Would you take this bet on Buffalo sports?

I'd easily take that $200...

We know the Bills aren't winning the Super Bowl, let alone the AFC East crown, so the only way I'd be at risk of losing $10,000 would be if the Sabres somehow go from dead last in the league to Championship in one shot.

I guess it's possible, but would any non-homer bet the Browns would go from dead last in the league to winning the Super Bowl this year? 

Hell, even though I'd only make $200, I'd take that bet with 50 separate people & still feel safe. Then I'd come away with $10,000 anyway, even if I did just risk paying $500k 

20 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

nope.  9 straight division wins.

That's actually not true. They are called 9 time AFC East Champions. Just as the 90's Bills are always referred to as having won 5 out of 6 AFC East championships. 

Hell, just google any articles that discuss those teams, or the Bills franchise achievements as a whole. Here's just the Wikipedia page of the Bills - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Bills

It even notes "Conference Championships," and "Division Championships" to go along with League Championships. In record books, in documentaries, in discussion, and on banners, division & conference championships are certainly referred to as "Championships," not "wins."

Also, your comment "A championship requires a championship game or games where the tow best teams play" isn't true either. There are conferences in College Football that don't have a championship game, yet have a designated champion.

The NFL already officially recognizes both division & conference champions...here's even more proof (in case you didn't want to read any articles, watch any videos, or listen to any broadcasts that specifically reference division champions) - 

afc-east-titles-041217-min.jpeg

Indy_Banners_optimized.jpg

14 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

Ok whatever you win I'm out of this thread. It's a waste of time coming back to it.

You were right...don't worry. I just posted proof in case he wants to keep arguing...

Edited by BigDingus

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

That's actually not true. They are called 9 time AFC East Champions. Just as the 90's Bills are always referred to as having won 5 out of 6 AFC East championships. 

Hell, just google any articles that discuss those teams, or the Bills franchise achievements as a whole. Here's just the Wikipedia page of the Bills - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Bills

It even notes "Conference Championships," and "Division Championships" to go along with League Championships. In record books, in documentaries, in discussion, and on banners, division & conference championships are certainly referred to as "Championships," not "wins."

Also, your comment "A championship requires a championship game or games where the tow best teams play" isn't true either. There are conferences in College Football that don't have a championship game, yet have a designated champion.

The NFL already officially recognizes both division & conference champions...here's even more proof (in case you didn't want to read any articles, watch any videos, or listen to any broadcasts that specifically reference division champions) - 

You were right...don't worry. I just posted proof in case he wants to keep arguing...

Thank you Sir!!!!

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

The guy asked if I would pay off for a division "championship".  I said no.  Champs win a game for.....a championship. 

It's nice that teams hang banners describing themselves as champions.  Did the 2011 Tebow Broncos hang a banner?  How about the 2014 Panthers?  The 2013 Packers?  The 2010 Seahawks?  None of those "champions" had over 8 wins (3 had only 7) when  they won their "division championships".   So it's a meaningless designation and I wouldn't pay 10k for it.

The college comparison is a uniquely poor choice.  They didn't even have a playoff until fairly recently.  Eeven ranking teams had forever been notoriously debatable.  Conferences without a championship game have no real champ either.  They have "team with the conferences best record", then they go to some bottom tier bow gamel, if lucky.

Edited by Mr. WEO