ESPN: Ranking NFL's Best Offensive Arsenals (#29)

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24045670/ranking-nfl-best-worst-offensive-arsenals-weapons-2018#buf

How they ranked them:

• These rankings are attempting to consider a team's skill-position talent without including the impact of the quarterback, offensive line or scheme

• These rankings don't include contract value. 

• I'm solely considering how these players will perform in 2018.

• The arsenals are weighted more toward receivers. 

• Top-level talent wins out over depth.  

• Didn't mention everyone.

buf.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

29. Buffalo Bills

"Knees are the concern with the Bills' weapons. Tight end Charles Clayhas spent the majority of his Bills career battling through knee issues. Top wideout Kelvin Benjamin was traded to the Bills in part because the Panthers were concerned about the long-term health of his knees. Second-year receiver Zay Jones, who was the worst starting wideout in the NFL last season by most metrics, underwent knee surgery in May. Shady McCoy saw his yards per carry drop by more than a full yard last season, although that was likely due more to an ill-fitting scheme than any significant drop in McCoy's own level of play. After the soon-to-be-30-year-old halfback, though, the Bills will be relying on players with a track record of injuries to catch passes from first-round pick Josh Allen (or AJ McCarron or Nathan Peterman). This is another team likely to be shopping for receivers next offseason."

Soooo...the only teams ranked lower than us are the #32 Jets, #31 Dolphins & #30 Cowboys. I find it amusing that 3 of the bottom 4 teams in terms of offensive capabilities are AFC East teams. As if the Patriots didn't have it easy at the top of the division the past decade & a half, the other teams in their division can't seem to ever find a way to put together a potent offense. 

Granted, if either us or the Jets hit at QB this will change significantly (regardless of what the metrics used say, QB relevance still factors in to subconscious opinion), but it's just a problem that's plagued this division for so long now.

Edited by BigDingus

52 minutes ago, Pete said:

29?   They are being way too generous IMO

Lol I think it's about right, although based off those metrics, it kind of makes sense.

They're not counting QB's or offensive lines, so that's how we're somehow ranked ahead of Dallas. We have Shady, they have Elliot, so they technically edge us out there. But at least we have ONE above average WR, while they have nobody. Also, at TE we have Clay while they lost Witten, and as the article says, the 4 TE's they have vying for his spot have a combined 94 career yards 0_0

Soooo, in terms of just talent at skill positions, we're at least ahead of 3 other teams :)

If Mccoy gets booted than we will covet the final and last spot!  If that would be the case than do not even think about putting Allen on the field until the following season......with Ivory/Cadet and our exceptional WR corp again (sarcasm),,,,oh boy its not going to be pretty!

26 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

The Jest and Phish are two of the three teams rated behind us

That should help pad our win total.  But we might have Nate Peterman starting with Cadet as his RB and Benjamin his #1 behind one of the worst lines in the NFL

10 hours ago, Pete said:

That should help pad our win total.  But we might have Nate Peterman starting with Cadet as his RB and Benjamin his #1 behind one of the worst lines in the NFL

I agree. It just sucks to see no hope for anyone but NE to take the division. 

16 hours ago, Pete said:

29?   They are being way too generous IMO

Are they?  IMO they have no idea what they're talking about.  ESPN is just throwing $*** on the wall hoping something will stick.

Wonder where Sammy, Woods, Hogan, Goodwin, & Clay would rank?  It’s crazy that some people said Tyrod had no weapons.

5 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Are they?  IMO they have no idea what they're talking about.  ESPN is just throwing $*** on the wall hoping something will stick.

You really think they are better than 29?  Who would you drop below them?  Or is it just I hate ESPN thing?

15 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Lol I think it's about right, although based off those metrics, it kind of makes sense.

They're not counting QB's or offensive lines, so that's how we're somehow ranked ahead of Dallas. We have Shady, they have Elliot, so they technically edge us out there. But at least we have ONE above average WR, while they have nobody. Also, at TE we have Clay while they lost Witten, and as the article says, the 4 TE's they have vying for his spot have a combined 94 career yards 0_0

Soooo, in terms of just talent at skill positions, we're at least ahead of 3 other teams :)

Zeke over shady? Nah

4 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

I agree. It just sucks to see no hope for anyone but NE to take the division. 

I agree.  Well Tom can't play forever.  Not only do I feel the Bills have a shot at worst offense in NFL, I believe we will be historically awful on offense.  Tyrod with weapons would make Tyrod highlight plays to bail out this offense last season.  We took several steps backwards.  It's a shame, because our defense just might be one of the better defenses in NFL

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, JPP said:

If Mccoy gets booted than we will covet the final and last spot!  If that would be the case than do not even think about putting Allen on the field until the following season......with Ivory/Cadet and our exceptional WR corp again (sarcasm),,,,oh boy its not going to be pretty!

Yeah if McCoy is gone, Allen sits the year in my opinion. AJ and Peterman can tank us right on through the year. 

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Wonder where Sammy, Woods, Hogan, Goodwin, & Clay would rank?  It’s crazy that some people said Tyrod had no weapons.

You really think they are better than 29?  Who would you drop below them?  Or is it just I hate ESPN thing?

Well, who is the starting QB?  Who starts at which position on the OLine, and are they effective at their blocking schemes?  Who are the WRs?  RBs, is Shady playing (nothing to suggest he's not at this point)?  How effective is this new offense under Brian Daboll, in general?  No baseline as of yet.  Lots of questions, few answers.  I don't think the coaching staff even knows some (or most) of these answers; and if they don't know, ESPN certainly doesn't know.  That's why I said they just throw stuff at the wall to see what sticks.  IMO, ESPN has gone way downhill as a sports news entity.  I don't hate ESPN, though I mostly ignore or at least take what they say with a grain of salt.  So to answer your other questions, I have no idea, and really, neither does anyone else at this date.

