Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel

Ice bowl 67

22 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

There are two types of people in the world who hate the Beatles.  Ones trying to "seem cool" or ironic or whatever in their claim and liars.  I hope you are just a liar.  I've had a saying for a while "never trust anyone who doesn't like the Beatles" and it always holds true.  Elton John and Billy Joel are very easy to dislike though, as well as Gabriel.

Peter Gabriel, Elton John, and Billy Joel are to me all examples of music that was ruined once the artists were dragged into 'mainstream pop', a term that I use but don't fully understand.  Go back to these artists' early works for their best compositions.  Another example I use is the J. Geils Band.  There's a group of listeners out there who think the schlock of 'Centerfold' is the high water mark, whereas we dinosaurs remember the late 60s - early 70s as when this group was at a peak creatively.  

"Sledgehammer," is the worst song on one of the greatest albums of all time, in my opinion.

What surprised me, a few weeks ago, is learning that the "Electric Slide," song is about using a dildo.  Had no clue.

On 7/14/2018 at 12:56 AM, Ice bowl 67 said:

I've listened to this song for over 25 years and never knew the meaning until I watched the video. I always thought Gabriel was a classy guy and not a pervert. The first 15 seconds of the video gave away the meaning. Great song but I couldn't believe the true definition of this song after all these years. I wonder how long it took to shoot this video?

Man, are you going to be shocked when you find out that Madonna's "Papa Don't Preach" is an anti-abortion song.