Would you take this bet on Buffalo sports?

Hour 3 of Schopp and Bulldog today.  Caller "Dane" (I think he said) calls in and asks Mike if he should accept this bet being offered by a co-worker.

The deal is that if the football and hockey seasons both end with neither the Bills or Sabres winning a championship, Dane has to pay his friend $200.

However, if either team wins a championship during the life of the bet, the other guy has to pay Dane $10,000.

If you are Dane, do you accept the bet? 

15 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Hour 3 of Schopp and Bulldog today.  Caller "Dane" (I think he said) calls in and asks Mike if he should accept this bet being offered by a co-worker.

The deal is that if the football and hockey seasons both end with neither the Bills or Sabres winning a championship, Dane has to pay his friend $200.

However, if either team wins a championship during the life of the bet, the other guy has to pay Dane $10,000.

i'd take it and if either won a division championship, i'd demand 10k......no one said what championship.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i'd take it and if either won a division championship, i'd demand 10k......no one said what championship.

Yes, as I understood it, that was the term of the bet.

I.E., both have to lose for Dane to pay $200.  But if either wins, he receives $10,000.

• Haha (+1) 1

If he takes the bet, $2,000 buys him 10 years of chances that the Bills or Sabres can win a championship....and if they did, he gets $10,000, so that's a nice profit.

Then again, both organizations have been around for a long time with no NFL or NHL championships to date.

Therein lies the conundrum.

Dane should take the bet.  He’d have to lose 50 consecutive years to pay out $10,000.

For rounding, assume 30 teams in each league.  Assuming parity, each team has a 1/30 chance of winning.  At least one team winning is 2/30, or 1/15.   Buffalo should have a “one or the other” once in each 15 year period, or over 3 times before he’s paid out $10,000 at $200 per year.  Of course, I’m assuming the Buffalo teams are as likely as any other to win it all.

If Dane declines, have the guy call me ...

Edited by Neo

I'd take the bet. 

Basically it's a decision if you think either team can win a championship over the next 50 years.

I would HAVE to take it. I can't be that pessimistic, but I would also like to set up a possible twofer, as watching the Bills win a championship AND I get 10 grand- that would be a hard day to beat.

Plus I would like to see a championship before I'm 83.

57 minutes ago, White Linen said:

How is "if either team wins a championship during the life of the bet" defined?

Don't know.  Wasn't really specified.

I think he just meant that as long as they are continuing to do the bet.

No word on expiration/automatic annual renewals or the like! 

I doubt the 2 guys would live long enough for the full 50 year term.  Not sure how long they realistically would consider the bet lasting.

I wouldn't take the bet solely on the fact there's no way in hell he would pay up the $10k.  He's just trying to sucker $200 out of you.

If he puts the money in some sort of guaranteed, notarized escrow in advance, then take the bet.

Edited by 1ManRaid
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

I wouldn't take the bet solely on the fact there's no way in hell he would pay up the $10k.  He's just trying to sucker $200 out of you.

If he puts the money in some sort of guaranteed, notarized escrow in advance, then take the bet.

For purposes of the discussion, let's assume the friend has the $10,000 and would actually pay it if he lost the bet.

39 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

For purposes of the discussion, let's assume the friend has the $10,000 and would actually pay it if he lost the bet.

I would do the bet for this upcoming season only if I was the other guy who gets the $200

4 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Dane's friend/co-worker might be Russ Brandon...

7 hours ago, White Linen said:

How is "if either team wins a championship during the life of the bet" defined?

How about back to back regular seasons games that weren’t cringe-worthy?

37 minutes ago, eball said:

I don't think you take the bet.  Instead, you bet $100 each on the Bills and Sabres winning the championship each season, getting Vegas odds.

Drane’s friend is giving much better odds than Vegas could.