Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
THE SLAMMER

Nathan Peterman could end up surprising Buffalo Bills fans by winning the starting job.

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Madd Charlie said:

"Nathan Peterman could end up surprising Buffalo Bills fans by winning the starting job".

 

and the he could (and likely would) NOT surprise this Bills fan by throwing 2-4 interceptions per game and making McDermott look like a fool again. I personally doubt that happens for this reason alone. McCarron could throw a few interceptions and it would be a completely different national reaction than it would for Peter Man. It would take some stones the size of Lackawanna for this to happen. I think they are talking him up because he's trade bait if anything JMO

 

....I seriously doubt McD could care less about "looking like a fool". Here is the projected "fan reaction (what did Marv say about listening to 'em?)........three games....Game 1-Peterman throws two picks....."told you this guy sucks....two more picks...now at seven......why the eff is he still here?"...where is Jeff Tuel when we need 'em?...Game 2-Allen throws two picks....."told you this guy was a bust......Rosen was the far superior choice......McBeane should be fired for this immediately.....#7 for this garbage?"......Game 3-McCarron throws two picks- "yup yet another disaster pick up by McBeane.....5 NFL starts and we sign him".......the ""Damned If You Do Damned If You Don't" gang is in full bloom.....why the hell would one even bother?.....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Do we really need to list long term back up QBs who are absolutely terrible? Or are you just having fun? Peterman was horrible, I never liked the pick, I still don’t see how it’s far fetched that he ends up being similar or better than another subpar prospect.

 

You seem to be in the same boat as need.

I think Peterman had a solid chance to start not because he's great, but because neither he nor mccarron are anything special, and both are there to just eat snaps until the team is comfy with Allen taking the reigns.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

 

You seem to be in the same boat as need.

I think Peterman had a solid chance to start not because he's great, but because neither he nor mccarron are anything special, and both are there to just eat snaps until the team is comfy with Allen taking the reigns.

If either can be steady , or just consistent , that would be fine.

 Keep in mind  Teams are going to stack the box like last year  till l proven otherwise. Just the way the NFL rolls.

The O line protection has more to prove than either AJM or Nathan. Protect them and create respect for the run game ? and Bills might have something whilst waiting for Big Ole Josh Allen to take the reins

 

 : 0

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

 

....I seriously doubt McD could care less about "looking like a fool". Here is the projected "fan reaction (what did Marv say about listening to 'em?)........three games....Game 1-Peterman throws two picks....."told you this guy sucks....two more picks...now at seven......why the eff is he still here?"...where is Jeff Tuel when we need 'em?...Game 2-Allen throws two picks....."told you this guy was a bust......Rosen was the far superior choice......McBeane should be fired for this immediately.....#7 for this garbage?"......Game 3-McCarron throws two picks- "yup yet another disaster pick up by McBeane.....5 NFL starts and we sign him".......the ""Damned If You Do Damned If You Don't" gang is in full bloom.....why the hell would one even bother?.....

There's definitely truth to what you say but this is a very special circumstance. I think Peternam should play again I just think making him the starter at the beginning is a HUGE risk. OMG it would be the biggest story in the league for a team that's finally building confidence if he goes down in flames. Josh starts and doesn't play great right away you charge it to rookie learning, McCarron doesn't play well you say ok at least he got a shot in the NFL it is what it is, Peterman starts the season and doesn't play well it's a national poostorm and then you have to sit him again and at that point his career probably is done. If Peterman comes in relief of McCarron then your playing him because you need to give the rooke time completely different scenario as far as perception goes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just give me the best QB on opening day. I can handle it

Edited by THE SLAMMER
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Golden Goat said:

I feel like I've seen this exact thread somewhere before...

I am sorry, I don't remember reading this here. Says it was written 10 hours ago.

Edited by THE SLAMMER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, THE SLAMMER said:

I am sorry, I don't remember reading this here. Says it was written 10 hours ago.

 

More than 40 pages and 1,000 posts on "Peterman the starter" in the past two months. It's cool -- You have some new stuff there and we've gotten a look at our QBs since then. As evidenced by the responses, some here are still up for the debate. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I think Peterman is a long shot to make the roster barring a trade or injury as I dont believe they will carry 3 active QB's into each week.  I have nothing against him and would be totally fine with him winning the job if he EARNED it, but I just don't believe its likely.

 

AJ has shown much better in his chances in the NFL, while Peterman didn't even have a good preseason barely completing half his passes.  Since then, he has 52 pass attempts with 6 INTs and 3 Fumbles.  He has less than a 50% career passing completion rate too.

 

No one should have their career decided on such a small sample size, so I am all for him getting a chance to prove people wrong.  But until I actually see something promising from him, I am going to remain in the camp that I doubt he beats out AJ to make the roster.  

 

One more thing working against him is that he needs to clearly beat out AJ...if the race is close, AJ is likely going to get the nod because he has more NFL experience, showed better in his few chances, and has more veteran presence to go along with Allen.  In a close race, the only way I see NP making the roster is if they found a trade partner for AJ.  

 

So, I just find it hard to believe that NP will soundly beat out AJ.  But hey, stranger things have happened and I wish the kid all the luck in the world to do it.  I have no allegiance to AJ, just think he's the better prospect of the two right now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I couldn't read past this....

 

 
"Josh Allen still hasn’t signed his rookie contract with the Buffalo Bills so technically Nathan Peterman has a 50 percent shot at winning the starting job."
 
 
The logic here, technically, is funny.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

If either can be steady , or just consistent , that would be fine.

 Keep in mind  Teams are going to stack the box like last year  till l proven otherwise. Just the way the NFL rolls.

