New cap management idea

So I think the Bill's are in a unique situation right now. They have a young team, a new QB, and lots of Money in the upcoming years. I think the Bill's should roll over 20m a year for the next 4 years. The team will still be building with draft picks and system guys. If they did that when Allen is ready for his 5th year option we can hit him with 80m+ in the first year of the deal. Let's say he is amazing and he wants 7 years and 160m. If they dropped 80m year one, the following years would be 16m per... very team friendly. They probably could get a even better deal then market value because they would have the 5th year option and the franchise tag as leverage. If Allen stinks we would still have the $$$ to entice the best free agent qb.

I just think this out of the box thinking is how a team gets good and stays good. Teams stink once the QB gets paid in this league. Look at the Seahawks as example. Just think if they did this when Wilson was a rookie. They would still be the best team now and for the next few years. 

Thoughts?

NFL rules set the minimum spend per individual team at 89% of the cap for the cumulative 2017-2020 season.  On average for all teams combined, teams have to spend 85% of the cap in a given season.  Notwithstanding what the Bills spent last year, let's just say the cumulative salary cap for 4 years is $720 million, they have to spend $641 million during this time period.  They can roll over cap space from year to year, but after the 2020 season is over, it resets for the next 4 years.  There's some fairly complex points about how the rollover works, but those are the basics.  By way of reference, the Bills rolled over $2.8 million from last season and the NFL average was $9.2 million.  The Browns this season rolled over $50.1 million from last year, which is ridiculous.  Then again, they had a record of 1-31 over the last two seasons.  Does anyone honestly believe that having an extra $50.1 million this year is taking them to the Superbowl.  I don't.

Edited by Luxy312
  • Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Franchiseneedsme said:

So I think the Bill's are in a unique situation right now. They have a young team, a new QB, and lots of Money in the upcoming years. I think the Bill's should roll over 20m a year for the next 4 years. The team will still be building with draft picks and system guys. If they did that when Allen is ready for his 5th year option we can hit him with 80m+ in the first year of the deal. Let's say he is amazing and he wants 7 years and 160m. If they dropped 80m year one, the following years would be 16m per... very team friendly. They probably could get a even better deal then market value because they would have the 5th year option and the franchise tag as leverage. If Allen stinks we would still have the $$$ to entice the best free agent qb.

I just think this out of the box thinking is how a team gets good and stays good. Teams stink once the QB gets paid in this league. Look at the Seahawks as example. Just think if they did this when Wilson was a rookie. They would still be the best team now and for the next few years. 

Thoughts?

I was thinking of quoting DC Tom but haven't ask him permission

On a related cap question.

What are the rules around money due players who are suspended without pay, does that money go back onto the cap?

Say if Shady does get suspended for 4 games, do 4 games of salary become available immediately?

What if he were to get suspended in January 2019, if he were due a bonus in March of2019, can they get that money back on the cap?

Any idea??