EJ Manuel says benching with Bills sent him into depression

For me, the London Jags game told the whole EJ story. Mechanically sound but nervous instead of gritty. Once he single-handedly threw the game away and had nothing on the line, he played calm and threw very well. ALMOST won the game...

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...NOT the point of the thread so this asinine post doesn't fit in the discussion........a shocker......SMH............

Image result for shocked gif

Oh geeez, another mod want a be
Edited by THE SLAMMER

41 minutes ago, Lfod said:

Making it into the NFL is an accomplishment on it's own. Not everyone makes it that far. At least he got his foot into the door. 

The bright side is he still in the NFL unlike Kaepernick and Johnny football who probably are both better than him. 

Better at causing issues I would agree.  Backup QBs are not to cause issue except Fitz who is signed despite being bad luck charm for starting QB.

Even starting kickers get kicked off teams when they are too much trouble.

EJ is a nice guy and a bad football player. There is nothing wrong with that. It’s not his fault that he went in the 1st round. He was a product of a terrible QB draft. A lot of QBs don’t make it. He was just one of those guys. As someone that struggles with depression though I don’t wish that on anyone. It isn’t easy.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Better at causing issues I would agree.  Backup QBs are not to cause issue except Fitz who is signed despite being bad luck charm for starting QB.

Even starting kickers get kicked off teams when they are too much trouble.

I was just being goofy about the end of my post. I wouldn't let getting benched wipe away all it took to get to that moment.

EJ was a bad college QB surrounded by elite talent.  He didn't improve much during his college career, so it was pure folly to believe he would overcome all of the things he was terrible at even if he was put it an ideal NFL situation.

He probably should have been a UFA.  I still can't believe the BILLS wasted pi k in the top half of the first round on the guy. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

EJ always struck me as a good person/ hard worker, I’m sorry to hear he felt that way.  Having said that I think he had more than enough chances here over the years even if the coaching left something to be desired.

His best bet would to play in the CFL if he’s really looking to start again someday

He may never have turned into an elite QB, or even upper echelon...but I think there is a fair argument to be made that he really wasn't given a great chance in Buffalo.  He got 16 starts spread out over 4 years...he started out promising enough, got hurt in week 5 of his rookie season, with a .500 record, and never really had any coach that was committed to letting him grow into the job, after that.  And, lets not lose sight of the fact that it wasn't intended for him to start right out of the chute.  Again, not necessarily blaming Marrone, or Rex, just pointing out that he had a very stunted developmental path with the Bills. I think he needed experience, and repetition.  I think he was a good dude too.  

• Like (+1) 4

15 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Reality slapping you in the face can be depressing, I guess....

EJ was a coward on the field. Tyrod wasn't.

Tyrod may not have seemed cowardly but he simply refused to throw the ball when his reciever wasn’t wide open. 

Dont know if cowardly is the right word but he certainly wasnt courageous. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 2

I like the guy but he made the same mistakes over and over. Deep outs were always over thrown. Couldn't make adjustment after reading the defense.

Good guy, I wish him well

Edited by THE SLAMMER

I still think it was a five minute stretch in London that doomed him with Bills fans.

He wasn’t as horrible as the legend goes but those five minutes may have been the worst for a QB in Bills history.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Binghamton Beast said:

I still think it was a five minute stretch in London that doomed him with Bills fans.

He wasn’t as horrible as the legend goes but those five minutes may have been the worst for a QB in Bills history.

Every time he took the field I was looking for an improved game. If anything he was getting worse.

33 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

EJ was a bad college QB surrounded by elite talent.  He didn't improve much during his college career, so it was pure folly to believe he would overcome all of the things he was terrible at even if he was put it an ideal NFL situation.

He probably should have been a UFA.  I still can't believe the BILLS wasted pi k in the top half of the first round on the guy. 

In all fairness, all the qbs in that draft sucked, and they traded back before taking him and used that pick on Kiko, so it was pretty much a wash. Waiting too long for Cousins and Wilson was Buddy's big mistake. E.J could still end up being the best q.b from that draft, which says more about the draft than the talent evaluators.

They had to take a Q.B in that draft, and E.J was rumored to go to Philly in the 1st. The problem is that they were too worried about wasting picks and waited too long to take a QB. Guys get pushed up the board when a draft is weak, and that one was historically weak at QB.

