Thurman played entire career with partially torn ACL.

1 hour ago, Tcali said:

you cant make the argument. and i love roger and thurman---but the 1st of that kinda RB was Lydell Mitchell.

thurman an absolute Hof famer but nowhere near top 10.

I'll make the argument. Not because I'm a Homer but because it's factual. 

Thomas ranks 10th all time in Total yards from Scrimmage. All but Jerry Rice are RBs , so technically he's 9th amongst RBs. 3 of which played more seasons than Thomas.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/yds_from_scrimmage_career.htm

Edited by billsbackto81

Yup knew about this when he was playing but did not know to what extent it was torn.

That is pretty crazy but at that time ACL reconstructions were nowhere close to what they are today...there would have been a real chance if he had it repaired he would either have been out of the league within a few years or been very limited.

Today they have been done so much over the past 30 years they are pretty much perfected and the player is back to normal. Its a long process to come back but its almost like a routine injury nowadays with very little if any in the way of performance penalties after it heals.

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 5:11 PM, SouthNYfan said:

"Thomas told the fan that it was actually a brace that he wore after tearing his ACL in 1986. The back would undergo an arthroscopic procedure that year, but avoided major knee surgery. Thomas said he wore the brace as a way to avoid having major surgery and missing time. "

He also claims it was "85% torn" and that he only had it scoped.

If it was 85% then he certainly finished off the tear sometime that year or early on in the NFL.

That's just a medical fact, it would have finished off.

Playing without an ACL is very possible, and over strengthening the surrounding muscles (namely the hams, gastroc, and imo) can make up for that lack of ligament stability, the issue is it presents a huge risk when your muscles are fatigued to the other structures (PCL, MCL, LCL, popliteal muscle, meniscus primarily).

His way of describing it just sounds like Uncle Rico throwing a pigskin a quarter mile.

And you're saying he can't?

• Haha (+1) 1

On 7/18/2018 at 3:33 PM, Dr.Sack said:

The amazing thing is he kept Barry Sanders on the bench in ‘87.

best players play at that level

sanders was lose 3 lose1 gain 1 punt---repeat for 11 series

bust 88 yarder....cant win that way which is why he didnt with the lions and although retiring early no one beat down his door to have him join them- cant win that way

down 27 in the 4th "hand off to Sanders"  23 yard run - who cares

2 hours ago, CardinalScotts said:

bust 88 yarder....cant win that way which is why he didnt with the lions and although retiring early no one beat down his door to have him join them- cant win that way

Barry was not the problem with the Lions.

He signed a 6 year extension, to which the Lion's front office proceeded to followup by dismantling the team around him, knowing they would continue to sell tickets with Barry there 4 more years.

He asked to be traded, they refused, offered to pay back $5.5 of his $11 mil signing bonus if they released him, they refused, so he retired with 4 years left on his deal.

Detroit refused to let him out of the deal.

He was unable to be signed by another team until after that contract expires, which meant he was 34+ and hadn't touched a football in 4+ years.

I guess his NFL MVP was fake news huh?

You honestly have no clue what you are talking about.

On 7/19/2018 at 4:54 PM, Dablitzkrieg said:

Flame away.....but do we really believe that someone could play an entire career on an "85% torn ACL"?  Just for S&G's (I'm not a doctor obviously), but where does the # even come from?  Wouldn't his knee just blow out from the amount of beatings he took over his career?  Just doesn't hold water for me.  Love the player, but don't buy the story.

Another thing to consider is that Thurman has admitted to having possible CTE issues.  He might be confabulating a bit, not even realizing he is making up stories.  Not trying ot be rude for all of you sensitive people out there.  Just an observation.

Could play entire career without an ACL (fully torn)

If he had an 85% tear (docs will say that) then it was definitely finished off the first or second week he played on it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/20/2018 at 6:37 PM, billsbackto81 said:

I'll make the argument. Not because I'm a Homer but because it's factual. 

Thomas ranks 10th all time in Total yards from Scrimmage. All but Jerry Rice are RBs , so technically he's 9th amongst RBs. 3 of which played more seasons than Thomas.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/yds_from_scrimmage_career.htm

so by your logic he is better than Gayle sayers;)...come on man---

On 7/23/2018 at 12:49 PM, CardinalScotts said:

good point about Sanders--i always felt that way as well. But we do have to factor in that he played for Detroit which has always been a joke of an organization.

17 minutes ago, Tcali said:

so by your logic he is better than Gayle sayers;)...come on man---

No I'm not saying that, the record books are.  I know how good they were dude.

Gale Sayers, Bo Jackson and Billy Sims all are taking a back seat to Thurman because he stayed healthy and unfortunately they didn't. They were all immensely talented HOF caliber players, BUT!, There are no spots in the Hall of Fame for " if I didn't get hurt" players. 

56 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

No I'm not saying that, the record books are.  I know how good they were dude.

Gale Sayers, Bo Jackson and Billy Sims all are taking a back seat to Thurman because he stayed healthy and unfortunately they didn't. They were all immensely talented HOF caliber players, BUT!, There are no spots in the Hall of Fame for " if I didn't get hurt" players. 

quality my boy quality....