Who is Brad Riter and Why Did He Leave WGR?

2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

One of the links mentioned that he used to do a show with Jeremy White.

I made the mistake of listening to Jeremy White and Howard Simon the other morning.  Jeremy was rambling on about some theory of his, and I was reminded, again, and just how fantastically unintelligent he is.

I simply can't listen to him talk.  Howard is no brain surgeon, but he is not nearly as dumb as Jeremy, and he has a pleasant personality about him for the most part.  He is sort of a go-along to get-along guy.

Sorry to go off-topic from Brad Riter.  I don't understand how anyone could listen to Jeremy White for more than about 5 minutes.

Jeremy is one of those guys who is so desperate to be perceived as smart by others that he will go to great lengths to show you how smart he is, failing to realize the actual smart people who are listening are rolling their eyes because much of what he says makes no sense.

Kinda like when people who "write code" try to talk to me about various programming related things but i have to tune them out 15 seconds in because I can tell they have no idea what they are talking about...

• Like (+1) 1

WGR has gotten very stale, I barely listen anymore. If there was an option to Buffalo sports talk, they would be in real trouble. Shredd and Ragen are way better to listen to, and they do talk about sports, and have informative guests. 

Would love to see GR rid themselves of Schopp and Bulldog, and give Sal the time slot.

• Like (+1) 1

Brad Riter was another reason I stopped listening to WGR more than a decade ago. He would go on these bizarre left wing rants which I didn’t feel like listening to on a station that billed itself as “all sports all the time”. I wanted to hear this guys opinions on geopolitical events about as much as I wanted to hear Donald Rumsfeld’s views on Losman Vs. Edwards.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

I listened to WGR as a kid growing up in the Buffalo area and then listened again on The website/app when they added options to live stream.

Once every so often, I hear of a former personality named Brad Riter.  I know that he occasionally subs on-air as well.  My question is who is Brad Riter?  From what I can gather he used to have a regular show on WGR but he either left or was fired.  Does anyone have the details?

He worked the evening shift with Mike Maniscalco and then Mike left and it was just Brad. They were fun especially their bickering over Doug Flutie. I thought Brad left and then started on some FM talk radio station that was doing sports talk but not sure what happened after that.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

I’m calling BS on this.  This is his company. Does it really seem like the type of product that could make you “$et for life?”

http://www.yougottaknowgames.com/

You don't have to be set for life, but if he is bringing in even 25-30k a year it gives him the ability to pick part time work he wants to bring in another 10-20k. For most people they can do well off that assuming they don't have a tremendous amount of debt.

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 8:37 AM, BuffaloRush said:

I listened to WGR as a kid growing up in the Buffalo area and then listened again on The website/app when they added options to live stream.

Once every so often, I hear of a former personality named Brad Riter.  I know that he occasionally subs on-air as well.  My question is who is Brad Riter?  From what I can gather he used to have a regular show on WGR but he either left or was fired.  Does anyone have the details?

You're asking a lot of f@#$ing questions.  <_<

He worked as a producer on WBEN when Bulldog had his night time show. Then moved to WGR as night time host. 

He was fired in 2007 after he "no showed" at an event, but I think there was a ton more behind it. 

Worked at WECK which floundered. 

I believe the individuals he has issues with at WGR are all now gone, which is why he comes back occasionally to fill in. 

Edited by CBend

22 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

So a bit off topic but what was the deal with WECK?  From what I’ve heard they tried positioning themselves as an alternative to WGR and took some of their talent like Brant Riter and Nick Mendola.  Again, I wasn’t really listening much during this time

The owner ditched the talk shows and went to oldies music. 

22 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

At the time of the firing it was rumored that Riter couldn't figure out a way to show up on time for his shift.  Probably continued to do it after several warnings, and eventually it got him canned.

He gave up on the station in large part because of the way they utilized him. Much like they do with Sal today. If someones on vacation or they need to fill time, hey you're our guy!!

He got tired of it and it showed. I would get tired of it to being told you're covering the morning show, fill in on the afternoon show and then do your own show at night. Sal doesn't seem to care and happily obliges the station. 