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

who knows?

some people on here have trouble with the fact that footballs fans like to speculate in the offseason.

not sure why they are on here if that's their windmill to tilt at

8 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Well, who is the starting QB?  Who starts at which position on the OLine, and are they effective at their blocking schemes?  Who are the WRs?  RBs, is Shady playing (nothing to suggest he's not at this point)?  How effective is this new offense under Brian Daboll, in general?  No baseline as of yet.  Lots of questions, few answers.  I don't think the coaching staff even knows some (or most) of these answers; and if they don't know, ESPN certainly doesn't know.  That's why I said they just throw stuff at the wall to see what sticks.  IMO, ESPN has gone way downhill as a sports news entity.  I don't hate ESPN, though I mostly ignore or at least take what they say with a grain of salt.  So to answer your other questions, I have no idea, and really, neither does anyone else at this date.

No offense but you basically choose to react than actually read the story.  The first thing the author says is it is just rating the skill positions and not the qb, oline, and scheme.

i don’t know how any objective fan would say the Bills have one of the worst groups of weapons in the nfl.  Could AJ be Tom Brady? Could Benjamin get better knees than the 90 year old ones he has now?  Could Zay Jones not fight for Jesus and catch the ball?  Sure in theory,  but it’s a bad group right now.

7 minutes ago, row_33 said:

who knows?

some people on here have trouble with the fact that footballs fans like to speculate in the offseason.

not sure why they are on here if that's their windmill to tilt at

Of course and that’s why it’s dumb to just dismiss a list because you don’t agree with it without reading it.

imo, it’s a very reasonable and fair list.  Hopefully, the Bills prove  them wrong.

On 7/12/2018 at 11:00 AM, Bruce_Stools said:

Zeke over shady? Nah

His first year in the league, he had 1,631 rushing yards, averaging 5.1 yards a carry, and 15 TD's (in 15 games).

Shady's BEST year, 2013 with the Eagles, he had 1,607 rushing yards, 5.1 yards a carry, and 9 TD's (in 16 games).

Shady has been in the league 9 years, and Elliot's rookie season was arguably better than Shady's BEST season in his prime. Elliot isn't even in his prime yet, so it's crazy to think what he can do in the future. Unfortunately, Shady's best days are behind him, even if he can stay productive a couple more years.

Zeke missed 6 games last season, and STILL had 983 rushing yards & 7 TD's...Shady played in all 16 games and had 1,138 rushing yards & 6 TD's. Zeke had 269 receiving & 2 TD's while Shady had 448 & 2 TD's. Again...he played 6 less games.

And the Bills had the #1 rushing offense in 2015 & 2016, and was #6 last year, so let's not act like we haven't had ample blocking, or that somehow our scheme doesn't suit runners as well as Dallas. We both have a top tier RB, and both teams focus on rushing. 

Lastly, Zeke is 22 years old, Shady is 30. I'd take Zeke over Shady easily. Shady is still my favorite RB in the league (unless the accusations prove to be true), but in terms of production & potential, especially the next few seasons? Zeke every time.

Edited by BigDingus

9 hours ago, BigDingus said:

His first year in the league, he had 1,631 rushing yards, averaging 5.1 yards a carry, and 15 TD's (in 15 games).

Shady's BEST year, 2013 with the Eagles, he had 1,607 rushing yards, 5.1 yards a carry, and 9 TD's (in 16 games).

Shady has been in the league 9 years, and Elliot's rookie season was arguably better than Shady's BEST season in his prime. Elliot isn't even in his prime yet, so it's crazy to think what he can do in the future. Unfortunately, Shady's best days are behind him, even if he can stay productive a couple more years.

Zeke missed 6 games last season, and STILL had 983 rushing yards & 7 TD's...Shady played in all 16 games and had 1,138 rushing yards & 6 TD's. Zeke had 269 receiving & 2 TD's while Shady had 448 & 2 TD's. Again...he played 6 less games.

And the Bills had the #1 rushing offense in 2015 & 2016, and was #6 last year, so let's not act like we haven't had ample blocking, or that somehow our scheme doesn't suit runners as well as Dallas. We both have a top tier RB, and both teams focus on rushing. 

Lastly, Zeke is 22 years old, Shady is 30. I'd take Zeke over Shady easily. Shady is still my favorite RB in the league (unless the accusations prove to be true), but in terms of production & potential, especially the next few seasons? Zeke every time.

Before this goes any further, thanks for putting in some effort.

I think Zeke is good runner.  I think he had a great rookie season.  I also think McCoy is a generational talent.  His elusiveness and awareness make him special beyond his yardage in my opinion. 

Having a rookie QB break out on the scene the way Prescott did, definitely had an effect on the amazing rookie year by Zeke.  No defenses had tape on Dak and therefore had to scramble and figure out this double headed monster the cowboys were fielding.

In Buffalo, McCoy was the only star shining at least half as bright as they should, on offense.  He was the premier back in a system where opposing defenses knew there wasn’t a QB on the field who could actually throw, and McCoy still plowed through and gave his all for the team. When McCoy was in Philly he had a great team around him and put up some great numbers too.  In my opinion, you couldn’t ask for more than what Shady has provided for his team, regardless of said team.

I don’t see Zeke having the same career or imprint on the game, as McCoy has.  Two more solid seasons and I’d be willing to bet McCoy is a HOFer.  I just don’t see Zeke getting there with what he’s shown to date.