Not all that bad if Shaddy goes

56 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I agree with you. THE OP's point was that a lack of a run game would somehow force us to become a passing offense. I was arguing that without a credible running threat, the passing game doesn't work.

I agree with you, my comment was mostly directed at the OP. I could tell you understand how offenses work.

• Like (+1) 1

Shady McCoy is a playmaker both in the run game and the passing game.  If the OC lets the offense become predictable with Shady on the field, that's on the OC, not Shady.  Regarding Josh Allen, last year at Wyoming he had no running game (along with very poor protection from his oline).  That set of circumstances appeared to do his development no favors, and I expect the same would be true with the Bills, even assuming Allen starts this year.  The latter is far from certain.

On the flip side, while Shady showed no signs of slowing down last season, he is 30 years old, and many running backs find it tough to stay healthy and productive after they hit 30.  While losing Shady this season would be an unquestioned negative factor for the upcoming season, age alone suggests he might not be in their long term plans.

Edited by TigerJ

3 hours ago, WIDE LEFT said:

Wow there are a lot of folks on this board who are completely naive or are such fan boys they can’t see the forest for the trees. The facts are pretty straightforward - UNSUB uses keys to enter the home. Beats the ex girlfriend while demanding the EXACT jewelry Shady has been asking to be returned for months. Beats the ex girlfriend who Shady has been trying to evict for months. Shady just happened to change the security cameras shortly before the incident. History of police visits to home because of domestic disputes. There is only one conclusion, Shady was not directly involved, but the UNSUB was acting at his direction. The UNSUB was given the keys to access the home by “somebody”. Who but Shady.

But relax fan boys. Police or NFL are a long way from proving any of this. If the UNSUB is never identified, Shady skates. A real possibility. Doesn’t change what common sense clearly dictates. You would have to be a complete fool to believe, given this fact pattern, that Shay had no involvement.

An accusation is almost always compelling when you've only heard one side of a story.   And that's all we've heard so far.  The bits and pieces released by the police are all based on Cordon's statements.  Her side is the only side we're hearing.  And we don't know if she's being perfectly precise and accurate.

For example, you say the intruder was demanding the "EXACT" jewelry that Shady had been asking for.  That's not a fact.   Cordon claims that the intruder asked for items Shady had asked for.  Maybe the perp asked for the ring and bracelet she was wearing because they looked valuable (both gifts from Shady) while also asking for cash and other valuables that Shady never asked for. 

We have to be careful because Cordon may well have skewed her answers to the police to make Shady look guilty because she's convinced he is guilty.   She's clearly not an objective reporter of the events that transpired.  She's angry and biased.  

It's also not a fact that the intruder had keys.  We only know that the police say there was no evidence of forced entry.   Maybe Cordon left a door unlocked or a window open.  

I'm not saying Shady is innocent.  There's enough circumstantial evidence to be concerned and I'm not feeling good about this.  But let's not call people who are careful about not rushing to judgment "naive" "fan boys."  The insults are unnecessary and unwise.  

Edited by hondo in seattle

13 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Losing Wood, Incognito and now Shady. Nah, the running game will on cue as always and that will open up the play action game. Right? Right?

Wgr just had a segment this morning about a successful running game and the impact it has on the play action game.  The guy that did the research found there is zero correlation between the two.  A successful run game doesn't mean you will have a successful play action game.  Also a bad run game doesn't mean you will have a bad play action game.  

5 hours ago, nucci said:

No it doesn't. Have you ever seen teams throw on 1st down even though they have great running backs? Do the Steelers run on 1st and 2nd down because of Bell? Do teams throw to their RBs on 1st and 2nd down? 

But this is Buffalo...we like trading our best players

I remember the last time we dumped our best RB.

Let's just cool down and see what happens. could be another Corey McIntire type situation.  Looks bad at first only to turn out to be nothing.

4 hours ago, WIDE LEFT said:

Wow there are a lot of folks on this board who are completely naive or are such fan boys they can’t see the forest for the trees. The facts are pretty straightforward - UNSUB uses keys to enter the home. Beats the ex girlfriend while demanding the EXACT jewelry Shady has been asking to be returned for months. Beats the ex girlfriend who Shady has been trying to evict for months. Shady just happened to change the security cameras shortly before the incident. History of police visits to home because of domestic disputes. There is only one conclusion, Shady was not directly involved, but the UNSUB was acting at his direction. The UNSUB was given the keys to access the home by “somebody”. Who but Shady.

But relax fan boys. Police or NFL are a long way from proving any of this. If the UNSUB is never identified, Shady skates. A real possibility. Doesn’t change what common sense clearly dictates. You would have to be a complete fool to believe, given this fact pattern, that Shay had no involvement.

UNSUB?....you've been watching too much Criminal Minds...

5 hours ago, WIDE LEFT said:

Yeah, that's not what happened.  Here's what Cordon says:

"He took my jewelry, my diamond bracelet off my wrist.  He just kept asking for jewelry, I think it's got something to do with my ex-boyfriend...  I really feel like, because we're breaking up and he wants all his jewelry back."

https://www.wivb.com/news/local-news/cbs-cordon-no-longer-certain-mccoy-was-involved-in-attack/1300798250

McCoy's been asking Cordon for the jewelry that was actually loaned by a jewelry store.  He had not been asking for jewelry given to Cordon as gifts.   Reportedly, the items stolen were not the loaned items McCoy wanted back.   They were his gifts.

I'd think the NFL would first want to see where this ends up from a police investigation.  If they never find the person that broke in would be hard to implicate McCoy from a criminal standpoint.  That being said the NFL can still go after him and likely will investigate big time, however not sure it would happen before this season ends particularly with appeals that can drag things on.  Without finding the person who broke in a lot of both pointing fingers at eachother.  Likely need to find other people to sort through it all which again could take time.

