EJ Manuel says benching with Bills sent him into depression

2 minutes ago, MURPHD6 said:

Me too. So many similarities, and no QB whisperer on the staff.

Nix was on record stating that he knew nothing about QB mechanics, as well.

I just don’t get how you can draft a qb with no one with a reputation of developing qbs on staff.  Andrew Luck, the best prospect since Peyton, had Bruce Arians.  

This is is why I think Mahomes will be good.  And this is what worries me about Allen.

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I just don’t get how you can draft a qb with no one with a reputation of developing qbs on staff.  Andrew Luck, the best prospect since Peyton, had Bruce Arians.  

This is is why I think Mahomes will be good.  And this is what worries me about Allen.

Similar things were said about  E.J that were said about Mahomes.(He was a popular choice amongst alot of the QB folk on this board). He did not go to the right place, it happens, and the fact that he is still in the league shows that he was not a total bust. If he was he would be out by now.

Edited by MURPHD6
  • Like (+1) 1

I listened to that podcast yesterday and didn't bother to post in here because, well, it's old news and I'm past it.  But what I gathered from the interview is that EJ Manuel just didn't/doesn't have the mental fortitude to deal with what being a starting NFL QB means.  I really hope Josh Allen is the exact opposite, mentally -- you can't be afraid to play, you just play and learn.

2 minutes ago, MURPHD6 said:

Similar things were said about  E.J that were said about Mahomes.(He was a popular choice amongst alot of the QB folk on this board). He did not go to the right place, it happens, and the fact that he is still in the league shows that he was not a total bust. If he was he would be out by now.

If Mahomes doesn’t succeed, he has no excuses.  He might be in the best situation in the entire nfl.

and that’s why Allen shouldn’t play.  This might be one of the worst offensive groups in the entire nfl.  His best trait is a cannon and we have the slowest wrs in the nfl.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, eball said:

I listened to that podcast yesterday and didn't bother to post in here because, well, it's old news and I'm past it.  But what I gathered from the interview is that EJ Manuel just didn't/doesn't have the mental fortitude to deal with what being a starting NFL QB means.  I really hope Josh Allen is the exact opposite, mentally -- you can't be afraid to play, you just play and learn.

And definitely agree with this.  EJ play like a robot and seemed afraid to make mistakes.  His best throws where we he just bombed the ball.

and I agree with letting young qbs make mistakes. But we also live in a hot pocket society where the media and fans love to call for young qbs to get benched.  Most fans don’t have the patience to sit through the development of a qb.

Just now, Sky Diver said:

Watching EJ play sent me into a depression.

Good original joke.  

But certainly EJ’s NFl career hasn’t lived up to the standards of Sims, Parker, Wilson, Coker, McElroy, & Croyle.  But I’m sure their challenging degrees from Bama is much important to them than millions of dollars. :) 

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Ej is a nice man.  I like him.  But -

being a QB in the NFL requires some true mental toughness.   Mental acuity and mental toughness.   You've got to have the heart and the guts to make tough decisions in virtually no time and then to execute.   Very few guys have it, and there's no shame if you don't.  

So I'm sorry to say, but I think it's true, that admitting he became depressed when he got benched is just his admission that he didn't have the heart and the toughness it takes to play the position.   Tyrod Taylor could have gotten depressed when he got benched.   He reacted differently.   He said all the right things (which EJ did, too) and then we went back to work.   He didn't let the benching change his attitude.  

As each year goes by, I'm more and more impressed at how tough players are in the NFL.   They take incredible physical and emotional beatings and come back for more as if nothing happened.   Taylor has that.  Manuel doesn't.  Edwards didn't.   Fitz does.   Being tough isn't all it takes, but if you aren't incredibly tough, you aren't surviving in the NFL.  

It's why it's such a brotherhood.   Those are all real mean in the locker room.  

To be fair, Tyrod is still processing his benching...

38 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

If Mahomes doesn’t succeed, he has no excuses.  He might be in the best situation in the entire nfl.

and that’s why Allen shouldn’t play.  This might be one of the worst offensive groups in the entire nfl.  His best trait is a cannon and we have the slowest wrs in the nfl.

You can also look at it as the opposite...

Josh puts footballs through windows no other QB can...

he can put it in tight spaces... with slower receivers you need a QB who could put it in a tight window 

I wonder how many athletes deal with this.

I doubt EJ is the first. Young guys/kids spend their whole lives working to this. It is by the nature of the NFL that only 32 people minus injuries can have that dream of being an NFL starter. It is the nature of the game; I think it is something that makes football so appealing because everyone is good.

41 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Good original joke.  

But certainly EJ’s NFl career hasn’t lived up to the standards of Sims, Parker, Wilson, Coker, McElroy, & Croyle.  But I’m sure their challenging degrees from Bama is much important to them than millions of dollars. :) 

McElroy scored a 48 out of 50 on the Wonderlic test and was a Rhodes Scholar Finalist. He earned his Master’s Degree in Human Environmental Sciences with a Concentration in Sports Management at Alabama. He’s a successful businessman and commentator.

Cocker earned his Master’s Degree in Marketing at Alabama and is well employed in Mobile.

Roll Tide!

Edited by Sky Diver

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Didn’t we have a bet about EJ?  It’s funny that this horrible qb beat out former board favorites like Connor Cook and Christian Hackenberg.  

1) his OC and qb coach was Nate Hackett, who never coached at the pro level and biggest claim to fame was being the OC for Cuse in the Pinstripe Bowl

2) in his first start, he threw 2 tds and left the field with the lead against NE.  How many Bills qbs have done that?

3) he got benched for a spineless coward, who “won” games without scoring tds.

4) when he was competing for his career inBuffalo, he had like a 155 q.b rating in the preseason.

5). When he was the worst qb ever and was going to be out of the nfl, he beat out Connor Cook for a backup job.

6) he had a much better college career than Josh Allen.

yup, EJ was probsbly overdrafted.  He does play mechanically.  But his development here was a complete joke and if the Bills do the same with Allen, he will suffer the same fate.  But the guy isn’t close to as bad as some of you want to make him out to be and he keeps winning jobs and collecting nfl checks. 

Benching a 2nd year qb at 2-2 is almost as bad as benching your starting qb during a playoff race and a rookie throwing 5 ints in a half. Almost.

The only franchise worse at developing qbs than the Bills are the Browns.  We are a joke in that regards.

We did and I owe you some beer. PM me your address and I’ll send you something good

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

In all honesty he wasn’t the worse.   

He just wasnt good enough. 

Do you remember his last game as a Bill (at Jets)? That display was much more than not good enough.At least he never stole food from a Winn Dixie like that other FSU QB did.It's a wash..I think?

• Like (+1) 1