The Athletic vs. The Buffalo News: Which Side Are YOU On?

Always like Fairburn so plus one for Athletic.

always hated the curmudgeons at Buffalo News, so minus one for them.

tiebreaker: I don’t pay for content, so they both lose. 

I officially take the side of Syracuse.com, D&C, and WGR. 

10 minutes ago, Idandria said:

I’m with you.... I am at the point where I don’t feel the coverage from The Athletic is worth subscribing to.  I am sure that the coverage/articles are very good - I’m just not convinced it’s worth paying for

Neither, I stopped paying for garbage content a long time ago. The BN is like cable, you want only a few things but have to pay for this monstrosity of irrelevant junk so you can get the content you want. Worse off, the BN used to do well with local news and that sucks now as the paper has moved from marketing to intelligent readers interested in politics and policy and quality local news to the American Dumb Dumb Model where you pile on the junk that conspicuous consumers and reality TV junkies like. So its the daily "Hey, where are middle and upper class white people hanging out today for $8 food truck tacos and $8 bad local craft beers?" photo galleries. Constant marketing of the mythical "resurgence" to help politicians and local developers peddle their lies. Hey by the way, how's the $750M factory we NYS taxpayers built working out? Investigative journalism at the BN? Gone. Replaced by the much better, both in quality and quantity, work from The Public. And the sports coverage there has been crushed here ad nauseam. Whatever happened to the miserable yet self-righteous and extremely skilled hack Jerry Sullivan? Funny how he complaining publicly that the BN said his voice doesn't sell and he's out there without a job. Odd. I've based that guy here for years and said he was a low quality local news guy who dreamed over working at his beloved Boston papers but couldn't even rise out of a media market out the top 50. And there he is outside looking in somewhere. 

Maybe I should try the Athletic for my sports since it counters my criticism of buying the whole package of cable when I just want three channels. But I don't actually care to read sport much anymore. Tired of the snark, tired of arrogance, tired of the hot takes, just tired of where it has gone. Barely listen to the radio either. Almost everyone on WGR drives me nuts, with Sal "I Call Every Bills Player by Their First Name Because I Trying to act like we're pals" Capaccio is unbearable. He puts the "me" into every spot he's on, whether directly (No one gives a sheet about your kid, no one) or indirectly.

As someone said in another thread about that moron Cris Carter, which only cements why I don't watch sports show either.... I get more information and analysis here than any media outlet. If it's opinions I want, this place is dripping with them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, zonabb said:

Neither, I stopped paying for garbage content a long time ago. The BN is like cable, you want only a few things but have to pay for this monstrosity of irrelevant junk so you can get the content you want. Worse off, the BN used to do well with local news and that sucks now as the paper has moved from marketing to intelligent readers interested in politics and policy and quality local news to the American Dumb Dumb Model where you pile on the junk that conspicuous consumers and reality TV junkies like. So its the daily "Hey, where are middle and upper class white people hanging out today for $8 food truck tacos and $8 bad local craft beers?" photo galleries. Constant marketing of the mythical "resurgence" to help politicians and local developers peddle their lies. Hey by the way, how's the $750M factory we NYS taxpayers built working out? Investigative journalism at the BN? Gone. Replaced by the much better, both in quality and quantity, work from The Public. And the sports coverage there has been crushed here ad nauseam. Whatever happened to the miserable yet self-righteous and extremely skilled hack Jerry Sullivan? Funny how he complaining publicly that the BN said his voice doesn't sell and he's out there without a job. Odd. I've based that guy here for years and said he was a low quality local news guy who dreamed over working at his beloved Boston papers but couldn't even rise out of a media market out the top 50. And there he is outside looking in somewhere. 

Maybe I should try the Athletic for my sports since it counters my criticism of buying the whole package of cable when I just want three channels. But I don't actually care to read sport much anymore. Tired of the snark, tired of arrogance, tired of the hot takes, just tired of where it has gone. Barely listen to the radio either. Almost everyone on WGR drives me nuts, with Sal "I Call Every Bills Player by Their First Name Because I Trying to act like we're pals" Capaccio is unbearable. He puts the "me" into every spot he's on, whether directly (No one gives a sheet about your kid, no one) or indirectly.

As someone said in another thread about that moron Cris Carter, which only cements why I don't watch sports show either.... I get more information and analysis here than any media outlet. If it's opinions I want, this place is dripping with them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whoa!  A bit over the top, a bit unfair, but generally right on the money.   

