Move on to 2019

Punt75

This year may be fun but look ahead to 2019. 

Our young quarterbacks will be slotted.  Our defense will be established.  AND - most importantly - our DEAD CAP of $46 mil will be resolved.

In 2019 we are projected to have $65 mil in cap space.  Go get the OL in FA we need and a couple of LB's. 

I expect a deep run into the play-offs!   WONDERFUL!

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Punt75 said:

This year may be fun but look ahead to 2019. 

Our young quarterbacks will be slotted.  Our defense will be established.  AND - most importantly - our DEAD CAP of $46 mil will be resolved.

In 2019 we are projected to have $65 mil in cap space.  Go get the OL in FA we need and a couple of LB's. 

I expect a deep run into the play-offs!   WONDERFUL!

And all draft picks as well. But as the others said, one year at a time.

If Josh Allen wins the starting job (or enters around week 5) and has a promising rookie season then I'll be extremely happy no matter what our record is.  Next year's draft class is deep and we should have the money to get a premier O-lineman and WR.

• Like (+1) 1

We lost/traded more high end talent last year, compared to this year.   We didn't splash in free agency, but we did clean the Salary Cap slate for next year. Good teams hit on their draft picks and extend them after their rookie contracts.  Our talent pool is thin due to poor drafts for a decade.  I expect to sign a few camp cuts from other teams, compete for 6 to 9 wins, and continue to build for the post-Brady AFC East.

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

If Josh Allen wins the starting job (or enters around week 5) and has a promising rookie season then I'll be extremely happy no matter what our record is.  Next year's draft class is deep and we should have the money to get a premier O-lineman and WR.

I do not see any premium WR in free agency in 2019

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

A couple of LBs?  Maybe one.  Maybe none.  Build the OL and get weapons with that room.  

Pass rushing DE.

I’m in ‘Show me/Wait & see’ mode with Trent Murphy, Lawson & LoAl, as well as Kyle Williams. AFAIC, we’ve seen the best they’ll ever be. ‘Loutililly’  is a fat, lazy slob. I expect our only real pass rush threat will come from blitzes. 

57 minutes ago, offyourocker said:

I do not see any premium WR in free agency in 2019

If Stephon Diggs makes it out of Minny, he would be near the top in terms of talent and potential. In his case it will be entirely about what he does this year (of course) as opposed to his resume of accomplishments. Additionally, every year there is a WR who is "cut" or traded that makes you scratch your head, see Dez Bryant for a team that really needs a good boundary WR, and others. 

Equally head-scratching is a case like Moncrief who absolutely got PAID relative to his accomplishments thus far...no doubt Jax is taking the gamble on his ability to contribute. 

All of that said, I prefer for years the Seahawks and NE model, where WRs are just used as interchangeable parts and not the focal point of their Cap or FA period. The year NE did that? Cooks and while the team was great, Cooks wasn't really worth the price of the trade and now he's in LA. 

Beane did the opposite by trading Watkins and getting value for him while making the playoffs with a rag-tag bunch of WRs and Benjamin who struggled with injury. Point being, I want good WRs as anyone else does, but they don't change the dynamic of a team or an Offense by themselves like a QB does. So, I'd prefer they spend top dollar protecting the QB investment - depending on how the O-line does this year - and as someone said a LB opposite Milano, CB because Vontae is a one year rental most likely, a TE because they are hard to develop - depending on how Clay plays - and younger depth at WR, not so much an "elite" talent. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Pass rushing DE.

I’m in ‘Show me/Wait & see’ mode with Trent Murphy, Lawson & LoAl, as well as Kyle Williams. AFAIC, we’ve seen the best they’ll ever be. ‘Loutililly’  is a fat, lazy slob. I expect our only real pass rush threat will come from blitzes. 

well it's gonna suck for you cause frazier isn't in any way blitz crazy.

I don’t expect this year to be great record wise, but I am going to enjoy the first stress free season in over a decade.  The drought wore me down and now we can focus on the long term build without the thought of “I hope the drought doesn’t reach 20 years.”

9 minutes ago, stuvian said:

our OL could revert us back to decade of fail territory

i think a lot of people have some sort of subconscious bias when it comes to judging our oline.  for one thing, they aren't going to have to pass pro for 6 seconds on every passing down. that alone will be a big relief and other than richie,    who was our go to...run behind...pulling guard last year? that's right...no one.

we got better by subtraction.  groy and miller are very serviceable  guards. i'm hoping miller goes to the left side where i think he can be a rueben brown and groy would be a big help to mills on the right. teller may really come on and be a mauler as well. i'm not worried.

Edited by billsredneck1
  • Like (+1) 1