Adolphus Washington not up for trade, per McBeane

24 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Like what? 

A 6th round pick? Washington has had a few flashes but overall he's been pretty bad.

i think Yolo point was to counter. Bills might well be glad to move on.

Whether we agree on that or not.
I would like to see him develop into a solid rotational player. His strength may have been he could move from DE to inside on downs.

some players need environment to be their best. This year with Star Harry and Kyle he will need to show more than he has so far. Lawson as well.
that is likely why Murphy is a Bill now even though picked up with an injury !!

1 minute ago, 3rdand12 said:

i think Yolo point was to counter. Bills might well be glad to move on.

Whether we agree on that or not.
I would like to see him develop into a solid rotational player. His strength may have been he could move from DE to inside on downs.

some players need environment to be their best. This year with Star Harry and Kyle he will need to show more than he has so far. Lawson as well.
that is likely why Murphy is a Bill now even though picked up with an injury !!

...good call AND spot on as usual bud.....the tariff is $660 grand......

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

I guess my point was what is the point in trading him for a low round draft pick? (Something Beane seems to value for some reason)

Keep him and see if he can improve. 

i dig ya.

I would not trade him ( like Ragaland ) till the the final roster crunch. if possible of course. if an offer comes like Glenns ? well sometimes ya cut your perceived losses

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Horrible Harry will be a nose tackle and Star's primary backup.

Adolphus Washington will be a 3-technique and Kyle's primary backup.

You need at least 4 defensive tackles on the roster.

If anyone's pushing Washington off the roster, its Tenny Palepoi, and I don't seen that happening.

I imagine they'll want to keep 5 too.  While I don't remember much from Washington, which is neither bad or good, he had a decent statistical season relative to KW. He had 250 fewer snaps and had 33 TT vs KW's 41. He had 4 TFLs vs KW's 1. Kyle had him 3-1 in sacks.  In his third season, he could have a nice little breakout that makes us realize he is worth keeping. We'll see.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...good call AND spot on as usual bud.....the tariff is $660 grand......

see my note about Ragaland below.

1 minute ago, TPS said:

I imagine they'll want to keep 5 too.  While I don't remember much from Washington, which is neither bad or good, he had a decent statistical season relative to KW. He had 250 fewer snaps and had 33 TT vs KW's 41. He had 4 TFLs vs KW's 1. Kyle had him 3-1 in sacks.  In his third season, he could have a nice little breakout that makes us realize he is worth keeping. We'll see.

fair take

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...and he is due a whopping 660 grand for 2018.......Jesus, the Rockpile Beerman makes more........

He had a good strategy cherry picking in my section, but you have to give him credit for knowing what works. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think that there clearly wasn't any offers for Washington or else they would have taken even a 7th for him. That being said I think he more than likely makes the roster as the 4th DT. I don't see a 4th DT on the roster that will push Washington out of a job. Kyle, Star and Phillips are locks to make the roster, that leaves Washington with the 4th spot as his to lose.

51 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Okaaaaay, but hasn't Beane said stuff like this right before, I dunno, trading Sammy and Dareus and and ....

I can't recall ANY story about either of those two before it blew my mind to hear the news......honestly. I recall it being a complete shock....(with Sammy anyway)

3 hours ago, stony said:

I expect big things from him this year next to a space eater like Star.  

Me too! Hes going into year 3, year 2 in this scheme, he definitely has natural talent and was regarded as a penetrating DT. I can see him having a break out year . If him and Lawson can play to their potential we'll have a very deep and talented DL

4 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

Said it months ago, he is getting better. No interest in trading/cutting him. He can thrive in this defense.....as per Cappacio. 

Teams called, we passed. Take it FWIW

He didn't thrive in this defense last year, did he?

Also, who would trade for him? He's the type you pick up off the waiver wire for cheap, not give up assets for.

42 minutes ago, 1st&ten said:

Who's  Horrible Harry ?   H. Phillips ?

That's what they called him in college. Cool nickname, I think.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 1st&ten said:

Who's  Horrible Harry ?   H. Phillips ?

That’s Phillips twitter handle 

3 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

What was he like as a DE before he shifted inside?

He was 1st team all American as a DT after Joey Bosa took his DE spot and he moved inside - even so I would say he’s more of a pass rusher who has the size to play inside vs a true penetrating DT who can also play the run (like a Dareus). He’s incredibly athletic for his size, Ive just felt he lacks football intelligence. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Please tell me where you saw this

I would like to be wrong

I see a player who despite his size gets pushed around in the run game and despite being known as a pass rusher cant seem to get to the QB

LOL it was a typo.  I agree with you...I meant to say he "showed little promise"

3 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

That's not true. He VASTLY improved in the run game last year

The defense was really good against the run...

2 hours ago, TPS said:

Nice post! But how many rushing TDs did he have?

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Not up for trade, but up for release....

So "teams called" but Beane would rather cut him?  "Sorry, we're not interested in any draft picks.  We're just going to waive him at the end of training camp."  Now that would be a brilliant move. 

He was used to play a lot of one technique last season after Marcel Dareus was traded.  That's not his skill set.  His best fit is depth behind Kyle Williams.  The Bills signed Star Lotulelei to fill the hole left by Dareus' departure.  Harrison Phillips, despite not being a real massive guy is a better fit at one technique, backing up Lotulelei.  He's strong as an ox and his wrestling background is great for giving him an understanding of leverage and hand usage in one technique.

14 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I think he is gonna get pushed right off the team by Horrible Harry.......

but I do hope im wrong

i don't think he's going anywhere this year because without him we really don't have a good rotation. i don't know what the best pairing is...ie.  adolphus/ star  or adolphus /kyle.

i've been hoping he'd turn into something, but not so sure going into his 3rd yr.

Edited by billsredneck1