We all miss some good written work here and there by not subscribing, but there's enough good stuff here and other places to satisfy me and I think most people.  

I've been thinking about subscribing to one or the other, but if the content in the Athletic is thin, then I'm down to BN.   I still may try them, in part because I give them credit for dumping Sully and Gleason (even though it was to save money and not because they were so biased they weren't readable).  

Neither side. I do not read either site. If I get free articles I will read them but just don't want any subscriptions

However the BN wore me out with Jerry and Bucky...  If I had to choose I would choose the Athletic, The BN has burned the bridge for me

On 7/9/2018 at 9:46 PM, BuffaloRush said:

One of the most interesting rivalries in Buffalo sports has nothing to do with any event on the football field or ice rink.  It has more to do with the organizations covering Buffalo sports - namely The Buffalo News versus The Athletic.

Matt Warren of Buffalo Rumblings details the entire situation in a must-read article that you can below:

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/6/22/17488972/what-really-happened-buffalo-news-sports-2018-tim-graham-jerry-sullivan-bucky-gleason-john-vogl

What the article doesn't state is that since the launch of The Athletic Buffalo, the response has been so good that the editors decided to expand by adding additional writers including Joe Yerdon, Lindsay D'Archangelo (likely recommended by Tim Graham), and John Ramsey (aka Yards Per Pass) 

Basically, it seems to me that The Athletic executed the intended business model of the BN Blitz - they just flat out did it better by offering solid local reporting with familiar names such as Graham, Fairburn, and Vogl, as well as including bloggers like Kris Baker, Yards Per Pass, and Erik "I'll block you if you disagree with me" Turner.  Plus coverage for the Bills and Sabres, additional coverage from other markets available through The Athletic, and potentially expanding into college sports.  

The question is, if you are the Buffalo News how do you respond against a brand new entity in the local market that has already likely eclipsed your subscriptions?  Should the BN try to stand up and fight back or ditch the BN Blitz and take on a new strategy? 

Also, as a fan which side do you support?  Will you subscribe to one service over the other?  Both services?  Or none at all?

Full disclosure - I'm not an Athletic of BN Blitz subscriber and am largely against the idea of paying for premium news sites.  I am thinking about signing up for the 7 day trial to see whether the Athletic is worth it.

Neither.  I read whatever I can click on without a subscription.  Bills related web news is everywhere, and all I need are the basics, it's not important enough to me what the opinions of local writers are.  Sullivan for example was a jerry springer type and the rest had their moments as well.  As long as I can get a recap of action elsewhere, I'm good.

I subscribe to both. Wish we could get the Athletic Articles on the main page here. Would love for TBD to be a one stop shop!

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Whoa!  A bit over the top, a bit unfair, but generally right on the money.   

We all miss some good written work here and there by not subscribing, but there's enough good stuff here and other places to satisfy me and I think most people.  

I've been thinking about subscribing to one or the other, but if the content in the Athletic is thin, then I'm down to BN.   I still may try them, in part because I give them credit for dumping Sully and Gleason (even though it was to save money and not because they were so biased they weren't readable).  

I have been a touch disappointed in the amount of articles at The Athletic, there is definitely more quantity over at the BN, however, quality is higher, and in-depth coverage is deeper at The Athletic. They have people writing articles about Daboll's offenses and showing gif clips to explain. They've done it with several Josh Allen plays as well so far this preseason. The Athletic is definitely expanding my understanding of the game. It's worth it.

Edited by BrotherChazz

2 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

and because a writer shares his thoughts via screen rather than paper, that makes it valueless?

Anyone can be an online writer, all it takes is a computer with an internet connection. And all too often online writers are just stealing someone else's material and just throwing their own spin/opinion on it and not really adding anything to a story these days. 

I am currently very much enjoying my subscription to the Athletic and the Buffalo news. 

I decided to try both for a year to see if either was worth the price. So far, I would have to say that they both are. 

Both have their merits/benefits. 

If you are looking for strictly Buffalo sports coverage, then the Buffalo News is the better choice. If you want a wide variety of sports content, then the Athletic is the choice. Personally, I like having both. 

For those basing their opinion of the Buffalo News on the past (like I was), I have to say I have noticed some great changes. I would recommend giving them a chance with an open mind. I know I have been pleasantly surprised. 

I think that the Athletic has forced the Buffalo News to improve its game.

