Would you take this bet on Buffalo sports?

11 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

If he takes the bet, $2,000 buys him 10 years of chances that the Bills or Sabres can win a championship....and if they did, he gets $10,000, so that's a nice profit.

Then again, both organizations have been around for a long time with no NFL or NHL championships to date.

Therein lies the conundrum.

I doubt he will get the same offer every year.

10 hours ago, White Linen said:

How is "if either team wins a championship during the life of the bet" defined?

"... if the football and hockey seasons both end ..."   

Right? "... the ... both ..." That means two seasons. Not four or six or eight or more. He means this year only, doesn't he? 

I wouldn't take that bet. Why throw away the $200?

• Like (+1) 1

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/07-12-schopp-bulldog-hour-3  (around 25:00)

Ah, no, you guys were right. It's a continuous bet, $200 every year. So yeah, the key quote is "in the life of the bet," and how long that lasted.

19 minutes ago, CowgirlsFan said:

Define championship.

Super Bowl?

Stanley Cup?

Yes, having listened to the program just now, that's what he meant, Super Bowl or Stanley Cup.

1 hour ago, Neo said:

Drane’s friend is giving much better odds than Vegas could.

Not when you presume you aren't going to "hit" on the bet for at least a few years.  Neither the Bills nor Sabres should be expected to compete for a championship for the next two seasons, so by the end of season three he's already lost $600.

3 hours ago, eball said:

Not when you presume you aren't going to "hit" on the bet for at least a few years.  Neither the Bills nor Sabres should be expected to compete for a championship for the next two seasons, so by the end of season three he's already lost $600.

I assumed from the OP that the $200 payout was a one time thing and the "lifetime of the bet" could mean many things including "ever".  In which case it would be a worthwhile bet if you believed your friend would ever pay out the $10K in the event you win.  If the "lifetime of the bet" means 1 year, it would be a foolish wager.

The Vegas odds for either the Bills or Sabres to win is 1.25% or combined 2.5%.  If you were going to be indifferent and assuming no transactions cost (juice) to win $10 k your certainty equivalent would be $250, sine you are only laying $200 it is a good bet.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

5 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I assumed from the OP that the $200 payout was a one time thing and the "lifetime of the bet" could mean many things including "ever".  In which case it would be a worthwhile bet if you believed your friend would ever pay out the $10K in the event you win.  If the "lifetime of the bet" means 1 year, it would be a foolish wager.

The idea was $200 to be paid every year (for a period of years) that both teams fail to win a championship.

Lifetime of bet means more than 1 year, though how long, exactly, wasn't really stipulated.

The payout that would have only occurred once (and would presumably mark the end of the bet) was if the friend has to pay $10,000 b/c the Bills or Sabres won a championship.

9 hours ago, CowgirlsFan said:

Define championship.

Super Bowl?

Stanley Cup?

Yes for both.

On 7/12/2018 at 7:15 PM, Fadingpain said:

Hour 3 of Schopp and Bulldog today.  Caller "Dane" (I think he said) calls in and asks Mike if he should accept this bet being offered by a co-worker.

The deal is that if the football and hockey seasons both end with neither the Bills or Sabres winning a championship, Dane has to pay his friend $200.

However, if either team wins a championship during the life of the bet, the other guy has to pay Dane $10,000.

If you are Dane, do you accept the bet? 

Yes , I will be making money.

On July 12, 2018 at 7:32 PM, billsredneck1 said:

i'd take it and if either won a division championship, i'd demand 10k......no one said what championship.

No such thing in the NFL.  I wouldn't pay the 10k on that.

On 7/13/2018 at 2:22 PM, Fadingpain said:

The idea was $200 to be paid every year (for a period of years) that both teams fail to win a championship.

Lifetime of bet means more than 1 year, though how long, exactly, wasn't really stipulated.

The payout that would have only occurred once (and would presumably mark the end of the bet) was if the friend has to pay $10,000 b/c the Bills or Sabres won a championship.

Yes for both.

But that's the entire issue.  Obviously no one would take that bet if it was just one year because 50:1 would be terrible odds for these two teams.

The question becomes more interesting if it's "$200 per year until a championship or until expiration after 10 (or 20) years" (or some other number that offers a chance they could someday win one).

And of course the dude putting up $10k would need to deposit it in an escrow account.

2 hours ago, KD in CA said:

But that's the entire issue.  Obviously no one would take that bet if it was just one year because 50:1 would be terrible odds for these two teams.

The question becomes more interesting if it's "$200 per year until a championship or until expiration after 10 (or 20) years" (or some other number that offers a chance they could someday win one).

And of course the dude putting up $10k would need to deposit it in an escrow account.

I think the spirit of the whole thing was that it would continue for a fairly lengthy time.

His friend is basically saying "I'll pay you $10,000 when one of these miserable franchises wins a championship" because he is thinking it will, effectively, never happen.  And in the meantime he keeps collecting $200 a year off his friend as a penalty for having faith one of the 2 teams can do it.

How many years that would play out, exactly, wasn't mentioned.  It was just a quick phone call.

I do think "Dane" was being honest however; like I think he actually has a buddy at work who proposed this bet to him.  As to whether or not his buddy would be good for the money, who knows.  Maybe.

It's a bet among friends.

14 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

?????there's no such thing as afce champions.?....or championship each year?

You said "division championships"..  There is no such thing.  A championship requires a championship game or games where the tow best teams play..  Having the best record in the divison means you "win" the division.  It grants you a playoff spot. 

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You said "division championships"..  There is no such thing.  A championship requires a championship game or games where the tow best teams play..  Having the best record in the divison means you "win" the division.  It grants you a playoff spot. 

but is the division winner not called champion(s)?...ie. afce champions? if used in a sentence consider, the ne patriots have 9 straight afce championships....

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

but is the division winner not called champion(s)?...ie. afce champions? if used in a sentence consider, the ne patriots have 9 straight afce championships....

nope.  9 straight division wins.