Nathan Peterman could end up surprising Buffalo Bills fans by winning the starting job.

HOUSE

I don't really have a horse in this race.  I'll watch the competition in training camp with interest, but whoever comes out of it as the starter for the Bills will have my support.  There is something to be said for each candidate.  McCarron has the most experience, obviously, and will be more of a steadying influence than the other two because of that.  Peterman showed the best in OTAs and minicamp, and Josh Allen has the most physical ability and the highest ceiling.  While it would ease my mind (and everybody else's) to have a starter going into training camp, I feel is if it's probably good that we have three guys all with a realistic shot at this.  It means competition will be tight and that will force all three guys to keep workinng as hard as they can.  Iron sharpens iron.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

But he did start a lesser QB vs the chargers because he was desperate... I wanted to see how it played out because we were getting stagnant on offense 

BUT

nobody could say that going into that game that Peterman was a better QB than TT , technically a pro bowl QB

Mcdermott took a gamble to spark a fire because he was desperate to win, and he started a worse QB who just wasn’t afraid to throw 

......probably way off base, but I'd still bet it was Dennison's "fine whine" to start this kid because he hardly put forth his best or consistent effort with TT, and yes, a perhaps difficult pupil....yet in "practice" (yup that IVERSON word), Peterman has shown consistent signs per many reported accounts....."practice" versus "live ammo" differentiations so noted....

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

If Peterman wins the job they are legitimately trying for a top pick.

This makes absolutely 0 sense.   If Peterman wins the job it's because he won the job.  No hidden meaning, no ulterior motive, no nefarious plot it simply means he won the job and that is the QB they felt gave them the best chance at winning that particular game.  If he stinks it up, then they will move on to McCarron or Allen.    

• Like (+1) 1

"Nathan Peterman could end up surprising Buffalo Bills fans by winning the starting job".

and the he could (and likely would) NOT surprise this Bills fan by throwing 2-4 interceptions per game and making McDermott look like a fool again. I personally doubt that happens for this reason alone. McCarron could throw a few interceptions and it would be a completely different national reaction than it would for Peter Man. It would take some stones the size of Lackawanna for this to happen. I think they are talking him up because he's trade bait if anything JMO

1 minute ago, Magox said:

This makes absolutely 0 sense.   If Peterman wins the job it's because he won the job.  No hidden meaning, no ulterior motive, no nefarious plot it simply means he won the job and that is the QB they felt gave them the best chance at winning that particular game.  If he stinks it up, then they will move on to McCarron or Allen.    

If they start him and he stinks it up then it was a bad decision 

If they start him I pray he’s good

I’m fine with anything that gives Allen the best shot at being successful. We could have a drawing here at TBD for QB of the week, let some of our very own go straight from the tailgate to the huddle. That might be fun! Just PLEASE do what will give us the best shot at Allen becoming the real deal. If he starts mid-season, or next year....I don’t care. If Allen isn’t the guy we still have a long way to go....

5 hours ago, Homey D. Clown said:

I wouldn't be surprised in the least, nor would I be entirely disappointed either.  If they want Josh Allen to succeed, the Bills will need him to grow into a starting role, and Peterman looked good at times, better than what they have passed off to fans as a starting QB over the last decade anyway, so it could only benefit the team if he does play well.  If he plays really well, then you have a QB problem.  If he plays adequate, then you have a good enough reason to bring Josh along to supplant him.  I see no down side here.

Bro, how many picks did he throw in that half? I’d rather have Naaman Roosevelt play QB than Peterman ?. If I were HC I would’ve cut him and then had a turk hold his head under my ass so I can show him his replays.

Seriously tho, how hard were you laughing when you typed this up? Are you Nathan Peterman?

"There's no such thing as losses in the NFL. Losses are actually learns."

- Nathan Peterman

Although he said that quote (or a version of it) was uttered by our mad-clappin' head coach.

So technically we went undefeated last year.  Nine wins and 8 learns. 

