Should We Make a Run @ Le'Veon Bell in 2019?

H2o

29 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'm not saying Bell isn't awesome.  He is.  But he's also got the best WR on the planet and a HOF QB.

I think it happens all the time.  Most teams with superior run games have elite O lines.  Look at Zeke Elliott with an elite line vs. Zeke Elliott (and Dak Prescott, for that matter) without an elite line.  Night and day.

The Broncos, during their run (Elway days) had a revolving door of RBs who did well behind their elite line.  Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, Terrell Davis.

It's just my personal belief that there are very few RBs who can be successful WITHOUT a superior line.  Build the line and a "good," RB becomes "great."

I'll also add:  If a team is a RB away from being a powerhouse, then MAYBE a team should invest that much in one.  The Bills are missing a hell of a lot more pieces than RB.  The timing, price and need are all wrong.

there is a big difference between getting solid production out of a guy and what bell does year in and year out.  there is a huge difference between getting under 1500 yards and getting close to 2000 all purpose yards every year. the broncos did do it but nobody seems to have done it since.  the cowboys are doing it but they also have zeke who is a top 5 pick not some random guy.   

1 hour ago, JP's Voice said:

Investing a large amount of our cap in an aging RB would be one of those moves that we'd be unhappy about for years. We should invest in the O-Line and WR next year, not RB IMO.

....not to mention his whiny gig is getting OLD as well.......no way he's  McD process guy.................

• Like (+1) 1

Honestly, I wouldn't mind having Bell at 15-16 mill a year for 3 years. The league is changing, salaries are rising, and Bell is a perennial All-Pro RB. He can run for 1,300 yards or more, catch 60-70 passes for another 700-800 yards, and he can block. He is a true 3 down RB and top 3 in the league. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, H2o said:

Honestly, I wouldn't mind having Bell at 15-16 mill a year for 3 years. The league is changing, salaries are rising, and Bell is a perennial All-Pro RB. He can run for 1,300 yards or more, catch 60-70 passes for another 700-800 yards, and he can block. He is a true 3 down RB and top 3 in the league. 

that is all true enough !

7 minutes ago, H2o said:

.....honestly that would NEVER happen.....NEVER.......bad enough the desperate QB market is in another galaxy with absurd money being thrown around....BUT...$15 mil for a RB.....or Beckham expecting $20 mil as a WR?.......so who will be the first punter at $10 mil??...........

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.....honestly that would NEVER happen.....NEVER.......bad enough the desperate QB market is in another galaxy with absurd money being thrown around....BUT...$15 mil for a RB.....or Beckham expecting $20 mil as a WR?.......so who will be the first punter at $10 mil??...........

He's not just an elite RB. He is better receiver than many #2s, and several #1s. 

Sammy Watkins just got $16m per year, and Bell has more receiving yards than him the past two seasons!

Edited by TheElectricCompany
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, TheElectricCompany said:

He's not just an elite RB. He is better receiver than most #2s, and several #1s. 

Sammy Watkins just got $16m per year and Bell has more receiving yards,  than him the past two seasons!

....so my next question would be is "Sammy money" well spent based on his "body of work to date"?........interested to see what your perspective may be....

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...now there's a real viable comparison....15 mil for a RB?........thanks...SMH......

I think you're missing the point. I don't think any RB is worth that much. But, which position has more of an impact on the outcome of a game? A DT that basically occupies blockers or a RB that churns out 150 combined yds weekly? Bell is arguably the best RB in the game. Where does Star rank amongst DTs? Neither deserves that much but if you go by who should get paid for what they've done and bring it's Bell hands down.

I say no, just because he wants so much $ and has an injury history, but we have the second most cap space and a front office/coach that wants to build their own team, and an ownership that’s happy to spend. I will trust whatever they decide to do and am pumped to see what they decide. That being said, I’m still optimistic about this season. 

17 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

He's not just an elite RB. He is better receiver than many #2s, and several #1s. 

Sammy Watkins just got $16m per year, and Bell has more receiving yards than him the past two seasons!

no question he has been at top of his game. and qualifies as the best RB because of his overall skill set.

I would prefer Bills build the offense next year and the year after. There will be the opportunity to draft a RB or two soon enough.
Is this all because some assume Shady is going commissioner exempt ? Cuz plenty of folks have been pissing about how much Bills paid Shady for years !

Not a bad idea, BUT,  Bell had 60 or something mroe touches than any other NFL player last season, and will likely have a similar load  this year.   The odds of a breakdown on what will be a VERY high priced player (he turned down 14.5 millino/year) make me say pass.  I'd rather chase some great OL and DL play for that money and draft a RB in Rd. 2.  

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....so my next question would be is "Sammy money" well spent based on his "body of work to date"?........interested to see what your perspective may be....

I thought it was rich for Sammy, but his deal didn't really change the going rate.

Elite receivers are getting $13-$18 million p/year.