The Athletic vs. The Buffalo News: Which Side Are YOU On?

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Side note, heard on Atlanta sports radio this week that a couple guys at the AJC left for the Athletic as well. No controversy down here though. But it's interesting they are going after folks at big name papers.

I hope the business model works out for them. They seem to be hiring a lot of writers.

I've signed up for a year, but we'll see how their coverage is when the Bills/Sabres seasons start. 

I really like the athletic so far. They’ve done a good job of putting out original content. 

Theyre offering a nice mix of analysis, opinion, inside access and breaking news. 

But the true test will be when the Bills/Sabres training camp and regular season start. 

I actually ended up signing up for 1 year of the Buffalo News Blitz, as well.

I realized that I was holding onto my past opinion of, and bias against them, and wasn’t giving them a true chance in the present. And when I went back and looked through their more recent stuff, they’re actually doing a much better job than I’ve been giving them credit for. 

They've made a lot of changes (many for the better IMO) and I feel like I owe them a chance. 

I give that Josh Barnett a lot of credit, too. He has been active in engaging the fan base and actually listening to their feedback. That alone earns the Buffalo news a chance in my book. 

Plus, we as a fan base have nothing to gain if we lost the Buffalo news coverage. 

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I really like the athletic so far. They’ve done a good job of putting out original content. 

Theyre offering a nice mix of analysis, opinion, inside access and breaking news. 

But the true test will be when the Bills/Sabres training camp and regular season start. 

I actually ended up signing up for 1 year of the Buffalo News Blitz, as well.

I realized that I was holding onto my past opinion of, and bias against them, and wasn’t giving them a true chance in the present. And when I went back and looked through their more recent stuff, they’re actually doing a much better job than I’ve been giving them credit for. 

They've made a lot of changes (many for the better IMO) and I feel like I owe them a chance. 

I give that Josh Barnett a lot of credit, too. He has been active in engaging the fan base and actually listening to their feedback. That alone earns the Buffalo news a chance in my book. 

Plus, we as a fan base have nothing to gain if we lost the Buffalo news coverage. 

Josh Barnett?  He’s a UFC fighter.  Why would he be talking about the Bills?

• 2 weeks later...

It’s still early, but so far I think the Buffalo News is doing a better job covering Bills training camp than The Athletic is. 

Ive actually been a bit disappointed by the athletic’s coverage of Bills camp up to this point. They’ve basically only been doing 1 training camp article per day. It kind of seems like maybe they’re just doing the bare minimum IMO. 

I’ve found that the BN Blitz has been providing more in depth coverage (so far, anyway). I’m glad I gave them a chance. 

59 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

It’s still early, but so far I think the Buffalo News is doing a better job covering Bills training camp than The Athletic is. 

Ive actually been a bit disappointed by the athletic’s coverage of Bills camp up to this point. They’ve basically only been doing 1 training camp article per day. It kind of seems like maybe they’re just doing the bare minimum IMO. 

I’ve found that the BN Blitz has been providing more in depth coverage (so far, anyway). I’m glad I gave them a chance. 

Agreed so far.  I like Fairburn's stories but I expected a bit more content.   Still, TC is glorified gym class so I'll wait for the reinforcements to arrive...

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...