The Bills vs. Vince Lombardi

Punt75

A memory from Bill's Pre-season games long ago!

Aug 8  1969:

BILLS 21, Washington 17
-- First and only time a Vince Lombardi-coached team lost to an AFL team.
-- (NY Times) "It was not a good game for the Redskins. Bobby Mitchell dropped a pass in the end zone, Sonny Jurgenson fumbled a hand-off setting up Buffalo's touchdown, and Sam Huff missed a key tackle. Lombardi, meanwhile, stood on the sidelines with a look of I-knew-there-would-be-nights-like-this."
-- OJ Simpson was supposed to make his debut but had yet to sign a contract.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Punt75 said:

A memory from Bill's Pre-season games long ago!

Aug 8  1969:

BILLS 21, Washington 17
-- First and only time a Vince Lombardi-coached team lost to an AFL team.
-- (NY Times) "It was not a good game for the Redskins. Bobby Mitchell dropped a pass in the end zone, Sonny Jurgenson fumbled a hand-off setting up Buffalo's touchdown, and Sam Huff missed a key tackle. Lombardi, meanwhile, stood on the sidelines with a look of I-knew-there-would-be-nights-like-this."
-- OJ Simpson was supposed to make his debut but had yet to sign a contract.

But the signing was announced the next day; I was at that game and loved to watch Lombardi pace the sideline.  Mini Max Anderson had a big night!

The Eagles were the first NFL team to visit the Rockpile and was probably the greatest pre - season game I ever saw; 4th quarter and both teams still playing starters. Tension almost like a playoff game and Tom Flores hooking up with Art Powell, both having a great night. Tom Flores gets injured and in comes Jack Kemp to loud and thunderous boo birds. First snap Kemp hits Dubenion for a 69 yard TD turning the boo birds to a standing ovation 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, vorpma said:

But the signing was announced the next day; I was at that game and loved to watch Lombardi pace the sideline.  Mini Max Anderson had a big night!

...or, did it just look big because he was so....mini? 

Hey who needed that OJ guy? 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

It sucks we could have been in SB1.  We won in 64 and 65, and lost in Championship AFL game for SB1.  I don’t know if we had a chance in the SB, but still would have been cool if it was us, win, lose, or draw.

Was the first Suoer Bowl a close game?

13 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Canisius College turned down Vince Lombardi for their head coaching job in the late 40s. 

Edit: yeah, looked it up.  1948.

@Chandler#81

@vorpma

@C.Biscuit97

No, no,. no Chandler.  Seriously.

See three paragraphs from the bottom. The one that starts "Lauffenburger discussed" :

https://canisiusgriffin.wordpress.com/2017/04/07/whatever-happened-to-the-canisius-football-team/

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

13 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Canisius College turned down Vince Lombardi for their head coaching job in the late 40s. 

Edit: yeah, looked it up.  1948.

I just double checked that story.  That’s crazy haha.  I wonder where Canisius would be now.

another interested one is Jim Boeheim missed out on the University of Rochester head job (and Jay Wright of Villanova got his start there).

51 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

@Chandler#81

@vorpma

No, no,. no Chandler.  Seriously.

See three paragraphs from the bottom. The one that starts "Lauffenburger discussed" :

https://canisiusgriffin.wordpress.com/2017/04/07/whatever-happened-to-the-canisius-football-team/

I believe you, D2D. Just thought it was hilarious! 

In the ‘Greatest Game Ever Played’ (‘58 NFL Title game) Giant HC Allie Sherman boasted Lombardi as OC & Tom Landry as DC. Nice staff!

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

I just double checked that story.  That’s crazy haha.  I wonder where Canisius would be now.

another interested one is Jim Boeheim missed out on the University of Rochester head job (and Jay Wright of Villanova got his start there).

Man, Biscuit, I don't know, but I know where Vince wouldn't be!!! 

Although, what if the Old Buffalo Bills of the All American Football League hired him away for 1949 for their final season and the NFL was so impressed they bring Buffalo in instead of either the Colts or Niners?!

Honestly, did not know the Boeheim Story.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, dollars 2 donuts said:

Man, Biscuit, I don't know, but I know where Vince wouldn't be!!! 

Although, what if the Old Buffalo Bills of the All American Football League hired him away for 1949 for their final season and the NFL was so impressed they bring Buffalo in instead of either the Colts or Niners?!

Honestly, did not know the Boeheim Story.

Another tidbit is my dad played football at UB under Buddy Ryan. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Well, it's so long ago,  that's where the roman numbers came from.

'Post of the Week' AND a rimshot for that gem!  ?

23 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Another tidbit is my dad played football at UB under Buddy Ryan. 

Did your dad ask Ryan if he knew what jamokes his sons would grow up to be?