Carbonated Beverages

Carbonated Beverages  

81 members have voted

1. 1. What do you use as a blanket term for sweetened carbonated beverages?

2. 2. Where did you grow up?

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Growing up it was pop. Now that I live away it's soda, or just the name of whatever...Coke, Pepsi, Moxie, etc.

Kinda relate.  Why I said: "Soda Pop"  that's what I use now.

As a Young Child it was always: "May I have a hamburger, French fries, & Coke."

Grew up in Buffalo.  Always used to say "pop" but then moved out of WNY 20 years ago, realized few people in the world (seemingly) use that term, and switched to soda.

I think it's mostly a midwest thing; I believe they say "pop" in Philadelphia too.

Edited by Fadingpain

Just now, Fadingpain said:

Grew up in Buffalo.  Always used to say "pop" but then moved out of WNY 20 years ago, realized few people in the world (seemingly) uses that term, and switched to soda.

I think it's mostly a midwest thing; I believe they say "pop" in Philadelphia too.

Did you check the PopVsSoda.com site.

Site has been up for decades I think... As least as long as I have been here.

Oh... It's interactive down to the county level... Click away..

1 minute ago, KD in CA said:

So Pepsi needs much better marketing in the south.

Coke has been arounf since 1882???

My little Sister worked @ Mayo in Rochester, MN years ago... She had a co-worker from Georgia. My Sister was going to a vending machine and asked said co-worker if she wanted a drink.  Co-worker said: "Yes, a Coke."  My sister brought her a Coke back.  The co-worker was like... "I wanted an Orange Crush!"

WTF!!!

• Haha (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Did you check the PopVsSoda.com site.

Site has been up for decades I think... As least as long as I have been here.

No!  Didn't realize that big a piece of the country says "pop".

I have heard of the "Coke" thing in the South, however.  Everything is a "Coke" even if it isn't.

Another is "Sweet tea".  It's "iced tea" most places I think but "sweet tea" in the south.

5 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I have heard of the "Coke" thing in the South, however.  Everything is a "Coke" even if it isn't.

Another is "Sweet tea".  It's "iced tea" most places I think but "sweet tea" in the south.

Great map... Through years... Subtleties pulling towards the main three: Soda, Pop, Coke...W/shades...

Then you got the whack-a-dos that call: "other"... Like freaking "tonic."

We know what region those Deplorables are in and what football team they root for! ?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

3 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

In Atlanta, it had better be a real Coke product!

In the South you have to specify if you want sweet or unsweetened tea. That surprised me. I always asked for iced tea, but you just might get brown sugar water if you don’t specify! I get “an Arnold Palmer with unsweet tea”, and they still get it wrong sometimes, giving me a “half & half” with a mix of sweet and unsweetened tea. 

20 minutes ago, Augie said:

In Atlanta, it had better be a real Coke product!

In the South you have to specify if you want sweet or unsweetened tea. That surprised me. I always asked for iced tea, but you just might get brown sugar water if you don’t specify! I get “an Arnold Palmer with unsweet tea”, and they still get it wrong sometimes, giving me a “half & half” with a mix of sweet and unsweetened tea. 

Wow... You're "high-maintenance."

?

4 minutes ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

Tuck Fexas. I had to choose it because Okies do not identify as southerners nor midwesterners. So, north Texas is close as reality.

Natives?  Identify as Natives? "We" put them on a really long walk and then took that land... Then they became Californians 40 years later.

Probably why there is no identity.

??

10 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Wow... You're "high-maintenance."

?

Not at all! I’m very pleasant, and a good tipper....if you can just do your job correctly. Truth be told, I never “pull a Shady” on the tip, regardless. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I grew up in WNY and called it pop. First trip in college to visit friends in Manhattan and I used the term ‘pop’ for a carbonated beverage and all looked at me like I had fallen off the turnip truck. Have never used pop since to refer to a soda.

C4DB0AAD-648D-41AF-997B-5EF1EA3B0296.png