NFL.com AFC East Training Camp Preview: Key Players to Watch

AFC East Training Camp Preview: Key Players to Watch

Buffalo Bills

Training camp report date: rookies and veterans (July 25).

Most important position battle: The entire offense? Where to begin with Buffalo? The Bills celebrated their first postseason berth in nearly two decades this offseason by ... losing nearly every valuable offensive piece, willingly or not. Buffalo traded Cordy Glenn to Cincinnati for draft ammo, and two of the Bills' longest-tenured leaders on the offensive line, Eric Wood and Richie Incognito, retired -- or, in Incognito's case, retired. Tyrod Taylorwas shipped to Cleveland for a pick. Behind Kelvin Benjamin, the wide receiver room is a smorgasbord of unproven young'uns (Zay Jones, Brandon Reilly) and veteran journeymen (Jeremy Kerley, Andre Holmes). LeSean McCoy is the one true mainstay, and now he's not even assured to start the regular season on the active roster, as the league is reviewing information pertaining to an alleged domestic violence situation. Buffalo is potentially entering the 2018 season with the league's worst position group at three offensive positions (QB, WR, OL), and nearly every slot in the starting XI is up for grabs. Gulp.

Newcomer to watch: LB Tremaine Edmunds. Aside from Josh Allen (more on him in a sec), Edmunds is the most exciting fresh face in Buffalo's locker room. After moving up to snag Allen seventh overall in the draft, Buffalo used its bounty of picks to also trade up for Edmunds at No. 16 overall, a sign the front office was smitten with his talent during the draft process. Those good feelings have bled into the preseason. Early indications are that Edmunds will start at middle linebacker come Week 1, flanked by Lorenzo Alexander and Matt Milano. Edmunds will be replacing Preston Brown, who, after four fruitful seasons with Buffalo, joined Glenn with the Bengals. In replacing Brown, who never missed a game, Edmunds will have to establish himself quickly as a young leader and volume tackler in the middle of Sean McDermott's defense, akin to what the second-year coach had in Carolina with Luke Kuechly. According to one fellow defender, Edmunds is already there.

Looming camp question: Who is the starting quarterback in Week 1 -- and does it matter?Presenting: AJ McCarron, Nathan Peterman and Josh Allen, in the most lukewarm quarterback competition in recent NFL history! Angling to replace the departed Taylor, the members of the trio have six combined career starts (including the postseason), nine touchdowns and eight interceptions between them -- and no one has the upper hand heading into camp. With the most experience and a shiny new contract under his belt, McCarron was thought to be the favorite to win the job. But reports from OTAs and minicamp pegged Peterman -- he of five first-start-first-half interceptions -- to be the most serious contender to begin the season under center. Buffalo appears to be slow-playing Allen's development, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that the Bills give their first-round pick a shot to start early on, or, at the very least, a preseason game. But in what is likely a rebuilding year for the Bills, what does it mean for a quarterback to be named the Week 1 starter? Buffalo's long-term QB situation will likely remain unresolved even heading into September. Plus, the Bills aren't playing to win two months from now; given the structural state of their offense, they're playing to win two years from now. This battle could last all season, and then some.

Just listened to the Bills Beat with Joe.B and Matthew Fairburn podcast for July 6 and they commented on the fact that the national media is predicting this Bills team to be one of worst in the league, competing for the top pick in the 2019 draft. They go on to predict that the Bills won't be anywhere near the bottom, but that we probably won't be 9-7 again this year. They predicted that we could still have a top 10 pick in next year's draft, but will likely be somewhat close to what we were last year due to our defense and coaching staff.

IMO, we will be somewhere in the 6-10, 9-7 range with many games being decided by one score. Defense will be top 10 in league, offense will be top 25 in league, and ST will be top 10 in league. Can't get any worst at QB/WR than we were last year so I am optimistic that this offense will work it out!

• Like (+1) 1

I hope everyone remembers that last offseason the Bills were predicted by most to win no more than 3-4 games and be in the running for the #1 overall pick.  It appears that this season similar predictions are mostly based upon perception of the talent on the offensive side of the ball.  It's true, if no QB appears competent, no replacement on the OL plays well, and no WR besides Benjamin steps up the offense will be poor, but I'm curious as to why it seems to be the assumption that all of those will happen?

Edited by eball
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, MiltonWaddams said:

At least he cared enough to share. What's your excuse? ?

I keep the best threads to myself, locked in a safe

You got to pay me $ 2.95 for a look

Edited by THE SLAMMER
  • Like (+1) 1

What a load of garbage. The Bills will be fine. Might not make the playoffs again this year, but there is no way they will be as bad as the national media is predicting.

Yeah, we rebuilt the offense. Our offense must have been so amazing last year, huh? No. It was one of the worst in the league.

Edited by MJS

Edmunds will be replacing Preston Brown, who, after four fruitful seasons with Buffalo, joined Glenn with the Bengals. In replacing Brown, who never missed a game, Edmunds will have to establish himself quickly as a young leader and volume tackler in the middle of Sean McDermott's defense, akin to what the second-year coach had in Carolina with Luke Kuechly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fruitful? Did I miss something?

That fruit was either rotten or never ripened. The best word to describe Brown is "serviceable". Always in the line up. Never really

made you want to throw a brick at the TV but never made you say, "WOW! What a play!"

Can't wait to see Edmunds patrolling the middle and wrecking offenses. I'm sure we'll get plenty, WOW! What a play! from that guy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The funny part about this, how forgotten Edmunds seems to be at times. So much is wrapped up in Allen and the offense as a whole, but Edmunds is a massive addition as well. Yes, this article touches on Edmunds, and I enjoyed seeing it, just feel on the whole we need to give more attention to Edmunds.

