Brandin Cooks Signs New Deal With Rams

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

I find it interesting that a team with a young QB and an offensive genius as HC thinks it's important to go after top notch WR talent whereas we run with KB, Kerley,  and maybe Zay and then who knows after that ...

See there is this thing called a salary cap sir........:P

28 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Their is no such thing as the salary cap, you can spend and push that money back and back and back and back. Their are just cheap owners. 

Are you insinuating that El Pegula is a cheap owner?

47 minutes ago, Fred Marchibroda said:

I get what you are saying but I think if you pay real close attention the MCBeany team is building this thing long term.  In other words, you don't go sign a big name very good but not great free agent when your team still needs a proven QB and a lot more talent to compete.  They are freeing up cap space while building/adding talent so when we are much closer to competing for a SB, then they can make those key free agent signings.  

Perhaps.  I get what you're saying.  But we made the playoffs last year.  We're ready to compete now.  True QB is a little sketch at the moment but we can work around that.  We did last year.  Steelers won the SB doing that in 2005.

I disagree with the long term plan thing.  The Rams were in the same boat as us last year.  fired a dumpster coach with a bad record.  Now we're both in our second year.  We both lost in round 1 of playoffs.  They don't have to wait until they get all the pieces put together first. We've been waiting to put the pieces together for 17 years.

And, in a couple of years if not sooner we'll start losing these guys to FA and have to use FA bucks to pay their replacements.

Hopefully it all works out, but I wish we had shown a little urgency in WR department.  Hopefully someone steps up.

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

Perhaps.  I get what you're saying.  But we made the playoffs last year.  We're ready to compete now.  True QB is a little sketch at the moment but we can work around that.  We did last year.  Steelers won the SB doing that in 2005.

I disagree with the long term plan thing.  The Rams were in the same boat as us last year.  fired a dumpster coach with a bad record.  Now we're both in our second year.  We both lost in round 1 of playoffs.  They don't have to wait until they get all the pieces put together first. We've been waiting to put the pieces together for 17 years.

And, in a couple of years if not sooner we'll start losing these guys to FA and have to use FA bucks to pay their replacements.

Hopefully it all works out, but I wish we had shown a little urgency in WR department.  Hopefully someone steps up.

This is a little diff of a situation. Im not sure were ready yet. Defensively we can be really good, but weve still got the pats to deal with and offensively were a huge question mark right now. 

Yeah we made the playoffs, so what. We were fortunate to get in and theres a lot of different pieces now 

Edited by BillsSbSoon

4 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Can he ever be as good of a decoy as Sammy though? Can anyone?

Yeah clearly Sammy sucks.  The Rams tried to sign him, then KC did for $16 million, & the Rams immediately traded a 1st for Cooks.  Clearly, Sammy didn’t matter in their eyes.  I’m much more happy with our dangerous wrs.

• Haha (+1) 1

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
31 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah clearly Sammy sucks.  The Rams tried to sign him, then KC did for $16 million, & the Rams immediately traded a 1st for Cooks.  Clearly, Sammy didn’t matter in their eyes.  I’m much more happy with our dangerous wrs.

Amazing people are still upset about trading away entitled Sammy Watkins even though we ended the drought without him in year one of the new regime.  McDermott and Beane  know what they are doing.  They unload all the me guys and bad contracts and yet still make they playoff in year freaking one, but still that is not good enough for you. They have an obvious plan and will address WR in free agency and the draft next off-season.  They are by far the best GM/Head Coach duo I have seen  at One Bills Drive in my adult life.  If you want to be miserable with your agenda and your sarcasm go ahead.  Stay stuck in the past and talk about how Pegula is cheap just like Ralph etc.  That act is a little old and if you can't see what the new regime is trying to do, then you don't know much about how a football team should be built. 

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

Yup, making the playoffs without Sammy is a huge blow to your argument, CB.  Never mind that at $16M/year, it would preclude the Bills from getting talent elsewhere. 

And if you push me, I just might be willing to bet that Benjamin has a better season than Sammy.  Health-willing (on both players' parts).

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yup, making the playoffs without Sammy is a huge blow to your argument, CB.  Never mind that at $16M/year, it would preclude the Bills from getting talent elsewhere. 

And if you push me, I just might be willing to bet that Benjamin has a better season than Sammy.  Health-willing (on both players' parts).

PM and I will gladly take that bet.

and Sammy made the playoffs and was on the highest scoring team in the nfl.  The Bills defied all logic and had a painful offense to make the playoffs.  We deserve it but let’s not pretend like Sammy won’t have been a huge upgrade to our non threatening receiving core. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

and Sammy made the playoffs and was on the highest scoring team in the nfl.  The Bills defied all logic and had a painful offense to make the playoffs.  We deserve it but let’s not pretend like Sammy won’t have been a huge upgrade to our non threatening receiving core. 

c83be00d2a8141d2b3d1d3dce57a5ed7--nation

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Hit me up later on the bet.  Need to see how things shake out first.

And sure Sammy would have upgraded the talent on the team.  Would he have made the team better?  I don't know.  All I do know is what happened without him.  We'll see where the receiving corps shakes out this year and if they need to spend serious money in FA next year.

Cooks is a better deep threat decoy than Watkins, I originally thought Watkins could be a more complete player than he is. But he seems to be a more of a DeSean Jackson type big-play threat than a complete all-around threat like Antonio Brown (Which was the type of player he was drafted be.) That's not to say a DeSean Jackson type isn't valuable in the NFL but Sammy was expected to be much more than that, Sammy is still young so he might develop more into that kind of player but 4 years in he just hasn't. 

Anyway I think that The Rams had too much invested in that "Deep Threat" receiver position to let Cooks walk after the season (EJ Gaines, pick 56, pick 23 and a 6th round pick for one year of Sammy, a pair of 6th round picks and Cooks.) That's a lot of draft capital and a solid defensive player invested for it to just result in 2 seasons of WR play.

Cooks is young too so locking in a 25-year-old receiver to a long-term deal makes sense (esp since they need that pop the cap of the defense type player to make Gurley and Goff's abilities work better. 

5 hours ago, Bills Pimpin' said:

Rams send uber talented but douchy Watkins on his way and signs less talented Brandin Cooks to 5 years 80 million. 

"Brandin Cooks has shown himself to be a class act on and off the field since the first day he joined our team," Rams coach Sean McVay said in a statement. "He's a proven professional in this league and signing him to a long-term contract was always our goal. We're excited to keep Brandin in a Rams uniform through 2023."

If that isn't a shot at Watkins I don't know what is. See that all you Watkins fanboys? Talent isn't everything and not being a dick matters too. But let me guess, McD and McVay are wrong and you all are right. BWAAA HAAHAA 

Cooks has a pretty dicey off field reputation. He was dealt by the saints due to attitude issues 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s a great player. Surprised pats didn’t pay him but they were cap strapped.

I suspect he might not have been their type of guy... the saints WRs definitely threw shade at the guy via twitter  before and after he left 

12 hours ago, BillsSbSoon said:

This is a little diff of a situation. Im not sure were ready yet. Defensively we can be really good, but weve still got the pats to deal with and offensively were a huge question mark right now. 

Yeah we made the playoffs, so what. We were fortunate to get in and theres a lot of different pieces now 

You don’t fold your tent because you have a tough division and if you wait till you’re ready...you never will be.