QB rumors about importance of concussions in choices

KingRex

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm going beyond the issue of Rosen and Allen and how Buffalo evaluated and ranked these specific qbs. There are prospects who may be tremendous prospects but are not suited for intense markets such as New York, Philly and Chicago. There are prospects who can thrive with certain types of HCs and not with other types of HCs. Not all players are going to thrive working under a Belichick or even a Marrone. Certain players may thrive under a Tony Dungy type HC while others may not play up to their potential under him. There are players who thrive under a bombastic Rex type of coach and there are players who recoil at the thought of working for a coach like him. 

My general point is that often it is the circumstances and environment that have to be factored in when evaluating whether a particular prospect is going to succeed at the location he is going to. Part of the evaluation process for each team is determining whether the prospect under consideration is a fit for their organization and even city. 

I get it and even if Rosen thrives in AZ and Rosen struggles here doesn’t mean the same would happen flipped.... fit is huge.

but in this huge hypothetical in the OP, it was concussion plus family money causing early retirement- and that personality didn’t bother them and the thought Rosen was a better player. 

3 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

We,ll apparently there were what 9 or 10 other teams just as dumb.  IMO the fact that Rosen dropped as far as he did shows that most teams in the league had similar feelings.  Once you get down to the tenth or so pick, not as much to lose if the pick doesn't work out.

I'm not sure that's what it means.  3 teams drafting ahead of 10th drafted QB (Cle, NYJ, Buf).  They might be dumb, or they can be presumed to have these feelings......
Den would be the "wild card" team that seems to need a QB, but passed on Rosen

The rest of the teams drafting ahead of 'Zona (NYG, Cle, Ind, Chi, SF) rightly or wrongly consider they already have a QB.

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

If concussions and arrogance were issues on the minds of GMs in years past,  Marino, Kelly and Elway would never have been drafted where they were. 

Concussions have been a feature since day one of tackle football.  What is labeled a concussion now would not have been bothered with in the past---yet many of these players had full careers and still show no evidence of brain injury.  No doubt some will someday, but to rule out a guy despite all you have reviewed with hundreds of hours of tape, as well as live and in person, because he has an attitude and might get his bell rung a lot---particularly because some doctor has "calculated" his risk......I just don't believe that's why the Bills passed on Rosen.  I think they truly felt Allen is better.

True enough but times have changed nonetheless.

Refs, medical staff, and coaches are far more likely to take a guy out because of a concussion.  Players are far more likely to take themselves out - or even retire - because of concussions.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Please, please, please don’t turn this into a Tyrod thread. For some reason anytime someone mentions him, certain people jump into say “yeah but he wasn’t good.” This thread isn’t about Tyrod. The OP clearly said that they had “mixed feelings” on him. I think that a lot of people did.

The point of this thread was to talk about how teams are factoring in concussion issues. “The most important ability is availability.” That has been a motto of McDermott since he got here. The Bills seem to be taking that seriously. That’s the story here not Tyrod vs. the Panthers. 

FWIW, I think that it is something that needs to be considered. We’ve seen a bunch of guys recently walk away for fear over their long-term health. It is still a secondary factor in my opinion but when you have a decision to make it can be a tiebreaker. It is “A” factor not “THE” factor.

My eyes glazed over after the 3rd paragraph but before I zoned out Tyrod Taylor was mentioned.     Ergo a TT thread 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Refs, medical staff, and coaches are far more likely to take a guy out because of a concussion.  Players are far more likely to take themselves out - or even retire - because of concussions.  

Absolutely! The world is a different place when it comes to concussions. We are far more capable in terms of treating the body, and FAR more aware and cautious when it comes to the brain.

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I agree with you on those points.  But for the OP say Buffalo "nixed" the pick because some "fly on the wall" doc warned them that this particular franchise QB prospect would be one the few QBs in NFL history to be brain injured a few years after his rookie season is........nuts.

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I refuse to turn this into a TT thread

I think that Rosen's style of play also plays into this.....he is not mobile (and yes we wanted a pocket passer but you have to be able to escape trouble at times) and as I watch Rosen while incredib accurate also has this habit of stepping right into hits.....that is a not for long qb I dont care how frail or strong your body is.

With Allen......I think it could be entirely possible that at this moment in time Rosen might be better.....but lets not forget that Allen probably has not reached his ceiling as a qb....and qbs drafted can be at a certain level and when it is all said and done the qb with the higher ceiling can end up being the better qb in a couple of years.

I just hope that the bills dont try to use Josh Allen the athlete in their game plan and have him make his throws from the pocket and keep his ability to run in his back pocket for when nobody is open situations and not the other way around....a big strong cannon armed qb with a quick release......then run like a deer for that first down when all else fails.

Who was making this a TT thread?

When did I mention TT or even elude to him? My whole post was about Rosen...  I'm happy they are moving on from TT and didn't take Rosen for the reasons alluded to in the OP.

Edited by RocCityRoller

I think an organization would be stupid not factor in concussion history into's its player evaluations especially QBs given how many have had to cut their careers short and with the new policies its much more likely for them to miss more games due to concussions. NOT the only factor but definately an important one. Rosen would definitely be a risk for retiring early due to concussions and missing games. the more concussions one has the easier it is to get the next one and the damage is cumulative. Factor in that his dad is a doctor who would probably try to talk him into retiring if he's starting to get more concussions and that he doesn't need the money and i would think it was a part of the Bills decision to not draft him and I'm glad to think its on their radar. 

On 7/15/2018 at 8:31 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

I would hate it. It is worth consideration but as a tiebreaker. Rosen has been my guy for a couple of years. I hope I’m wrong. 

Don't worry. I believe in you. You are definitely wrong.