Plan to Fix the NCAA

Sky Diver

4 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

So all the other student athletes, toiling away in the weight room, at practice, risking injury, traveling during Break, and competing in their sports at the NCAA level while still going to class, etc. get what exactly?

It mentions them getting uo to 25% i believe, their programs.

Better than they get now.  It's never been about them anyway,.

9 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

This plan is stupid  because most of the guys who are making money for the school are not going to graduate. If they do they do not care about the $50K when they graduate they care about the $12 Million. Rosen needs to concentrate on football.

I have a colleague whose son played at FSU a few years back as mainly a backup. He received the free education, free food, trips all over country, stipend per game he was active(I think only when active), and when they went to Orange Bowl he got like 12 grand in swag. I had a sweeter life in college then since-working like a slob with us.

So he got paid to play in a bowl game.

11 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

This plan is stupid  because most of the guys who are making money for the school are not going to graduate. If they do they do not care about the $50K when they graduate they care about the $12 Million. Rosen needs to concentrate on football.

I have a colleague whose son played at FSU a few years back as mainly a backup. He received the free education, free food, trips all over country, stipend per game he was active(I think only when active), and when they went to Orange Bowl he got like 12 grand in swag. I had a sweeter life in college then since-working like a slob with us.

wow, molten hot take bro.  The guy is trying to move the needle in a national discussion which has been roiling for years.  

2 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Ditch the whole damned system and set up a proper professional minor league for football.

That will never happen, but it should.

History has proven that no one wants this, nor do they want to watch it on TV.

8 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Many in the revenue generating sports are directed toward sham majors designed to keep them eligible with no real career path or marketable skills for the real world.

....but at least there is no salary cap..............

59 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Use the Ivy League's system.  No scholarships.

Create a decent development league and pay athletes who don't care about an education.

And what about athletes who want an education and can’t afford college?

It's obvious that most of the posters in this thread have never been involved in even a peripheral way with major college athletics, ie Div 1 football and basketball.  I attended a large Midwestern "football factory" university back in the 1970s  -- even worked as a tutor for the football team for a semester -- and saw first hand the exploitive nature of big time collegiate athletics. 

While the situation is better today than back in the 70s, it remains extremely exploitive.  "Student athletes" are still recruited to play football or basketball first, and their education is too often directed to simply maintaining their academic eligibility. Most athletes take the minimum number of hours to be considered "full time" students.   They spend hours every day in organized practice, and are expected to spend more time in the weight or training room as well as in team meetings.  How much studying do you think athletes get done on football game days or on road trips where the basketball team plays 2 or 3 games in 3 or 4 days?

Once athletes use up their eligibility or are seriously injured so that they're not able to play, they are kicked to the curb.  The schools that are less exploitive are relatively few.  They tend to be smaller, less competitive programs, although a few well known national programs like Stanford are among the exceptions.

I don't think Rosen's plan is practicable but it's at least a starting point for real discussion on the exploitive nature of big time collegiate athletics.

This is a solution looking for a problem. The current system works. Honestly? I think this is a case of somebody saying ‘hey, there’s a bunch of money over there...I should have some of it’! The athletes are gifted an opportunity. The university has a revenue stream that funds ALL of their sports. The community identifies with the University in town. Non student athletes are drawn together. The country is entertained. I really don’t see a whole lot of ‘exploitation’ going on here. Relax Felecia!

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

Just get rid of the amateur requirement. Guys can sell their autographs for money, do "jobs" for boosters.  The big schools already get the best recruits anyways.  As a bonus, no title 9 headache.

Wont work, you will have the Baker Mayfields, Josh Rosens "signing autographs" for $10 million /yr.

13 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Let’s make them debt slaves. Good plan. That’s certainly better than the current system.

college is 100% about 5 football teams to some types of fans.

i guess they had no need for college otherwise in their lives....  :(

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.