got that call from New York, I knew I was coming to Buffalo and it’s just been a great city. I experienced a lot this morning. I’ve seen the city and places and things like that.”

He also shared the story of when he first met Ryan while he was a freshman at Clemson. He and Ryan’s son were moving into their dorms, and shared a pre-destined moment with the head coach.

“I first met Rex Ryan was my freshman year at Clemson. Me and Seth were both moving into the freshman dorms and he was just talking about how he had two first-round picks that attended Hargrave and he said maybe that can be you one day and that was the first thing that he said to me when I first met Rex

His comp coming out of college was Courtney Upshaw formerly of the Ravens. 

So far that’s been right on. 

The losing weight to get quicker is a last ditch effort, the scheme excuse is meant to delude fans and coaches and buy time. 

On draft night Mayock put up tape of Lawson getting stonewalled by Left Tackles and cited his lack of explosiveness. It’s been a spot on critique. 

He gets mop up sacks and tackles, nothing else. Too slow to play OLB, too small to play on the line. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
22 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

His comp coming out of college was Courtney Upshaw formerly of the Ravens. 

So far that’s been right on. 

The losing weight to get quicker is a last ditch effort, the scheme excuse is meant to delude fans and coaches and buy time. 

On draft night Mayock put up tape of Lawson getting stonewalled by Left Tackles and cited his lack of explosiveness. It’s been a spot on critique. 

He gets mop up sacks and tackles, nothing else. Too slow to play OLB, too small to play on the line. 

I don't think Shaq Lawson is going to make it but what Mayock said on draft night is almost the complete opposite of what you said.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5TJzJnOnK4

3 hours ago, #34fan said:

Could we slide Shaq down to DT Perhaps?... -Edmunds to DE, which seems like a better fit for him anyway?

i thought this would be a good idea last year to kick him inside next to kyle on passing downs, but now with star and harry, that probably would have no benefit.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, MJS said:

Gosh, couldn't you have told Whaley before they drafted him that he "runs weird"? Could have saved us a lot of trouble.

Weird nobody saw this on the endless hours of tape they watched on him coming out of college. And to think most had him projected in the first round!

Rex loved players who aren't very good.