The O line protection has more to prove than either AJM or Nathan. Protect them and create respect for the run game ? and Bills might have something whilst waiting for Big Ole Josh Allen to take the reins

 

 : 0

That’s exactly why I see Allen having every opportunity to win the job. He would benefit the most from play action and a run heavy scheme. I doubt AJM and Peterman’s arm strength would offer much in the deep ball department. If Peterman’s arm has improved I will be the first one to give him credit come preseason. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Homey D. Clown said:

I wouldn't be surprised in the least, nor would I be entirely disappointed either.  If they want Josh Allen to succeed, the Bills will need him to grow into a starting role, and Peterman looked good at times, better than what they have passed off to fans as a starting QB over the last decade anyway, so it could only benefit the team if he does play well.  If he plays really well, then you have a QB problem.  If he plays adequate, then you have a good enough reason to bring Josh along to supplant him.  I see no down side here.

You covered my thoughts. I'm thinking it's between AJMcCarron and Peterman. The offense is still rebuilding with a new OC coming off a down year. It would be nice to test run the scheme and try to find success before you insert first round draft pick Josh Allen. At least if I was in control that would be my agenda. 

 

Josh Allen starting the season would surprise me. I'm not against it but I would hope the team feels it has it together. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

 

If they start him and he stinks it up then it was a bad decision 

 

If they start him I pray he’s good

 

Yeah, those sort of decisions are consequential. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

If Peterman wins the job they are legitimately trying for a top pick.

 

McCarron is an established backup veteran and should be better than Peterman. At least good enough to win 4-8 games

 

I don’t see Peterman winning 4 games...

 

If they want to protect Josh because they think we don’t have the pieces around him then they are going to sacrifice Peterman to the football gods

 

and try and draft Nicki Bicpes aka Nick Bosa

 

What actual starter have we trotted out over the past 10 years that was as bad statistically as Peterman?

 

not TT,not Orton, not even EJ or Jeff Tuel who was undrafted

 

even Thad Lewis won us 2 games with more TDs than picks 

Stats are irrelevant to assess Peterman at this point. Sample size is the most basic concept when it comes to stats. I'm not defending the Peterman Catalogue......nor do I think he's high caliber. Just saying you can't write him off........yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Process said:

Stats are irrelevant to assess Peterman at this point. Sample size is the most basic concept when it comes to stats. I'm not defending the Peterman Catalogue......nor do I think he's high caliber. Just saying you can't write him off........yet. 

I saw what you did there  : )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it’s interes how the Bills QB position has evolved in the past few weeks. I recall quite a few on here being sure that the Bills would not move up in the draft and convinced that AJ McC would be the inevitable starter while the franchise spent 2019 in total rebuilding mode. Flash forward to today and you hardly hear AJs name being mentioned at all. (Has to be one the shortest careers on record for a Bills starter!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Barring any suspicious floor mats.....Mccarron will be starting come september.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Gigs said:

Bro, how many picks did he throw in that half? I’d rather have Naaman Roosevelt play QB than Peterman 😂. If I were HC I would’ve cut him and then had a turk hold his head under my ass so I can show him his replays.

 

Seriously tho, how hard were you laughing when you typed this up? Are you Nathan Peterman?

Think I'll lurk around here and see if you come up with anything useful to add to the conversation (or are we just going to get more one liners).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it's not tanking if you have no other choice.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I think it’s interes how the Bills QB position has evolved in the past few weeks. I recall quite a few on here being sure that the Bills would not move up in the draft and convinced that AJ McC would be the inevitable starter while the franchise spent 2019 in total rebuilding mode. Flash forward to today and you hardly hear AJs name being mentioned at all. (Has to be one the shortest careers on record for a Bills starter!)

I respectfully disagree that many people believed that the Bills were not going to move up in the draft and dedicate this season to rebuild with the added picks. (Maybe a few people did but you are always going to have contrary voices.) The Bills strategy of aggressively moving up the board to select one of the top three or four qbs was widely known. The judgment that it was going to take moving up from our lower first round picks was the prevailing view in the league and by the fans. The Bills gave up Cordy Glenn for virtually nothing other than moving up the board to the twelve or thirteen spot. That set up the stage to move up again. This was all done in the open. 

 

As I have stated in prior posts the Bills for more than a year were very transparent about what their strategy was to get a qb. The emphasis was on the draft to get one of the top tier prospects. When all was said and done this organization was masterful in accomplishing their mission without mortgaging the future. The Bills ended up with nearly a full complement of picks this year and still have all their picks for next year. 

 

It's also apparent that although Peterman and McCarron will have a fair opportunity to compete for the starting job this year (or part of this year) Allen is the qb in which this franchise is invested in as their franchise qb. The timetable for him is predicated on what he can handle and what is best for him from a developmental standpoint. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Thunderstruck said:

They can always rip a turnstile out of the gate area and sub it in for Jordan Mills

Technically the turnstile would be better, it would at least slow him down.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Technically the turnstile would be better, it would at least slow him down.  

And just think- if we can get one of the ones that have a locking mechanism we might be on to something here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly I didnt even care about the 5 pick game. He got completely crushed and it rattled him. Some of it wasnt his fault either. 

 

That was one hell of a welcome to the NFL. If he is able to mentally recover from that and show improvement...I dont see at why he cant easily be the starter this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't necessarily believe Bills fans want to see Peterman start.  The poll was asking if fans believe he deserves a shot.  There is a big difference between thinking he deserves a chance to start and wanting him to be the starter.  

How long in training camp before a starter needs to be named?  I would think after the second game.

 


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×