18 hours ago, Leonhart2017 said:

Brad Riter was another reason I stopped listening to WGR more than a decade ago. He would go on these bizarre left wing rants which I didn’t feel like listening to on a station that billed itself as “all sports all the time”. I wanted to hear this guys opinions on geopolitical events about as much as I wanted to hear Donald Rumsfeld’s views on Losman Vs. Edwards.

A great point. Why do members of media or sports, entertainment whatever think we give a rat's ass about their political beliefs and we should be subject to them. They have a platform and use it but their beliefs have nothing to do with what got them there. If I wan't politics I'll tune into a political channel. 

22 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

One of the links mentioned that he used to do a show with Jeremy White.

I made the mistake of listening to Jeremy White and Howard Simon the other morning.  Jeremy was rambling on about some theory of his, and I was reminded, again, and just how fantastically unintelligent he is.

I simply can't listen to him talk.  Howard is no brain surgeon, but he is not nearly as dumb as Jeremy, and he has a pleasant personality about him for the most part.  He is sort of a go-along to get-along guy.

Sorry to go off-topic from Brad Riter.  I don't understand how anyone could listen to Jeremy White for more than about 5 minutes.

sucks in a one station town. Morning show is straight unbearable the afternoons  -good god awful. Instigators consistently entertaining and very funny and Murphy is up and down. Brad's stint on the afternoon was one of the most enjoyable  things I've ever heard on WGR. His show on WECK was entertaining and Bob Gaughan was a treat

Edited by CardinalScotts

Except for Bills/Sabres pbp I haven't listened to shows on GR for 10 years. I'm a better person for it too. However, I was listening at the time Brad got canned. He would not show up for work over and over again. Which I could completely see because of how lazy his show was. He thought he was witty and clever when he wasn't. Judging from the comments I see nothing has changed and the station still sucks.  If they ever had competition with a strong signal the firings would begin. They'd have their ratings cut in half in six months. 

• Like (+1) 1

That dude who left WGR because the Bills took Allen is kind of a dingbat. I mean, unless he had another job lined up and was planning to leave anyway, quitting your job based on something a sports team did is pretty lame. 

I don't listen to WGR too much anymore but when I did I would occasionally catch Howard and Jeremy. I really don't mind Howard. Jeremy on the other hand, I dunno, face to face he's probably alright but on the air he seems like he has quite a bit of arrogance. He'd like you to believe he's some kind of expert in fact-based opinions but he's not. Him and the afternoon guys are pretty abysmal at interacting with callers. Surely, they get tired of calls from the not-so-intelligent fans but if any of those guys (sans Howard) gets a caller who has a legitimate opposing opinion to theirs, they either backpedal on what they said, try to tell the caller that they're misinterpreting what they said, or they just listen and go, "Yeah, uh huh, ok, well thanks for calling." 

Sal C works his a$$ off over there and is easily the best guy to listen to. 

9 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

That dude who left WGR because the Bills took Allen is kind of a dingbat. I mean, unless he had another job lined up and was planning to leave anyway, quitting your job based on something a sports team did is pretty lame. 

We discussed it here before, but there is nearly 100% chance he was looking to change his career anyways and was just making a good little gimmick for the show/station that bore fruit.

I like Brad Riter when he is on.  I do not hate each individual host at all (I would rank Bulldog as the worst).... but the station's shows and subject matter is so stale.  Riter comes in and puts it on its ear a bit.  He had a fill in show last week where he only played and discussed a random collection of clips from his shows 10+ years ago and I was captivated.  

1 hour ago, gomper said:

Except for Bills/Sabres pbp I haven't listened to shows on GR for 10 years. I'm a better person for it too. However, I was listening at the time Brad got canned. He would not show up for work over and over again. Which I could completely see because of how lazy his show was. He thought he was witty and clever when he wasn't. Judging from the comments I see nothing has changed and the station still sucks.  If they ever had competition with a strong signal the firings would begin. They'd have their ratings cut in half in six months. 

WGR's issue is their best people IMO have left or are marginalized in their roles. Sal should have his show and replace Schoop/Bulldog. He is really insightful and does a good job balancing his role with a fans perspective whereas Mike seems threatened by any fan who god forbid wants to be a fan for a moment. Joe B was superb and the TV stations got him. A lot of their producers have been better then their hosts like Simon or Schoop. They just seem to settle with what they have far too much.