What Is The Worst Bills Game You've Attended

As has been mentioned many times the 6-3 abomination against Cleveland is the worst game I've attended. That was the first game I attended where I could legally drink, and I decided to be all responsible and not get blackout drunk. I still regret that to this day as I vividly remember the 9 false starts by the Bills and winning QB Derek Anderson going 2/17.

Honorable mentions: 

10-3 loss to the 49ers in 2008. The 49ers scored a TD on their first drive and did pretty much nothing for the rest of the game. Bills offense could move the ball consistently, but we consistently blew it on the 49ers side of the field. Lindell doinked 2 FG's off the uprights. Rainy, cold weather and the realization that we would be extending the drought after starting the year 5-1 made for a thoroughly depressing game.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/recap?gameId=281130002

15-10 loss to the Dolphins in 2010 (home opener). Both teams sucked. Trentative was at his worst. He threw a checkdown on 4th down with <10 seconds left in the game and the Bills down by 5. Needless to say we didn't convert that 4th down and the Dolphins knelt to end the game.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/recap?gameId=300912002

47-10 loss to the Saints in 2017. I remember sitting there at halftime thinking we're "only" down 17-3 if we get a defensive stop and score a TD on our first possession of the 2nd half we're right back in this. The 10 play 94 yard drive where the Saints ran the ball all 10 plays and ended it with a 7 yard Drew Brees rushing TD was probably the worst defensive effort I have ever seen from the Bills. 

There are (sadly) many other awful games to chose from. Those are just the one's that I've personally attended. 

Despite a LOT of cold games, there was a game in Jacksonville that was so hot we were the only people left in our row by the 2nd quarter. Everyone else was in the Club section with AC and concessions watching on monitors. Even Marcus Stroud, who had just joined us from Jax said it was the most miserable game ever. We were rotating OLine to keep them fresh. BRUTAL! 

On 7/10/2018 at 4:43 PM, Dante said:

This was the one I was going to post. The place was empty. As cold of a day that I can remember in Buffalo. I was just looking at the stats from that game and Jim Braxton was our leading receiver! A blocking back! 6-70yds. Absolutely miserable. 

Just looking at that season and there was a road game in Seattle that was even worse. We lost 56-17 to the 2-5 Seahawks. Man thank Chuck Knox for the rescue from that terrible era.

Believe it or not, I have that one (Redskins) on DVD!  

It was a terrible era...pre-Chuck Knox.  Not that it means a lot, but I have 5 full games on DVD from 1977 and 1978...in those games, the Bills scored a total of 13 points, and were shut out 3 times...the kids who think the drought was the worst era of Bills football have no idea how bad it really was.  :)

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

Despite a LOT of cold games, there was a game in Jacksonville that was so hot we were the only people left in our row by the 2nd quarter. Everyone else was in the Club section with AC and concessions watching on monitors. Even Marcus Stroud, who had just joined us from Jax said it was the most miserable game ever. We were rotating OLine to keep them fresh. BRUTAL! 

I was at a Texas Longhorns/Baylor game like that, back in the Ricky Williams days...the heat is just as mierable as the cold.

Edited by Buftex
  • Sad 1

On 7/10/2018 at 4:06 PM, LabattBlue said:

Just my 2 cents...

IMO no "worst game ever" could have taken place at RWS.  The stadium the game was played at has to be part of the equation, and therefore, this discussion has to begin and end with games at the Rockpile. 

PS  If you never had the opportunity to attend an event at the Rockpile, you just have to believe me when I say what a all-time shithole that place was.

I got to go to some Bisons games there as a kid.  I remember being attacked by yellow jackets frequently.

10 hours ago, Buftex said:

Believe it or not, I have that one (Redskins) on DVD!  

It was a terrible era...pre-Chuck Knox.  Not that it means a lot, but I have 5 full games on DVD from 1977 and 1978...in those games, the Bills scored a total of 13 points, and were shut out 3 times...the kids who think the drought was the worst era of Bills football have no idea how bad it really was:)

I was at a Texas Longhorns/Baylor game like that, back in the Ricky Williams days...the heat is just as mierable as the cold.

The past couple decades have been poor to mind-numbingly mediocre with no real shot at winning anything. The 70s were a totally different level of awful. ?

I have vivid assorted memories of Steve Grogan, Bert Jones etc converting an impressive amount of fantastic td hookups to Stingley, Doughty and more. Lydell Mitchell running roughshod over our accommodating D

Edited by Dante
additional thoughts

8 minutes ago, Dante said:

The past couple decades have been poor to mind-numbingly mediocre with no real shot at winning anything. The 70s were a totally different level of awful. ?

they ran Juice as a gimmick until he crumbled into dust

For me it was definitely when the Bills were flexed to a night game against the **Patsie's in 2007 and were drubbed 56-10. 

The 6-3 Browns game was boring and bad football, but at least they won.  This one was just miserable to sit through...

Edited by ricojes

29 minutes ago, row_33 said:

they ran Juice as a gimmick until he crumbled into dust

He and the Electric Company were about the only shining lights from that time. Even that got tainted over time. 

19 minutes ago, Dante said:

He and the Electric Company were about the only shining lights from that time. Even that got tainted over time. 

Bum Phillips did the same with Earl, ran him until he had to get around in a golf cart, WHAT A GENIUS OF A COACH!!!

13 hours ago, Bakin said:

Season opener 2010 vs Dolphins. 

We sucked so bad. 

Oh Trent

12 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

15-10 loss to the Dolphins in 2010 (home opener). Both teams sucked. Trentative was at his worst. He threw a checkdown on 4th down with <10 seconds left in the game and the Bills down by 5. Needless to say we didn't convert that 4th down and the Dolphins knelt to end the game.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/recap?gameId=300912002

Yeah, I forgot this one.  I was also at this game and it was just awful.  Gailey's first game as HC.  Spiller was a rookie and the Bills had not yet figured out how to get him in space or run him until he threw up.  The Bills' only TD was a 4th down, 30 yard pass to Roscoe Parrish but you never had the feeling they could win.  The "drive" at the end of the game was the definition of pathetic.

Wrecks Ryan's last game, it was cold miserable and rainy and dumb dumb lost to the dolphins in OT. Watching our defense being constantly confused when the ball was snapped was exasperating.

I'm hind sight it was a great game as we got rid of the twins which led to McDermott, who I believe will be one of our best coaches ever, hopefully the greatest.

It was in 2007, I think.  The Bills v. the Patriots*.  Brady would dink/dunk his way down the field, as always.  When he got near the red zone he would just lob it to the end zone for Randy Moss, who posted up in the corner and easily boxed out the cornerbacks for the ball.  They must have scored 40 points by halftime.

It was effortless, and there wasn't a thing Buffalo could do to stop it.  It looked for all the world like two guys just playing catch.

Edited by Blue on Blue