Addition by subtraction is an overused phrase that is nonsensical at times, but, if it ever did apply, it applies to the "subtraction" of Bucky and Sully.  TBN is better for it.  I also noticed that their "subtraction" seems to have caused Harrington to actually be much better both in print and on Twitter.

I also subscribed to the Athletic for the year during their sale.  So far, I really like it.  I am able to follow a wide variety of sports including my favorite teams (and the writing is typically very good):

Bills

Sabres

Arsenal

University of Miami football

Edited by Peter

36 minutes ago, Peter said:

I think that the Athletic has forced the Buffalo News to improve its game.

Addition by subtraction is an overused phrase that is nonsensical at times, but, if it ever did apply, it applies to the "subtraction" of Bucky and Sully.  TBN is better for it.  I also noticed that their "subtraction" seems to have caused Harrington to actually be much better both in print and on Twitter.

I also subscribed to the Athletic for the year during their sale.  So far, I really like it.  I am able to follow a wide variety of sports including my favorite teams (and the writing is typically very good):

Bills

Sabres

Arsenal

University of Miami football

The Athletic had little to do with Bucky and Sully leaving.  It’s more of an example of the BN donwsizing by trying to get rid of veteran (and perhaps higher salaried) employees, after a bad quarter.   In fact, The Athletic wasn’t even launched until after they left. 

Does it currenty have an effect? Probably on digital.  I’m sure they are going to rework their strategy for The BN Blitz which has been a miserable failure.  Print is print though.  I don’t see subscribers of the newspaper leaving for The Athletic

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

The Athletic had little to do with Bucky and Sully leaving.  It’s more of an example of the BN donwsizing by trying to get rid of veteran (and perhaps higher salaried) employees, after a bad quarter.   In fact, The Athletic wasn’t even launched until after they left. 

Does it currenty have an effect? Probably on digital.  I’m sure they are going to rework their strategy for The BN Blitz which has been a miserable failure.  Print is print though.  I don’t see subscribers of the newspaper leaving for The Athletic

The Athletic was launched in 2016. It is not surprising that this is where some of the better writers from TBN decided to go. 

Having said that, I am not suggesting that the existence of the Athletic caused Bucky and Sully to leave.  Nevertheless, TBN realized that they needed to up their game.  Sully could have stayed but he could not just write the same article over and over and over again from his basement. 

The point of my post is that the existence of the Athletic has caused TBN to improve.  I think that it has.  I also think that TBN is better without Bucky and Sully than it was with them.

8 hours ago, Idandria said:

5 hours ago, ddaryl said:

Neither side. I do not read either site. If I get free articles I will read them but just don't want any subscriptions

However the BN wore me out with Jerry and Bucky...  If I had to choose I would choose the Athletic, The BN has burned the bridge for me

The curmudgeons, aka Sully and Bucky, are gone.  I enjoy reading the paper - yes, the actual paper - so much more now. 

31 minutes ago, bbb said:

The curmudgeons, aka Sully and Bucky, are gone.  I enjoy reading the paper - yes, the actual paper - so much more now. 

Im not living in the area and they still charge for Bills news. But they should of chased those 2 off 5+ years ago. They waited too long for me.. The bridge is burnt.... 

On 7/10/2018 at 2:18 PM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Didn't know there were sides to support here.

Did Sully sign yet ??

I don't believe The Athletic will ever sign Sully. He's ruined himself.

14 hours ago, Chris farley said:

I paid for a year on the athletic.  you get better articles, and more in depth articles. but the amount of them are sparse compared to the daily 3-5 from Buffalo news. 

I'm sure there will be so much more in season though. But it also gives you access to quality ad free writing from all of the other teams they cover. 

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, beerme1 said:

I don't believe The Athletic will ever sign Sully. He's ruined himself.

I'm sure there will be so much more in season though. But it also gives you access to quality ad free writing from all of the other teams they cover. 

I disagree on Sully.  The perception of Bills

fans vs. the actual opinion of those in the industry on Jerry Sullivan is night and day.  Sully is respected and highly thought of as a great writer.  He hasn’t ruined anything.   Some people here are so delusional.

With that that being said, I don’t necessarily see his style fitting in with The Athletic, especially in the Buffalo scene.   He’s more of an op-Ed columnist, and the majority of the coverage is from Beat reporters, features, or analysis articles.  I am sure Sully will turn up in the media again whenever a good opportunity comes along.  Right now I’m sure he’s content taking a break from the rat race and living on his severance package.

• Like (+1) 1