Edited by QB Bills

1 minute ago, Madd Charlie said:

"Nathan Peterman could end up surprising Buffalo Bills fans by winning the starting job".

and the he could (and likely would) NOT surprise this Bills fan by throwing 2-4 interceptions per game and making McDermott look like a fool again. I personally doubt that happens for this reason alone. McCarron could throw a few interceptions and it would be a completely different national reaction than it would for Peter Man. It would take some stones the size of Lackawanna for this to happen. I think they are talking him up because he's trade bait if anything JMO

....I seriously doubt McD could care less about "looking like a fool". Here is the projected "fan reaction (what did Marv say about listening to 'em?)........three games....Game 1-Peterman throws two picks....."told you this guy sucks....two more picks...now at seven......why the eff is he still here?"...where is Jeff Tuel when we need 'em?...Game 2-Allen throws two picks....."told you this guy was a bust......Rosen was the far superior choice......McBeane should be fired for this immediately.....#7 for this garbage?"......Game 3-McCarron throws two picks- "yup yet another disaster pick up by McBeane.....5 NFL starts and we sign him".......the ""Damned If You Do Damned If You Don't" gang is in full bloom.....why the hell would one even bother?.....

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Do we really need to list long term back up QBs who are absolutely terrible? Or are you just having fun? Peterman was horrible, I never liked the pick, I still don’t see how it’s far fetched that he ends up being similar or better than another subpar prospect.

You seem to be in the same boat as need.

I think Peterman had a solid chance to start not because he's great, but because neither he nor mccarron are anything special, and both are there to just eat snaps until the team is comfy with Allen taking the reigns.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

You seem to be in the same boat as need.

I think Peterman had a solid chance to start not because he's great, but because neither he nor mccarron are anything special, and both are there to just eat snaps until the team is comfy with Allen taking the reigns.

If either can be steady , or just consistent , that would be fine.

Keep in mind  Teams are going to stack the box like last year  till l proven otherwise. Just the way the NFL rolls.

The O line protection has more to prove than either AJM or Nathan. Protect them and create respect for the run game ? and Bills might have something whilst waiting for Big Ole Josh Allen to take the reins

: 0

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....I seriously doubt McD could care less about "looking like a fool". Here is the projected "fan reaction (what did Marv say about listening to 'em?)........three games....Game 1-Peterman throws two picks....."told you this guy sucks....two more picks...now at seven......why the eff is he still here?"...where is Jeff Tuel when we need 'em?...Game 2-Allen throws two picks....."told you this guy was a bust......Rosen was the far superior choice......McBeane should be fired for this immediately.....#7 for this garbage?"......Game 3-McCarron throws two picks- "yup yet another disaster pick up by McBeane.....5 NFL starts and we sign him".......the ""Damned If You Do Damned If You Don't" gang is in full bloom.....why the hell would one even bother?.....

There's definitely truth to what you say but this is a very special circumstance. I think Peternam should play again I just think making him the starter at the beginning is a HUGE risk. OMG it would be the biggest story in the league for a team that's finally building confidence if he goes down in flames. Josh starts and doesn't play great right away you charge it to rookie learning, McCarron doesn't play well you say ok at least he got a shot in the NFL it is what it is, Peterman starts the season and doesn't play well it's a national poostorm and then you have to sit him again and at that point his career probably is done. If Peterman comes in relief of McCarron then your playing him because you need to give the rooke time completely different scenario as far as perception goes. 

1 hour ago, Golden Goat said:

I feel like I've seen this exact thread somewhere before...

I am sorry, I don't remember reading this here. Says it was written 10 hours ago.

Edited by THE SLAMMER

5 minutes ago, THE SLAMMER said:

I am sorry, I don't remember reading this here. Says it was written 10 hours ago.

More than 40 pages and 1,000 posts on "Peterman the starter" in the past two months. It's cool -- You have some new stuff there and we've gotten a look at our QBs since then. As evidenced by the responses, some here are still up for the debate. 

• Like (+1) 1

Personally, I think Peterman is a long shot to make the roster barring a trade or injury as I dont believe they will carry 3 active QB's into each week.  I have nothing against him and would be totally fine with him winning the job if he EARNED it, but I just don't believe its likely.

AJ has shown much better in his chances in the NFL, while Peterman didn't even have a good preseason barely completing half his passes.  Since then, he has 52 pass attempts with 6 INTs and 3 Fumbles.  He has less than a 50% career passing completion rate too.

No one should have their career decided on such a small sample size, so I am all for him getting a chance to prove people wrong.  But until I actually see something promising from him, I am going to remain in the camp that I doubt he beats out AJ to make the roster.  

One more thing working against him is that he needs to clearly beat out AJ...if the race is close, AJ is likely going to get the nod because he has more NFL experience, showed better in his few chances, and has more veteran presence to go along with Allen.  In a close race, the only way I see NP making the roster is if they found a trade partner for AJ.  

So, I just find it hard to believe that NP will soundly beat out AJ.  But hey, stranger things have happened and I wish the kid all the luck in the world to do it.  I have no allegiance to AJ, just think he's the better prospect of the two right now.