Thurman played entire career with partially torn ACL.

"Thomas told the fan that it was actually a brace that he wore after tearing his ACL in 1986. The back would undergo an arthroscopic procedure that year, but avoided major knee surgery. Thomas said he wore the brace as a way to avoid having major surgery and missing time. "

He also claims it was "85% torn" and that he only had it scoped.

If it was 85% then he certainly finished off the tear sometime that year or early on in the NFL.

That's just a medical fact, it would have finished off.

Playing without an ACL is very possible, and over strengthening the surrounding muscles (namely the hams, gastroc, and imo) can make up for that lack of ligament stability, the issue is it presents a huge risk when your muscles are fatigued to the other structures (PCL, MCL, LCL, popliteal muscle, meniscus primarily).

His way of describing it just sounds like Uncle Rico throwing a pigskin a quarter mile.

2 hours ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

Having lived with a partially torn ACL for several years (before completely tearing it away) I would just comment that so long as what remains is structurally holding things in place, it doesn't really affect you. Also, some people can live normal, active lives (like downhill skiing active) with no ACL anymore, just because of how they are built. 

So I don't really know what to make of the 85% torn claim as it relates to what his performance would have otherwise been if not torn at all. It strikes me that it might not have been any different. 

This is true.

I haven’t had an ACL in my right knee since 1987.

I am still an active person. Obviously not on a professional athlete’s scale but, none the less, I have been very active for the past 31 years with no side effects.

5 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

This is true.

I haven’t had an ACL in my right knee since 1987.

I am still an active person. Obviously not on a professional athlete’s scale but, none the less, I have been very active for the past 31 years with no side effects.

The physical therapist who treated my son after his torn ACL/MCL had no ACL’s. Played OLine for UCF back in the day. AMAZING therapist. Still very active with mountain biking and certain other activities. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, T master said:

Look up in the sky, its a bird, its a plane      ?      NO ITS THE THURMONATOR !!!!!    

Faster than a speeding bullet, stronger than a locomotive , Able to leap defenders with a single bound & juke them out of their shorts with a torn ACL !! 

WOW ! Now that just adds to his legacy !! 

So.....that's how he found his helmet.....x-ray eyes seeing through sideline equipment zeroing in on his. Always wondered that. 

38 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

You booed during Kelly’s speech last night, didn’t you?

I missed it (and I also missed the point of your post). 

Jim’s a great guy suffering from a bad disease.  Nobody is booing  him.

stay focused

Edited by Mr. WEO

I ripped something in my knee as a teenager. It causes me some pain occasionally, but otherwise does not limit me in the slightest. I'm very active, and played a lot of football.

You can have some knee damage and still be able to perform very close to 100%. It all depends on where the damage is.

2 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

The point is, I do not believe I have ever seen you post a positive comment on this site.

You choose not to see them. 

You seen only what you want to see.  I can't fix that for you...

I have a partially torn ACL (Not sure how far as I have never gotten the MRI and the diagnosis just came from the doc and PT feeling the looseness of my knee) and I still get around fine, but i can tell it's more loose. I have a brace like you see all these players wear (one of the ones that looks like it should add speed and jumping skills) and I can tell the difference when I wear it vs. when I dont. Biggest issue is just the fear of going the rest of the way. 

It does ache every once in a while after extended use or when a storm is coming in, but that might have more to due with the Torn meniscus 

Flame away.....but do we really believe that someone could play an entire career on an "85% torn ACL"?  Just for S&G's (I'm not a doctor obviously), but where does the # even come from?  Wouldn't his knee just blow out from the amount of beatings he took over his career?  Just doesn't hold water for me.  Love the player, but don't buy the story.

Another thing to consider is that Thurman has admitted to having possible CTE issues.  He might be confabulating a bit, not even realizing he is making up stories.  Not trying ot be rude for all of you sensitive people out there.  Just an observation.

Edited by Dablitzkrieg
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Flame away.....but do we really believe that someone could play an entire career on an "85% torn ACL"?  Just for S&G's (I'm not a doctor obviously), but where does the # even come from?  Wouldn't his knee just blow out from the amount of beatings he took over his career?  Just doesn't hold water for me.  Love the player, but don't buy the story.

Another thing to consider is that Thurman has admitted to having possible CTE issues.  He might be confabulating a bit, not even realizing he is making up stories.  Not trying ot be rude for all of you sensitive people out there.  Just an observation.

...WHY?......I agree that it seems pretty far fetched......and why risk more damage versus surgical repair?...makes no sense especially when he came out of college with a knee injury, falling to the 2nd..........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

On 7/18/2018 at 4:15 PM, mushypeaches said:

Ummm... I'm not sure I would ever characterize him that way. 

He wasn't Earl Campbell or OJ Simpson and straight-ahead was absolutely not the way he got the majority of those tough extra yards.

Not all the way on the other end of the spectrum like a Barry Sanders, but you get the point.

He was like bell from the Steelers.  Patient and waited for play to develop then hit the hole.

Bell is closest thing I've seen to Thurman. 

On 7/18/2018 at 1:58 PM, billsbackto81 said:

You can make the argument. Thurman along with Roger Craig were kinda the first dual threat RBs before it became commonplace in the NFL. Top 10, maybe not. But, Top 10 dual threat RBs of all time? Definitely! 

you cant make the argument. and i love roger and thurman---but the 1st of that kinda RB was Lydell Mitchell.

thurman an absolute Hof famer but nowhere near top 10.