Should We Make a Run @ Le'Veon Bell in 2019?

H2o

No thanks....hard pass. All that FA money will be necessary for Offensive Line, CB depth, possibly a WR, and a TE. The Draft is deep on Defensive Line / DE, so I hope they use those Draft picks they did NOT use this year (on Allen) to get better and younger on the D, just as they did this year in some ways. Man, what a difference a competent GM and HC make when it comes to looking at the future.  

I doubt Buffalo goes for it, but I could logically see the thinking. Buffalo obviously has more money than they're likely to even be able to spend next offseason and a Bell deal could easily be structured in a way that it basically clears him out of the picture just in time to give Allen a huge extension (if he happens to warrant it at that time).

Obviously a pursuit of Bell assumes that McCoy is gone. Bell is certainly a very, very special talent that can impact the game in a way most RBs cannot.

I'm all for taking advantage of this time period where the Bills are being cheap on the QB position to build out the rest of the roster and lord knows this team needs some weapons.

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Yeah but look at their QB's.

Not sure what you are getting at? He caught 85 balls and had 1,300 yards on the ground (and missed a game). Bell would be an elite weapon to a pass happy team like GB or a run heavy team like us. He’s Marshall Faulk. There isn’t a team in the league that doesn’t need his skill set.

29 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Not sure what you are getting at? He caught 85 balls and had 1,300 yards on the ground (and missed a game). Bell would be an elite weapon to a pass happy team like GB or a run heavy team like us. He’s Marshall Faulk. There isn’t a team in the league that doesn’t need his skill set.

You were comparing his receptions to the Bills' receivers.  I was saying the difference in QB's is massive and that Shady could get that many receptions with a QB like Roeth, at half the price.

Edited by Doc

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

You were comparing his receptions to the Bills' receivers.  I was saying the difference in QB's is massive.

For a RB that is irrelevant. Shady caught the most balls on our team by 10. Teams that focus on throwing to the RB will see results. It doesn’t matter if Nate Peterman is throwing him the ball or Tom Brady. RB receptions aren’t dependent on quality passers. It is dependent on quality pass catching backs. Duke Johnson caught 74 balls last year. There is no correlation between QB quality and RB receptions. 

31 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

There isn’t a team in the league who should overpay a guy with his amount of touches. The Steelers have used and abused him, he will have more career touches than Demarco Murray by seasons end. 

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

For a RB that is irrelevant. Shady caught the most balls on our team by 10. Teams that focus on throwing to the RB will see results. It doesn’t matter if Nate Peterman is throwing him the ball or Tom Brady. RB receptions aren’t dependent on quality passers. It is dependent on quality pass catching backs. Duke Johnson caught 74 balls last year. There is no correlation between QB quality and RB receptions. 

I added more to my post.

7 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

There isn’t a team in the league who should overpay a guy with his amount of touches. The Steelers have used and abused him, he will have more career touches than Demarco Murray by seasons end. 

He’s going to get around $15m a year for 3 or 4 years (right or wrong). The teams that can afford to do that are teams with QBs on rookie contracts. A team totally devoid of weapons (especially if Shady is gone) makes a lot of sense. 

16 minutes ago, Doc said:

You were comparing his receptions to the Bills' receivers.  I was saying the difference in QB's is massive and that Shady could get that many receptions with a QB like Roeth, at half the price.

Maybe so, but Theo Riddick can get you that many receptions at 20% of his price. The entire point is that the QB is irrelevant (as evidenced by Duke Johnson’s 74 catches). You can find backs to catch a lot of balls cheap. You can’t find guys that rush for 1,300 yards and catch 85 balls cheap. That’s Marshall Faulk territory. 

The Bills have 1 weapon and they may not even have him. If Shady goes I don’t know why anyone would be opposed to adding a guy that would give you 1,300 on the ground and instantly be your best receiver? The cap isn’t an issue. You can take him for a few years and get as much out of him as you can. If he is done after 3 years, so be it. 

From a talent perspective and what he would give a rookie QB, I love it. Realistically though I’m not sure this regime would feel he’s a fit for their “1/11th” philosophy. I’m all for players getting as much as they can while they can. But bell’s reluctance to take these giant deals from the Steelers two years in a row shows me he is more concerned about being paid like an elite offensive weapon than he is about winning. He’s being presented with one of the best situations in the league to win now and put up huge numbers, while getting 15 mill/yr (30 gtd) which is what he said he wanted. He is choosing to go elsewhere because he thinks he can get even more. He’s also another failed/missed drug test away from 10 game suspension i believe. I’m familiar with  the crew he still hangs out with from his HS  and it’s not good. I don’t think his mindset fits what this regime wants, unfortunately, because I would love to have him. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Bell was the 48th pick. How is your statement german to this thread?

45 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I thought Gugny was Chinese.  He speaks German too?  Dang!

20 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

This is german with a little “g” meaning how does it pertain to this thread.

REPORTANDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!