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Edmunds will be replacing Preston Brown, who, after four fruitful seasons with Buffalo, joined Glenn with the Bengals. In replacing Brown, who never missed a game, Edmunds will have to establish himself quickly as a young leader and volume tackler in the middle of Sean McDermott's defense, akin to what the second-year coach had in Carolina with Luke Kuechly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fruitful? Did I miss something?

That fruit was either rotten or never ripened. The best word to describe Brown is "serviceable". Always in the line up. Never really

made you want to throw a brick at the TV but never made you say, "WOW! What a play!"

Can't wait to see Edmunds patrolling the middle and wrecking offenses. I'm sure we'll get plenty, WOW! What a play! from that guy.

It's a common case of not truly knowing the team or its players but looking at the numbers and projecting a false sense of enlightenment about the team/player.

Preston is a good player, durable and serviceable. Like you said, never made you jump out of your seat one way or the other.

Which, if Brown was a say, a guard that would be perfectly fine, but your Mike absolutely needs to be a game changer. Brown was far from that.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

AFC East Training Camp Preview: Key Players to Watch

Buffalo Bills

Training camp report date: rookies and veterans (July 25).

Most important position battle: The entire offense? Where to begin with Buffalo? The Bills celebrated their first postseason berth in nearly two decades this offseason by ... losing nearly every valuable offensive piece, willingly or not. Buffalo traded Cordy Glenn to Cincinnati for draft ammo, and two of the Bills' longest-tenured leaders on the offensive line, Eric Wood and Richie Incognito, retired -- or, in Incognito's case, retired. Tyrod Taylorwas shipped to Cleveland for a pick. Behind Kelvin Benjamin, the wide receiver room is a smorgasbord of unproven young'uns (Zay Jones, Brandon Reilly) and veteran journeymen (Jeremy Kerley, Andre Holmes). LeSean McCoy is the one true mainstay, and now he's not even assured to start the regular season on the active roster, as the league is reviewing information pertaining to an alleged domestic violence situation. Buffalo is potentially entering the 2018 season with the league's worst position group at three offensive positions (QB, WR, OL), and nearly every slot in the starting XI is up for grabs. Gulp.

Newcomer to watch: LB Tremaine Edmunds. Aside from Josh Allen (more on him in a sec), Edmunds is the most exciting fresh face in Buffalo's locker room. After moving up to snag Allen seventh overall in the draft, Buffalo used its bounty of picks to also trade up for Edmunds at No. 16 overall, a sign the front office was smitten with his talent during the draft process. Those good feelings have bled into the preseason. Early indications are that Edmunds will start at middle linebacker come Week 1, flanked by Lorenzo Alexander and Matt Milano. Edmunds will be replacing Preston Brown, who, after four fruitful seasons with Buffalo, joined Glenn with the Bengals. In replacing Brown, who never missed a game, Edmunds will have to establish himself quickly as a young leader and volume tackler in the middle of Sean McDermott's defense, akin to what the second-year coach had in Carolina with Luke Kuechly. According to one fellow defender, Edmunds is already there.

Looming camp question: Who is the starting quarterback in Week 1 -- and does it matter?Presenting: AJ McCarron, Nathan Peterman and Josh Allen, in the most lukewarm quarterback competition in recent NFL history! Angling to replace the departed Taylor, the members of the trio have six combined career starts (including the postseason), nine touchdowns and eight interceptions between them -- and no one has the upper hand heading into camp. With the most experience and a shiny new contract under his belt, McCarron was thought to be the favorite to win the job. But reports from OTAs and minicamp pegged Peterman -- he of five first-start-first-half interceptions -- to be the most serious contender to begin the season under center. Buffalo appears to be slow-playing Allen's development, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that the Bills give their first-round pick a shot to start early on, or, at the very least, a preseason game. But in what is likely a rebuilding year for the Bills, what does it mean for a quarterback to be named the Week 1 starter? Buffalo's long-term QB situation will likely remain unresolved even heading into September. Plus, the Bills aren't playing to win two months from now; given the structural state of their offense, they're playing to win two years from now. This battle could last all season, and then some.

Did ScottLaw write this article?

Honestly, it's hard to disagree with any of the points/suggestions made in this article, or other articles with similar points. I don't believe this team will be as bad as many are making them out to be, but it's certainly a "rebuilding/growing pains" type of year. They already showed that the pundits were VERY wrong last year, and the change in culture may lead to more overachieving over the years, but all things considered I would be surprised if they win 8 games. On paper, it looks more like a 5-7 win team to me, and I'm okay with that for this year, as long as we see glimpses of what's to come.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

Honestly, it's hard to disagree with any of the points/suggestions made in this article, or other articles with similar points. I don't believe this team will be as bad as many are making them out to be, but it's certainly a "rebuilding/growing pains" type of year. They already showed that the pundits were VERY wrong last year, and the change in culture may lead to more overachieving over the years, but all things considered I would be surprised if they win 8 games. On paper, it looks more like a 5-7 win team to me, and I'm okay with that for this year, as long as we see glimpses of what's to come.

I agree.  I just think if people here would look at this from the perspective of someone outside they would completely understand why they say what they say.  I mean, everything on offense is up for grabs.  When people think about NFL teams one of the first things they think about is offense and weapons.  Well the Bills have none established anywhere except for a WIDE END who cannot separate from coverage.  But no one knows who's going to be throwing him the football.  McCoy would give some national pundits something to write about but even he's up in the air at this point.  There is nothing that spells or smells points with the Bills offense and that's why people are saying what they say.  Defensively we should be fun to watch, but as it stands there is nothing to put faith in on offense yet, AT ALL.

• Like (+1) 1