My take is it's easy to draft a RB to go for 1000 yards next spring if they have a halfway decent team around him, so assume Shady does make it through this year, I'll be surprised if he's around next season between this event and the fact that he'll be 31.  Probably the best thing that could happen to Buffalo is the NFL suspends him year end as then the Bills may not take as big a cap hit for him.

14 hours ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

What makes you think Allen will be the opening day starter?

What makes you think he isn’t? He had a good spring and is on track to start. All he has to do is have a good training camp and preseason.

11 hours ago, mannc said:

A famous shad fisherman...works the lower Niagara.  Surprised you've never heard of him. 

I have a shadberry tree growing in my back yard - for real.  It goes by several names, but shad berry is one of them.

No it's not all that bad if Shady goes. I just want to start off by saying that I have a ton of respect for Shady as a football player. I'm not saying I wouldn't miss seeing his work ethic and play on the field.

The team defined itself as run heavy, that was a nice way of saying no passing game.

Until the offense can fire on all cylinders I'm not missing any body. A lot of guys have left that I won't miss because the team didn't have it together enough to feature them. 

I'd miss shady as a featured playmaker. Not a guy carring a crappy offense that you would be lucky to see score more then once or twice a game. You might as well have a crap rb as well and save the money.

Edited by Lfod

12 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I've been saying, short of a Barry Sanders season, he can't compliment our playoff caliber defense, and carry our offense to the playoffs again.. we're just so undermanned on offense and he's the only skill position talent we have going for us. He's capable of it and it would be a shame if our offense can't play just adequate enough to let our improved defense win games.

Agreed

12 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

(.......)

I think it's virtually impossible Shady is out this season, just because the NFL wants the smoke to clear and there's no time between that and appeals. Exact same situation with Zeke. Unfortunately it's likely Shady is out for a sizeable chunk the 2019 season, even if he's not involved in the case. The allegations and implication are enough, and it's way too difficult to prove innocence without a shadow of a doubt rather than simply not guilty.

I think you have a couple of very valid points.  The woman involved has clearly "lawyered up".   There will be a criminal investigation, and if evidence is found linking Shady to the assault/robbery there will be an NFL investigation.  These Things Take Time.  It seems more likely than not to me that absent a sudden "smoking gun" as it were, it will all drag into the off-season.  Then I think it's likely, even if there aren't criminal charges, that Shady will face some league discipline.  The drama around him just keeps piling up.  The party bus incident, the baby-mama-drama, the "party hostess" who claims her jewelry was taken,  the nightclub brawl with the police officers, and now this.  Shady has been relatively teflon to date, but if there's anything to this at all, seems like Goodell has to take a "enough bad PR is enough" stance as he did with Roethlisberger.

I don't at all understand what Beane's plan is to build our offense.  The RB room is ancient.  There is no young cheap RB talent in the league?  But let's say his plan is to bring in a horde of young WR this year and try to cull out a couple keepers.  Perhaps they don't want lots of young WR and young RBs simultaneously.  If so, expect them to bring in a herd of young RB next year.  Maybe they would prefer to move on from Shady in 2019 anyway when he's down to $2.6M dead cap and keep Chris Ivory as the "vet influence in the room" if he shows anything at all.

On 7/13/2018 at 5:15 AM, Niagara Dude said:

End of the day everyone would love Shaddy to be cleared of these charges but if he is not then it may just accelerate the move from ground and pound offense to modern day passing.  The good teams pass the football,  playing conservative ground and pound gets you tossed come playoff time.

Having Shaddy here means running on 1st and 2nd down and being predictable on offense and teams just put 8-9 guys in the box. We drafted Allen for his arm,  go out there and make modern day throws.  

This has to be a troll comment. If not, worst comment in the history of the board (aside from politics).

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Agreed

I think you have a couple of very valid points.  The woman involved has clearly "lawyered up".   There will be a criminal investigation, and if evidence is found linking Shady to the assault/robbery there will be an NFL investigation.  These Things Take Time.  It seems more likely than not to me that absent a sudden "smoking gun" as it were, it will all drag into the off-season.  Then I think it's likely, even if there aren't criminal charges, that Shady will face some league discipline.  The drama around him just keeps piling up.  The party bus incident, the baby-mama-drama, the "party hostess" who claims her jewelry was taken,  the nightclub brawl with the police officers, and now this.  Shady has been relatively teflon to date, but if there's anything to this at all, seems like Goodell has to take a "enough bad PR is enough" stance as he did with Roethlisberger.

I don't at all understand what Beane's plan is to build our offense.  The RB room is ancient.  There is no young cheap RB talent in the league?  But let's say his plan is to bring in a horde of young WR this year and try to cull out a couple keepers.  Perhaps they don't want lots of young WR and young RBs simultaneously.  If so, expect them to bring in a herd of young RB next year.  Maybe they would prefer to move on from Shady in 2019 anyway when he's down to $2.6M dead cap and keep Chris Ivory as the "vet influence in the room" if he shows anything at all.

i think shady's gonna have a great year specifically in terms of total yardage. i think he's gonna catch a lot of passes. i also think that, if that happens, i could see him redoing his contract in order to stay on the team next year.  hopefully we also draft one fairly high.

14 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

I’m giving Shady side-eye, but that’s it as of yet. If he had a hand in this he ought be done and should face time. 

after now hearing that the ex gf is saying that now she's not sure if shady may have been involved, i don't think there will ever be any charges ( unless they catch the guy and he sings) and i think everything will fade away soon.

Edited by billsredneck1