Ocean City, Maryland

stuvian

4 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Dewey with a family???? Unless you got 8-year-olds that like bloody's at 10 AM and lots of skin, stay far far away from Dewey with a family.

Man, do i miss those weekends at Dewey where I would never see the beach!!!!

Wow... talk about exaggeration 

Edited by GETTOTHE50

3 hours ago, PastaJoe said:

We’ve been going to Cape May, NJ for the past 20 years. There’s a car ferry between it and Lewes. Lots of nice beaches in southern NJ.

Next time you're around, I'll buy you  a beer.

I love Cape May. That being said, if I wanna day at the beach, I'll hit up WW or AC. Quicker drive.

Just now, GETTOTHE50 said:

Holy hell talk about exaggeration 

Maybe life has changed there...but i spent a good chunk of my summer weekends in my late 20's and early 30's at Dewey...i would not even want my 17 year old son around that now.

https://www.washingtonian.com/2008/08/01/dewey-beach-grownups-gone-wild/Granted this is a bit of a dated article, but if the place did not change bewtween 1989 and 2008, prolly not changed much recently

I used to go to Ocean City, MD a lot until I discovered the Delaware beaches.     

If boardwalk nightlife and skill cranes are an absolute, positive must have, Ocean City is your best opportunity. 

If the beach is the primary attraction, can't beat a Delaware beach.  

I rent a place in DE and enjoy the beaches there and will travel down to Ocean City for a night of the boardwalk. 

10 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

If you looking for more of a secluded, non-boardwalk beach vacation.Sandbridge feels like the Outerbanks(it is, but access from VA) , much closer. and easier to get to   5 miles from VA beach and all it offers. An underrated part of the East Coast beach options.

I've stayed in Sandbridge several times.  It's nice but be aware, the further to the North you stay lower the F-18's are when they buzz your house.  The Oceana NAS is very close by and the flight paths line up with the Northern end of Sandbridge. If a carrier is loading or unloading during your stay it can be endless.  Otherwise it is a pretty steady stream of planes in and out.  Sometimes you have guys practicing so they will do a touch and go, loop around and do another, over and over.  

I'm a fan of Corolla in the OBX.  Takes a lot longer to get there but it's quieter.  For me it's more like vacation, Sandbridge is a neighborhood.

As for Ocean City, it's not really my cup of tea but my wife grew up going to Jersey beaches.  I refuse to go there so this is a compromise.  My in-laws have a home on the Bay and we go down a couple times a year. There's a boardwalk and all that - I agree with a previous poster regarding some of the clientele and I witnessed some stuff in a mens room that didn't make me feel real good about having my young kids with me but it's not as bad as say Wildwood in NJ.  You should be aware of any local events.  There are multiple bike weeks and car weeks that bring in another whole element of interesting.  The OC government tries to keep a lid on it, they really want to remain family friendly but if you want a quiet time at the beach that's not it.  Assateague National Seashore is very close by and that's nice.  You'll see wild horses (and their poo).  There are generally many fewer people there than OC beaches.  $20 per car   

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/13/2018 at 6:11 PM, That's No Moon said:

It's nice but be aware, the further to the North you stay lower the F-18's are when they buzz your house.  The Oceana NAS is very close by and the flight paths line up with the Northern end of Sandbridge. If a carrier is loading or unloading during your stay it can be endless.  Otherwise it is a pretty steady stream of planes in and out.  Sometimes you have guys practicing so they will do a touch and go, loop around and do another, over and over.  

As a former carrier sailor, those F-18s are music to my ears.:lol:

Was in Sandbridge earlier this summer and once last August.  The F-18s seemed more prevalent last year.  We like Sandbridge more than OC, but be aware, there's not as much to do outside the beach.  There's a restaurant or two, a couple of ice cream stores, but you're going for just that: getting away from the hustle and bustle of places like OC.  Also, it's mostly large seven bedroom-type homes there, that are geared toward multiple family stays.  There's a condo place on the water that's quite nice, but you're paying big bucks here too.

Edited by Ned Flanders
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

As a former carrier sailor, those F-18s are music to my ears.:lol:

Was in Sandbridge earlier this summer and once last August.  The F-18s seemed more prevalent last year.  We like Sandbridge more than OC, but be aware, there's not as much to do outside the beach.  There's a restaurant or two, a couple of ice cream stores, but you're going for just that: getting away from the hustle and bustle of places like OC.  Also, it's mostly large seven bedroom-type homes there, that are geared toward multiple family stays.  There's a condo place on the water that's quite nice, but you're paying big bucks here too.

I like Sandbridge MUCH more than Ocean City. Not much to do is a matter of perspective. It's not a long ride to get to VA Beach proper and all that is there as opposed to parts of OBX that are really isolated. One of the silly things we liked to do in Sandbridge is play bingo at the fire hall. Nit sure what day of the week they are running it this summer but its kind of a nice small beachbtown sort of thing ti do for an hour or two.  I like the isolated rather than the cheesy boardwalk beaches but that's just me. Give me a beach with as few people as possible. I'm buying a 4x4 truck soon specifically so I can start going past the end of rt. 12 to Carova Beach and have even fewer people to see/hear on my vacation.

Just drove through there last week.  Didn’t stop by my impression was “tourist trap”.  Way commercialized, and quite crowded.

Bethany Beach, just north of there, looked much more relaxing

OC is pretty cool.  They have all the activities you could want.. Beach, boardwalk,  mini golf, go karts, fishing, site seeing boats, nice hotels, crappy hotels, endless beach rental condos/homes and restaurants.

We rented a house in Rehoboth, DE a few years ago.  That was the most crowded beach I've ever been on in my life.  Never again, but it's a cool town to visit and go to dinner at.

The best family location for us is Bethany.  But it's pricey where we stay.  It's a smaller, more family oriented area but really easy access to Ocean City and Rehoboth for a day/evening visit.