The Athletic vs. The Buffalo News: Which Side Are YOU On?

8 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Yep.   That's what I did.   Same way I avoid the obituary and want ad sections...

Interesting, I've always had you pegged as a Craigslist guy. :D

Edited by stony

TBN was the same columns spit up from year to year. Give me somone who can tell me something i dont already know. I dont need cheerleaders nor do i need a smart ass. The content has sucked for years - Tim Graham can really write but they are all feel good stories or tear jerkers. No one there has the football knowledge to break down anything, so they don't and it becomes boredom to read

Since both the BN and the "Athletic" want to pick my pocket to read their articles I'd say neither is better than the other.

Plenty of other places to fill the sports media void that these two want to profit from.

4 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

The Buffalo News is new about WNY and not just sports teams.  I look at it online to keep up with everything in my home town, including sports.  I'll stick with that.

For the most part, might I respectfully suggest you stay with the print edition.  The digital version is often woefully inadequate in terms of the '5 Ws of journalism.'

7 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Interesting article looking at the Athletic and The Washington Post and how it correlates with the BN 

http://awfulannouncing.com/athletic/washington-post-reportedly-considering-online-subscriber-only-model-beating-the-athletic-to-the-d-c-punch.html

So they are saying they are looking for stupid people who sign up and not cancel?

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

For the most part, might I respectfully suggest you stay with the print edition.  The digital version is often woefully inadequate in terms of the '5 Ws of journalism.'

Problem is I live in Indiana.

15 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

One of the most interesting rivalries in Buffalo sports has nothing to do with any event on the football field or ice rink.  It has more to do with the organizations covering Buffalo sports - namely The Buffalo News versus The Athletic.

Matt Warren of Buffalo Rumblings details the entire situation in a must-read article that you can below:

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/6/22/17488972/what-really-happened-buffalo-news-sports-2018-tim-graham-jerry-sullivan-bucky-gleason-john-vogl

What the article doesn't state is that since the launch of The Athletic Buffalo, the response has been so good that the editors decided to expand by adding additional writers including Joe Yerdon, Lindsay D'Archangelo (likely recommended by Tim Graham), and John Ramsey (aka Yards Per Pass) 

Basically, it seems to me that The Athletic executed the intended business model of the BN Blitz - they just flat out did it better by offering solid local reporting with familiar names such as Graham, Fairburn, and Vogl, as well as including bloggers like Kris Baker, Yards Per Pass, and Erik "I'll block you if you disagree with me" Turner.  Plus coverage for the Bills and Sabres, additional coverage from other markets available through The Athletic, and potentially expanding into college sports.  

The question is, if you are the Buffalo News how do you respond against a brand new entity in the local market that has already likely eclipsed your subscriptions?  Should the BN try to stand up and fight back or ditch the BN Blitz and take on a new strategy? 

Also, as a fan which side do you support?  Will you subscribe to one service over the other?  Both services?  Or none at all?

Full disclosure - I'm not an Athletic of BN Blitz subscriber and am largely against the idea of paying for premium news sites.  I am thinking about signing up for the 7 day trial to see whether the Athletic is worth it.

Sorry - you lost me with "solid local reporting... by Tim Graham"

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

So they are saying they are looking for stupid people who sign up and not cancel?

uhmm..there is a reason almost everything you do online and really anywhere is opt out..not opt-in. Same reason for mail-in rebates..not a hard thing to figure out.

41 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

Sorry - you lost me with "solid local reporting... by Tim Graham"

You don’t have to like his personality on Twitter but his feature stories are very good.  Many regard Tim as an excellent writer

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Didn't know there were sides to support here.

Did Sully sign yet ??

I am sure Sully and Bucky will form their own newsletter released during season for only $19.99/week since according to ex-employee (paid to go away) Sully was getting the top reviews (F5 was his top reader).

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

I am sure Sully and Bucky will form their own newsletter released during season for only $19.99/week since according to ex-employee (paid to go away) Sully was getting the top reviews (F5 was his top reader).

Sully made his living aggravating the fans. He needs a wheelchair in a nursing home selling broken canes to 90 year old women

If you're the BN you splurge right now on a world class digital marketing consulting firm to create a new online strategy based on marketing analytics. While this is happening, you overpay every high-end sports journalist talent coming out of premier colleges and any top notch talent writing for smaller or same-size papers. 

Bring in high level marketing experts and bring in high level writing talent. Simple formula. They have the funds to pull it off. Or they can keep digging a hole. 

6 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

The OP makes it sound like this is the "Real Media Housewives of Buffalo".

Have you read the tweets between Vogl and Harrington, Graham and Harrington and Carucci and Graham.  It basically is Real Housewives.  A lot of drama of social media