Josh Allen is feeling “no pressure,” yet

HOUSE

Josh Allen is feeling “no pressure,” yet

Posted by Mike Florio on July 9, 2018, 1:07 PM EDT
ap_18131623971882-e1526380197864.jpg?w=5
AP

The Bills have high long-term hopes for rookie quarterback Josh Allen. In the short term, however, the expectations are minimal. And that could help Allen with his transition to the NFL.

There’s really no pressure,” Allen said, via the Bills’ official website. “There’s nothing that’s been said to me that has made me feel uncomfortable or feel worried about anything at all. I’m here to get better, I’m here to be the best teammate, the best quarterback that I can be. That’s what I’m trying to do.”

The Bills have declared the quarterback competition to be open, which could put Allen under center from the outset of the season. And if he wins the job, the main reason will be his ability to throw the football a long way.

“Josh has a strong arm,” coach Sean McDermott said, per the team’s website. “I think we all know that. I’ve been around the league long enough to know that it’s one of the stronger arms. I’m not going to compare it to some of the guys I’ve been around. He’s got a talented arm, so within that, there’s other areas that are just as important, though, for arm strength, and that’s where we have a lot of work to do. The great part about Josh is [that] he came in with a great mindset. He’s embraced that growth mindset of getting better every day and that’s what we’re looking forward to in the future.”

In the immediate future, no one really knows what to expect from Allen. If he becomes the player they drafted him to be, the Bills won’t be waiting another 18 years to get back to the playoffs.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/09/josh-allen-is-feeling-no-pressure-yet/

Edited by THE SLAMMER
  • Like (+1) 1

I can see this. If I were him, judging his skill set against McCaron and Pick-Peterman, I’d have no worries either. Yes, I agree with most here that ideally he should sit Year 1. But under the mantra of ‘who gives us the best chance to win Sunday’, ink him in Day 1.

No worries.

...I'm not buying it......he HAS to feel an extreme amount of pressure "running with the threes"......hell do you want demotion to the "fours" hanging over your head?.......talk about a slow news day.....he's right where the "Mc Trio" wants him, progressing a bit each day....good Lord....

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, teef said:

he better feel the pressure, or hopefully he's not bothered by having things spray painted on his front lawn.

He doesn't know what you are talking about.

Ignorance is bliss.

48 minutes ago, teef said:

he better feel the pressure, or hopefully he's not bothered by having things spray painted on his front lawn.

Personally if I was a NFL QB I'd have a 12 foot fence with a moat due to some of the drunk (and non-drunk) idiot fans.

One of these days bills qbs will get smart and not feed their dobermans for days just waiting for folks to do things to their lawn.

14 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Personally if I was a NFL QB I'd have a 12 foot fence with a moat due to some of the drunk (and non-drunk) idiot fans.

A moat filled with alligators

Hungry ones

• Haha (+1) 1

The issue should not be if there is pressure, but where that pressure comes from, and how one reacts to pressure. All athletes I feel that are true athletes and competitors will put the pressure on themselves daily to give their best efforts to reach their fullest potential. Those persons who are self-motivated and focus on learning something from all their experiences, whether good or bad, and who focus on step by step improvements but giving maximimum efforts, instead of worrying about immediate lofty results, those persons would tend to feell less pressure from others' negativity or high expectations.

In other words, they may try to focus only on what is in their control, and not let their thoughts and feelings be controlled by others or other events, which could lead to self-destruction. This does not mean these athletes do not feel any pressure or do not listen to others with good advice and direction, and act on such helpful information. but it may just mean they would not tend to put extra pressure on themselves from that information or critique, or from any added expectations from such, but focus on just continually working hard at being their best.

These persons often thrive under such self-inflicted pressure or stress, as often the pressure may seem natural or minimized as it is just an everyday part of their competitive spirit.

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

A moat filled with alligators

Hungry ones

A moat filled with frickin' sharks with laser beams attached to their heads is better.

Edited by I am the egg man
  • Haha (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...I'm not buying it......he HAS to feel an extreme amount of pressure "running with the threes"......hell do you want demotion to the "fours" hanging over your head?.......talk about a slow news day.....he's right where the "Mc Trio" wants him, progressing a bit each day....good Lord....

Exactly my thoughts.  

49 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

He doesn't know what you are talking about.

Ignorance is bliss.

Igorance is the morons who did it.  The best fans we like to say...who vandalize a players home for fumbling the ball.  Yes it lost us a big game.  But it was a classless move to guy who by all accounts was a really nice guy off the field 

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Good idea, but eventually a bridge would be formed across the moat.  Most likely made with the remains of thousands of broken folding tables.  

• Haha (+1) 1

He shouldn’t be feeling the pressure yet. Training camp hasn’t even started. 

• As as far as starting day 1 I say no. Mainly because the first half of our season is tailor made for just this scenario. We have a lot of road games against tough teams not to mention the Pats at home. I’m expecting either Peterman or McCarron to struggle and we could very easily be below .500 by the end of Oct. A good time to make the switch and start Allen. If we are doing well with a winning record let him develop more. Does anyone really think that Peterman or McCarron can take us to the playoffs and be a franchise Qb and “ steal” Allen’s spot?

And by stealing Allen’s spot I mean outperforming him long term.