The Athletic vs. The Buffalo News: Which Side Are YOU On?

54 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

I disagree on Sully.  The perception of Bills

fans vs. the actual opinion of those in the industry on Jerry Sullivan is night and day.  Sully is respected and highly thought of as a great writer.  He hasn’t ruined anything.   Some people here are so delusional.

With that that being said, I don’t necessarily see his style fitting in with The Athletic, especially in the Buffalo scene.   He’s more of an op-Ed columnist, and the majority of the coverage is from Beat reporters, features, or analysis articles.  I am sure Sully will turn up in the media again whenever a good opportunity comes along.  Right now I’m sure he’s content taking a break from the rat race and living on his severance package.

Well, I disagree and I used to love Sully but I do believe he has sullied his brand. No sunshine from him in at least the last five or ten years and certainly not enough to know that if you're going to read his column you know you're going to get a Negative Nancy read. I mean come on. All the time bashing?

Bucky being at The Athletic is the same thing but I will say I will miss his GM for a day annual article. This year would have been fun with that too as he likely would have said the Sabres should trade for Jeff Skinner from Carolina. AND THEY DID LOL! But his style sure as hell doesn't fit The Athletic. 

I will say when I do read the Athletic I love that it's clutter free. No pop ups no advertising just the text or print (lol) of the column. I'm certainly happy at this point and look forward to what they provide in season for both local teams. And the chance to look at opponents with the same quality even if I don't know the writer. No, Jerry and Bucky will never fly on The Athletic. Dinosaurs they are. They have a place certainly and I hope they find it but The a ain't it.

Sorry if you disagree with me. 

Edited by beerme1

10 hours ago, BrotherChazz said:

I subscribe to both. Wish we could get the Athletic Articles on the main page here. Would love for TBD to be a one stop shop!

I have been a touch disappointed in the amount of articles at The Athletic, there is definitely more quantity over at the BN, however, quality is higher, and in-depth coverage is deeper at The Athletic. They have people writing articles about Daboll's offenses and showing gif clips to explain. They've done it with several Josh Allen plays as well so far this preseason. The Athletic is definitely expanding my understanding of the game. It's worth it.

Thanks for the thoughtful comments.   Interesting. 

4 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

I disagree on Sully.  The perception of Bills

fans vs. the actual opinion of those in the industry on Jerry Sullivan is night and day.  Sully is respected and highly thought of as a great writer.  He hasn’t ruined anything.   Some people here are so delusional.

With that that being said, I don’t necessarily see his style fitting in with The Athletic, especially in the Buffalo scene.   He’s more of an op-Ed columnist, and the majority of the coverage is from Beat reporters, features, or analysis articles.  I am sure Sully will turn up in the media again whenever a good opportunity comes along.  Right now I’m sure he’s content taking a break from the rat race and living on his severance package.

Do you follow him on twitter?  I’m not getting the impression of his life that you are.

And he’s his usual negative self. During the game he said “Well Kyle was injury prone in the best of times” to which everyone was like wtf!?!  And someone put up his career stats, which was loaded with 16 Games, 16 Starts. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, bbb said:

his career stats, which was loaded with 16 Games, 16 Starts. 

Typical "drunk on a bar stool" commentary from Sully...

Kyle Williams career stats

Games Def Interceptions Fumbles Sacks & Tackles    
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Int Yds TD Lng PD FF Fmb FR Yds TD Sk Tkl Ast Sfty AV
Career       167 162 1
2006 23 BUF RDT 95 16 11 0 0 0 0 1             33 20   6
2007 24 BUF RDT 95 16 16           0 0 1 0 0 2.0 28 13   7
2008 25 BUF RDT 95 16 16           1 0 0 0 0 2.0 37 18   8
2009 26 BUF RDT 95 14 14           1 0 0 0 0 4.0 41 25   7
2010* 27 BUF ldt/NT/rdt 95 16 16 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 2 11 0 5.5 54 23   12
2011 28 BUF de/nt 95 5 5 0 0 0 0 1             4 5   2
2012* 29 BUF dt/NT/rdt 95 16 16 0 0 0 0 2           5.0 27 19   8
2013* 30 BUF DT 95 16 16 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 10.5 42 26   11
2014* 31 BUF DT 95 15 15 1 2 0 2 3           5.5 31 11   11
2015 32 BUF dt 29 6 6                     1.0 6 8   3
2016* 33 BUF DT 95 15 15                     5.0 42 22   9
2017 34 BUF LDT/rdt 95 16 16 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 1 0 0 3.0 21 20   7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I don't pay for content, so I won't be reading either, although both have strong writers.

What caught my interest in the article, though, was the inference that the BN losing  $250k in Pegula money is what led them to smack down Sully and cut his column. Love him or hate him, when you let advertisers, especially those you write about, use their dollars to dictate your coverage, everyone loses. 

Way back when, I briefly wrote for Shout! When it was bought out by the Bills and the entre staff dropped, it was understood that the move was made to give the team more control over what was released from 2BD and to shut down critical reporting - not that there was much, but it was there. I picked up the Bills new publication after that and saw a (figurative) big happy face plastered on every page. 

What's going to happen down the road if/when there's a real need for critical reporting? The News has made it clear they won't be the ones to do it.