Bills Thin on “O”

2 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Hypothetical- defense sits in top 5 and offense controls clock/doesnt turn ball over- maybe a not so awful season?

That would suggest they can make first downs and control the LOS. Looks like a tall order from this group. 

• Like (+1) 2

The key term (actually used in the description of the Colts) is established depth.  Buffalo doesn't have it at a lot of skill positions.  Of course, at QB they don't have an established starter either, and might not at RB if McCoy has to sit out for any length of time.  It think they do have some depth now at TE with O'Leary developing nicely.  At WR, there's Benjamin and Kerley who provide the only "established" talent at the position.  Everybody else either remains unproven or is a journeyman type.  That does not preclude some youngsters from stepping up and demonstrating they can be solid role players or better.  They just haven't done it yet.

Not any more thin than last year...

when we made the playoffs

I think this national narrative that we're going to suck this year is funnier than any other year they've said it... which has been pretty much every year.

RBs have improved because losing Tolbert is addition by subtraction.

WRs have improved with a theoretically healthy Benjamin we'll have from the beginning of the season. Throw in odds on a couple other WRs showing up in ways whatever crap we had at WR last year didn't show up and I think maybe they're improved significantly.

TEs with Clay and O'leary are at least the same.

OL is the single question mark, but Dawkins was good last year and will likely improve. Mills was decent, at times, but will have competition. Incognito and Wood are losses, but that's really only because their floor was well-known, not because their ceiling was very high. I think Groy / Miller / Bodine / the 5th round rookie G we drafted might take their lumps but stand a good chance of being better than last year.

QB is already deeper than last year for sure, and given the abhorrence many had for the last QB we had (who still managed to be the 1st starting QB in into 17 years of the Buffalo Bills to make the playoffs), one would assume that most would also say our QB is upgraded. :flirt:

I think 2018 looks bright. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, transplantbillsfan said:

Not any more thin than last year...

when we made the playoffs

I think this national narrative that we're going to suck this year is funnier than any other year they've said it... which has been pretty much every year.

RBs have improved because losing Tolbert is addition by subtraction.

WRs have improved with a theoretically healthy Benjamin we'll have from the beginning of the season. Throw in odds on a couple other WRs showing up in ways whatever crap we had at WR last year didn't show up and I think maybe they're improved significantly.

TEs with Clay and O'leary are at least the same.

OL is the single question mark, but Dawkins was good last year and will likely improve. Mills was decent, at times, but will have competition. Incognito and Wood are losses, but that's really only because their floor was well-known, not because their ceiling was very high. I think Groy / Miller / Bodine / the 5th round rookie G we drafted might take their lumps but stand a good chance of being better than last year.

QB is already deeper than last year for sure, and given the abhorrence many had for the last QB we had (who still managed to be the 1st starting QB in into 17 years of the Buffalo Bills to make the playoffs), one would assume that most would also say our QB is upgraded. :flirt:

I think 2018 looks bright. :thumbsup:

I appreciate your enthusiasm. I share some of it. I actually was impressed with what the team achieved last season. I also think that McDermott will take us to the Playoffs again in the future. 

To have an Offense so bad you have to fire your OC is the point my enthusiasm ends. It left me skeptical. I have this gut feeling that the problems won't be ironed out completely next season. 

I'm optimistic and realistic. I think the team is on the right track. It does have a feel of a master plan in the moves that have been made. I trust the process. I just think the offense is going to probably be still be a weakness. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, 1st&ten said:

I get a kick out of these articles citing the Bills O-Line as thin, shallow, etc.  The new\young guys are 300 LB men who could end up playing well. I think it would be better to call them unproven.

i was listening to eric winston yesterday talk about russell bodine. i believe he played with him so i'll take his word for it. he said bodine has made some good improvement over the last year and is really coming into his own. he also mentioned that he's a terrific run blocker. something that wood left to be desired. also, i believe i read somewhere that he gave up one sack for the entire season last year.

i think we'll...i...will be pleasantly surprised with the oline play this year.

edit: he also talked about ajm and said he's gonna be out to prove himself and that he's a gunslinger. well, he does have 2 championships and holds all the passing records for alabama....not to mention he staged a comeback and should have had a playoff win over the steelers. fwiw

Edited by billsredneck1

Relax Billsfan.  I was just kidding and meant no harm.  I hope you have a good day, and my kids would agree with you I am a dorky at times.  I guess we know know each other.?

seriously, I share you’re concerns, but have hope with. The Cincy Center, Groy and Dawkins, and only hope. Miller gets. Back on the field. As Ducasse is painful to watch.  Mills is eh.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Relax Billsfan.  I was just kidding and meant no harm.  I hope you have a good day, and my kids would agree with you I am a dorky at times.  I guess we know know each other.?

seriously, I share you’re concerns, but have hope with. The Cincy Center, Groy and Dawkins, and only hope. Miller gets. Back on the field. As Ducasse is painful to watch.  Mills is eh.

I was teasing as well! Just some good fun/banter ?