Dareus charged in lawsuit with sexual assault

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...."tank talk" cost the Mav's Cuban 600 grand in the NBA (HINT: his yap is always unhinged)....

THAT would have put a serious dent in my lunch money. I doubt Cuban noticed...

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I absolutely agree with this

It also shows what a good organization can do with draft positioning....the trade down in the year before last draft and picking up up Tre......then accumulating all that draft capital.....then using that draft capital effectively.....taking a shot at that franchise QB.....all the while NOT giving up future draft capital.....just awesome work.

Some people dont understand the significance of that right now......but when we are talking about needing a bonafide playmaker on offense as this year wraps up......and talking about who we might get with that first rounder next year....when we could have EASILY not had that first rounder next year......

Of course it did cost more than just existing draft capital, as we no longer have our pro bowl LT, a good young corner, a good young wr (admittedly likely gone this year regardless).... and I don’t think even beane expected Tre to play so close to lattimore so there may have been a little luck too

if the hit on the qb nothing else matters but if we miss, the “we barely gave up anything” narratives going to potentially sink quickly 

55 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Of course it did cost more than just existing draft capital, as we no longer have our pro bowl LT, a good young corner, a good young wr (admittedly likely gone this year regardless).... and I don’t think even beane expected Tre to play so close to lattimore so there may have been a little luck too

if the hit on the qb nothing else matters but if we miss, the “we barely gave up anything” narratives going to potentially sink quickly 

I don't think the cost above draft capital was that expensive.  Glenn supposedly mailed it in after his big contract, and he couldn't stay healthy the past two years.  By good young corner, I guess you mean Ron Darby.  What good is a player (no matter how good he is on the field) if he doesn't buy into the system?  IMO, EJ Gaines (when he played) was better than Darby and I am optimistic that Vontae Davis will be better than Darby, then hopefully one of the young guys, or potential draft pick will step in once Vontae Davis is done.  I think Beane and McD knew Tre would be a solid pick...and he was.  Play matched expectations, don't think there was too much luck there.  Tre may have overachieved a little (and just a little) but I think expectations for him were fairly high, which he definitely met.

If Allen doesn't play up to his expectations then it will be a shame once the "history of now" narrative occurs.  Like people forget that the Bills wandered around the QB desert for 20+ years, attempting to compete with Moses.  Beane tried to address this long standing problem, and I (and probably most Bills fans) hope he is proven successful.

16 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I don't think the cost above draft capital was that expensive.  Glenn supposedly mailed it in after his big contract, and he couldn't stay healthy the past two years.  By good young corner, I guess you mean Ron Darby.  What good is a player (no matter how good he is on the field) if he doesn't buy into the system?  IMO, EJ Gaines (when he played) was better than Darby and I am optimistic that Vontae Davis will be better than Darby, then hopefully one of the young guys, or potential draft pick will step in once Vontae Davis is done.  I think Beane and McD knew Tre would be a solid pick...and he was.  Play matched expectations, don't think there was too much luck there.  Tre may have overachieved a little (and just a little) but I think expectations for him were fairly high, which he definitely met.

If Allen doesn't play up to his expectations then it will be a shame once the "history of now" narrative occurs.  Like people forget that the Bills wandered around the QB desert for 20+ years, attempting to compete with Moses.  Beane tried to address this long standing problem, and I (and probably most Bills fans) hope he is proven successful.

I don’t disagree widely. But think it’s innaccurate to frame it like it was just shuffling picks. I even neglected tyrod in my list of resources given up. Your starting QB, WR1, CB1, and LT is a pretty hefty chunk to obtain draft capital. If you listed the top 5 important positions, add DE in there, and we dealt starters at 4 out of 5 in 6(?) months. I’d guess that’s realitively unheard of... not crazy over the top costs but not nothing either.

i also agree that they liked Tre but don’t think they were banking on a historic type of season from him.

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I don’t disagree widely. But think it’s innaccurate to frame it like it was just shuffling picks. I even neglected tyrod in my list of resources given up. Your starting QB, WR1, CB1, and LT is a pretty hefty chunk to obtain draft capital. If you listed the top 5 important positions, add DE in there, and we dealt starters at 4 out of 5 in 6(?) months. I’d guess that’s realitively unheard of... not crazy over the top costs but not nothing either.

i also agree that they liked Tre but don’t think they were banking on a historic type of season from him.

I don't think it was shuffling picks, but rather obtaining the players they want on their team.  Tyrod wasn't the type of QB they wanted starting; great athlete and person, but not the type of QB to make a read and act decisively.  As you stated earlier, Sammy would probably be gone, so moot point.  Darby was decent to good, but replaceable; again, not who McD was looking for if he wasn't going to integrate into their system.  I think they're happy with Dion Dawkins at LT, trading a former pro bowl T with foot/ankle issues was probably worth it to them.  So while the number of trades in a short amount of time is probably higher than average, I don't think Beane and McD consciously thought of it that way.  They probably wanted to create a competitive and integral team as quickly as possible.  NFL is a win now league, something the Bills have largely struggled with for 18 years.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Which team in the NFL has tanked?

My point was how many times on this board have people been clamoring to lose to get better picks.

Also it would be hard to prove as no NFL team would admit to it.

And if we had a poor record last year we would have been accused of it as we traded away many of our top players.

3 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Of course it did cost more than just existing draft capital, as we no longer have our pro bowl LT,

I was a big fan of Glenn.....(did he actually ever make the pro bowl?  I believe if he didnt then he should have) but the fact is the last 2 years he has had a lower body injury that he could not shake....he barely played last year.....and Dawkins was a nice surpise at LT......I actually wanted to flip Glenn to the RT side but his health risk and the opportunity to get more draft chips just made it not to be.

