Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel

Ice bowl 67

I've listened to this song for over 25 years and never knew the meaning until I watched the video. I always thought Gabriel was a classy guy and not a pervert. The first 15 seconds of the video gave away the meaning. Great song but I couldn't believe the true definition of this song after all these years. I wonder how long it took to shoot this video?

Edited by Ice bowl 67

1 hour ago, Ice bowl 67 said:

I've listened to this song for over 25 years and never knew the meaning until I watched the video. I always thought Gabriel was a classy guy and not a pervert. The first 15 seconds of the video gave away the meaning. Great song but I couldn't believe the true definition of this song after all these years. I wonder how long it took to shoot this video?

I point to that video as the moment that music videos "jumped the shark" so to speak, for me.  I hate this video, and by extension, this song.  I don't specifically remember the first 15 seconds of the video, but given your description, I assume "sledgehammer" is euphamism for screwing....I hate this video so much though, I don't want to look...

All will be forgiven when you go back and listen to Supper’s Ready and figure out what that song is about. 

Oh and just so you know George Michael’s I Want Your Sex is about the socio-economic challenges of of living in the overpopulated world in the late 1980’s. It’s a pretty deep song actually. 

Edited by Chef Jim
  • Haha (+1) 3

Peter Gabriel is a good example of a very talented and naturally artistic guy whose music I rather dislike.

Also on the list, for me, are The Beatles, Elton John, Billy Joel, and many other talented, famous people.

Paul McCartney has to be one of the most naturally talented musicians of the modern era, on top of being massively important to the history of music.  The man wrote "smash #1 hits" for breakfast.  

And yet I don't believe there is a single song of his that I would choose to listen to.

It's interesting from the perspective of asking why we perceive certain music to be "good" and why one person likes a certain song over another.  It's all about aesthetics and it's incredibly hard to define or understand how that works.

1 hour ago, bbb said:

It's one song that it seemed like everybody loved that I just didn't get.  The chorus is so boring to me...............I do LOVE Solsbury Hill, though.

The Mighty Taco parody of 'Solsbury Hill' was good as well.

?I don't want no Salisbury steak,

Pizza makes my stomach ache,

Chicken wings give me a fright,

Like the hamburger I had last night,

I could not believe the indigestion,

Then my friend made this suggestion,

Give me two soft Mighties,

I'm going to take them home.?

Second verse may not be 100% correct.  Parody is 40 years old, I remember most of it, but I'm f***** if you ask me where I set my car keys 1/2 an hour ago...

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

The Mighty Taco parody of 'Solsbury Hill' was good as well.

?I don't want no Salisbury steak,

Pizza makes my stomach ache,

Chicken wings give me a fright,

Like the hamburger I had last night,

I could not believe the indigestion,

Then my friend made this suggestion,

Give me two soft Mighties,

I'm going to take them home.?

Second verse may not be 100% correct.  Parody is 40 years old, I remember most of it, but I'm f***** if you ask me where I set my car keys 1/2 an hour ago...

Haha - Mighty Taco commercials have been the best for so long! 

To the tune of  "Copacabana"

Down at the Taco, the Mighty Taco 

The place where the cool and the hip go

Down at the Taco, the Mighty Taco 

Soft, hard and super they won't' hurt your pooper...

Also one from probably 1975:

Hey! There's somebody  in our dumpster!

Oh, it's just the guy from the other taco place using OUR garbage to make HIS tacos.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Wacka said:

Also one from probably 1975:

Hey! There's somebody  in our dumpster!

Oh, it's just the guy from the other taco place using OUR garbage to make HIS tacos.

I imagine it would be considered politically incorrect nowadays, but the one relating to visiting a restaurant in Japan:

"Oh waiter!"           

"Ah, so?"

"WHAT DID YOU CALL ME?!"

"Ah, so."

Scene degenerates into a fight, with our tourist remarking only polite service at the Mighty Taco.

The original MT on Hertel had many hand written notes hawking items for sale, help wanted, etc. pinned to the wall by the order counter.  One posted by staff:

'Do you suffer from 'dog breath'?  Then please turn your head when ordering.'

10 hours ago, Bad Things said:

image.png.00d938e906a9b411713ed226f8ff2886.png

Nonsense.  We've steered it into recalling old Mighty Taco commercials.

The one on Forest has a small electrical box in the wall where you waited in line . There was a piece of wood in there to stop someone from getting electrocuted.  Someone wrote on it "Can't F*** with this a**h***."

The original 3 locations (Forest, Bailey and Seneca) had no seats. You ordered,  got the food, and left. At the Bailey location I had gotten my food and was waiting outside for my friend to get his, A guy comes running up the sidewalk  chased by several other guys.  He suddenly grabs me to use me as a shield against the others. One of those guys takes me, pushes me off to the side and they start pummeling  him until the police sirens start  and they all take off.

I dig the bass in that song. I never really paid attention to any meaning to the lyrics, but now I recognize the innuendos. So what? That is pretty mild if you ask me.

I always thought Pearl Necklace was about the most blatant double entendre (sp?) In rock and roll, besides maybe Big Balls. I love those songs too!

Edited by BUFFALOKIE

2 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Doesn't the Packers board have an off-topic section?

I’ve never been on the Packers board but have seen a few other team sites.  This is definitely the most active off the wall/random thoughts section.

I love it but it opens up the doors to everything

20 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Peter Gabriel is a good example of a very talented and naturally artistic guy whose music I rather dislike.

Also on the list, for me, are The Beatles, Elton John, Billy Joel, and many other talented, famous people.

Paul McCartney has to be one of the most naturally talented musicians of the modern era, on top of being massively important to the history of music.  The man wrote "smash #1 hits" for breakfast.  

And yet I don't believe there is a single song of his that I would choose to listen to.

It's interesting from the perspective of asking why we perceive certain music to be "good" and why one person likes a certain song over another.  It's all about aesthetics and it's incredibly hard to define or understand how that works.

There are two types of people in the world who hate the Beatles.  Ones trying to "seem cool" or ironic or whatever in their claim and liars.  I hope you are just a liar.  I've had a saying for a while "never trust anyone who doesn't like the Beatles" and it always holds true.  Elton John and Billy Joel are very easy to dislike though, as well as Gabriel.