Memory Lane #3 1979 Bills

5 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Part #1

Part #2

Question: If Josh Allen develops enough to be considered as good as Ferguson, is that acceptable to you?

Nope - Ferguson was barely adequate enough for the era that he played in.   

Allen either needs to be much more (so that we finally have a QB worthy of a second contract) or much less (so that we QUICKLY know that we drafted a dud and can move on)

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

Allen either needs to be much more (so that we finally have a QB worthy of a second contract) or much less (so that we QUICKLY know that we drafted a dud and can move on)

Why is it that I expect him to be firmly in the middle? 

Just because we’re Bills fans......

• Haha (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

I agree, great arm but just could not get the job done at times!

18 minutes ago, vorpma said:

I agree, great arm but just could not get the job done at times!

Yeah, seemed to me he suffered from some sort of depression. Whenever he’d hang his head, his day was finished -even if it was in the 2nd quarter! Maddening!

Still, he was a 3rd round pick, started in the 3rd game of his rookie season (Rich Stadium’s 1st Home Game) and we enjoyed many thrilling moments courtesy of his grit and rifle arm. He had a fine, long career. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Yeah, seemed to me he suffered from some sort of depression. Whenever he’d hang his head, his day was finished -even if it was in the 2nd quarter! Maddening!

Still, he was a 3rd round pick, started in the 3rd game of his rookie season (Rich Stadium’s 1st Home Game) and we enjoyed many thrilling moments courtesy of his grit and rifle arm. He had a fine, long career. 

Fergy used to hang out at some bar on Oliver Street in North Tonawanda to watch the Razorbacks play on Saturdays - maybe Klimeks? Smerlas and Haslett used to drop in to McKays Third Base on Oliver Street just down the road from Klimeks!

• Haha (+1) 1

A 7-9 team that, with just a few breaks, could have been 10-6 and won the division.  Close home loses to Chicago, Baltimore and Miami were all winnable. 

1979 set the table though for the breakthrough 1980 season.  

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Was at the opener. Dempsey shanked the 34 yarder that could have ended the streak. Ugh.

Fortunately for us, in 1973 with the Eagles, he also shanked one at Rich that gave Buffalo the win.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Was at the opener. Dempsey shanked the 34 yarder that could have ended the streak. Ugh.

Boy did it ever rain in the second half of that game.

Ya, was at that one too!

10 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Chandler, the head hanging drov my father crazy.

tough SOB, though.  Loved him.

• Like (+1) 1