In my opinion that corner did not fit our system.   Tre made him totally replaceable

, a good young wr (admittedly likely gone this year regardless)

Watkins was not coming back....we were not sure of HIS health at the time....and now he is onto what....this third team?

.... and I don’t think even beane expected Tre to play so close to lattimore so there may have been a little luck too

I agree we really got lucky with Tre......but I think the bills knew what they were getting with him as he was the best pure cover corner in the draft.....what nobody expected was that he had a nice all around game and plays the run as well......the reports I had seen prior to the draft is he was soft against the run.

3 hours ago, NoSaint said:

If Allen flops (I dont expect him to) they are going to be able to go right back into the draft with first round picks they didnt have to give up in all of this which is kinda my point......

And lets not forget Edmunds here

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Colts.

Come on!  When Manning left, they went with the backup that Manning had groomed all those years!

14 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...with Grigson, it came natural......can't fix stupid............

That wasn't Grigson's time...

On 7/12/2018 at 9:54 AM, rodneykm said:

Must be the resident negative nancy poster. Every single board has a few. 

He was the resident homer for years. Then he fell deeply in love with Doug Whaley. Once his true love was jettisoned he became scornful and embittered. Suddenly the rainbows and sunshine turned to storm clouds and gloom.

Edited by Rob's House

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...my bad...he did his damage afterward, right?.............

I guess.  Not having the franchise QB able to physically throw a regulation football for a very long time hasn't helped either.

On 7/12/2018 at 7:02 AM, C.Biscuit97 said:

I mean I can’t really argue that.  I always think there are guys, especially big guys, who view football as more of a job than a game.  If you’ve ever played football, it’s a freaking grind.  

But Dareus has unbelievable talent for DT.  He was a consensus top 5 pick.  And people want to ignore it but dude has seen a lot of death in his life.  I don’t know if there really anyone to keep in check right now.

Quick question do you have someone that must keep you in check from doing illegal things? How many americans need other adults to keep them in check from doing illegal things?

It is interesting how so many here assume the worst of an Ex Bill due to prejudice. If I was on a jury, this sounds like a he said, she said issue. As for the assault, if it was assault the fact they had multiple continued consequential sexual experiences immediately after the alleged assault would cause me to doubt her version. If someone had assaulted me, I would not continue to willingly, immediately continue the assaults with the person that has just assaulted me.

I'm neither a doctor or a lawyer but:

1.) I would wonder if there are tests that can identify if the actual herpes virus is of the identical DNA in each party.

2.) I would need proof that he was diagnosed with conclusive tests before the incident occurred.

3.) I would question whether he infected her, or visa versa. It goes both ways, without proof he was already infected before he was with her, you can not assume that he infected her,  rather than she infected him.

14 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Perhaps as McBeanes cleaned house they lost financially to some degree. That may not show results for a couple seasons into this exercise.
They did add draft capitol no question, and seem to be using it wisely. as we still have picks next season while drafting the necessary elephant in the room at QB.

even if they did not get it just right ? They probably did not butcher it either.
Whaley drafting Watkins was an example of poor planning and Big Picture Team Building. and set the Bills back.

Allen will not have the same affect regardless. 

I do like your last paragraph especially !

14 hours ago, NoSaint said:

seems they are going after Solid players who have high basements and 10 ft ceilings. Not superstars perhaps. But good to very good.

as i mentioned. time is in the equation. the roster is still being churned this year and will next year ( Offense)

Did Tredavious play above his expectations ? likely.

but i think that is the method.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I guess.  Not having the franchise QB able to physically throw a regulation football for a very long time hasn't helped either.

: ))

On 7/11/2018 at 10:27 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Beane got lucky that it wasn’t filed until December and was able to unload him before the deadline 

Perhaps there's some cause-and-effect here: maybe Beane knew about the incident and that there was going to be a lawsuit.  That would make the comments about "what if he's able to play, then we want fair compensation" make sense if the GMs thought it might come out and result in immediate suspension

On 7/11/2018 at 10:27 PM, YoloinOhio said:

And did you see that one is only suing for 15k?

See Mickey's comments.  She's not only suing for 15k, she's suing for ">$15k", basically indicates which court adjudicates it.

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Perhaps there's some cause-and-effect here: maybe Beane knew about the incident and that there was going to be a lawsuit.  That would make the comments about "what if he's able to play, then we want fair compensation" make sense if the GMs thought it might come out and result in immediate suspension

See Mickey's comments.  She's not only suing for 15k, she's suing for ">$15k", basically indicates which court adjudicates it.

I said earlier that I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Beane knew about the incident and that's why he was desperate to dump him, for a song, seeing as how the dead cap hit was huge and the Bills were in the middle of a playoff run.  But there's no way he'll admit that because that would piss the Jags off and make them never consider trading with the Bills again.

As for this case, it's now a matter of waiting and seeing.  Too bad Shady hired the guy he needed.

8 minutes ago, Doc said:

I said earlier that I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Beane knew about the incident and that's why he was desperate to dump him, for a song, seeing as how the dead cap hit was huge and the Bills were in the middle of a playoff run.  But there's no way he'll admit that because that would piss the Jags off and make them never consider trading with the Bills again.

Seems to me Coughlin must also have known, which is why the two of them were talking about a 6th round pick/conditional 5th round "if he can play." (article on Beane's trades)

With the benefit of hindsight, why would whether Dareus can play be a question unless they knew there were grounds for suspension lurking in the picture?  At that point, he had returned from a hammy and was getting a reasonable number of snaps every game/being reasonably effective for Buffalo.