Edited by MURPHD6

32 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

EJ is a nice guy and a bad football player. There is nothing wrong with that. It’s not his fault that he went in the 1st round. He was a product of a terrible QB draft. A lot of QBs don’t make it. He was just one of those guys. As someone that struggles with depression though I don’t wish that on anyone. It isn’t easy.

Didn’t we have a bet about EJ?  It’s funny that this horrible qb beat out former board favorites like Connor Cook and Christian Hackenberg.  

1) his OC and qb coach was Nate Hackett, who never coached at the pro level and biggest claim to fame was being the OC for Cuse in the Pinstripe Bowl

2) in his first start, he threw 2 tds and left the field with the lead against NE.  How many Bills qbs have done that?

3) he got benched for a spineless coward, who “won” games without scoring tds.

4) when he was competing for his career inBuffalo, he had like a 155 q.b rating in the preseason.

5). When he was the worst qb ever and was going to be out of the nfl, he beat out Connor Cook for a backup job.

6) he had a much better college career than Josh Allen.

yup, EJ was probsbly overdrafted.  He does play mechanically.  But his development here was a complete joke and if the Bills do the same with Allen, he will suffer the same fate.  But the guy isn’t close to as bad as some of you want to make him out to be and he keeps winning jobs and collecting nfl checks. 

25 minutes ago, Buftex said:

He may never have turned into an elite QB, or even upper echelon...but I think there is a fair argument to be made that he really wasn't given a great chance in Buffalo.  He got 16 starts spread out over 4 years...he started out promising enough, got hurt in week 5 of his rookie season, with a .500 record, and never really had any coach that was committed to letting him grow into the job, after that.  And, lets not lose sight of the fact that it wasn't intended for him to start right out of the chute.  Again, not necessarily blaming Marrone, or Rex, just pointing out that he had a very stunted developmental path with the Bills. I think he needed experience, and repetition.  I think he was a good dude too.  

Benching a 2nd year qb at 2-2 is almost as bad as benching your starting qb during a playoff race and a rookie throwing 5 ints in a half. Almost.

The only franchise worse at developing qbs than the Bills are the Browns.  We are a joke in that regards.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Didn’t we have a bet about EJ?  It’s funny that this horrible qb beat out former board favorites like Connor Cook and Christian Hackenberg.  

1) his OC and qb coach was Nate Hackett, who never coached at the pro level and biggest claim to fame was being the OC for Cuse in the Pinstripe Bowl

2) in his first start, he threw 2 tds and left the field with the lead against NE.  How many Bills qbs have done that?

3) he got benched for a spineless coward, who “won” games without scoring tds.

4) when he was competing for his career inBuffalo, he had like a 155 q.b rating in the preseason.

5). When he was the worst qb ever and was going to be out of the nfl, he beat out Connor Cook for a backup job.

6) he had a much better college career than Josh Allen.

yup, EJ was probsbly overdrafted.  He does play mechanically.  But his development here was a complete joke and if the Bills do the same with Allen, he will suffer the same fate.  But the guy isn’t close to as bad as some of you want to make him out to be and he keeps winning jobs and collecting nfl checks. 

Agreed. Whenever an impatient nincompoop says they want to see Allen start right away, I shudder for this very reason. You don't reach for a project and start him immediately just to appease the fan base. It never works.

Getting injured and benched can ruin a young qb fast, from a sports psychology standpoint.

Edited by MURPHD6
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MURPHD6 said:

Agreed. Whenever an impatient nincompoop says they want to see Allen start right away I shudder for this very reason. You don't reach for a project and start him right away. It never works.

Yup.  Allen isn’t ready for this yet.  And if struggles, inpatient fans will want him benched the second he struggles.  

Im not a big Allen fan but they guy deserves at least 2 years starting before you bench him.  It’s embarrassing how quickly fans turn on young qbs.

9 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yup.  Allen isn’t ready for this yet.  And if struggles, inpatient fans will want him benched the second he struggles.  

Im not a big Allen fan but they guy deserves at least 2 years starting before you bench him.  It’s embarrassing how quickly fans turn on young qbs.

For what they gave up to get him, yeah. Sit him a year, at least. E.J was progressing fine until he got cocky and didn't run out of bounds when an NFL safety was bearing down on him. After that, it was all over. If they sat him a year, before playing him, that might not have happened.

Its pretty critical for a developong QB to progress steadily, and to recieve increased reps, cut his reps and hes done.

Edited by MURPHD6