Nathan Peterman could end up surprising Buffalo Bills fans by winning the starting job.

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

2018 Bills Award Winners: 

Peterman--2018 NFL Comeback Player of the year, barley beating out Zay Jones! 

Edmunds--2018 DROY

McCoy--NFL Offensive Player of the Year

MCD--NFL Coach of the Year

100-1 SB odds. Get it in.

5 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

So by your logic all backups can possibly become starters and earn big contracts unless your Nate Peterman, Nate = tank? Right?

AJM has played very few NFL snaps, he got the lowest contract offer of any of the available QBs on the FA market. I just don’t see the big disparity in talent, both guys are underwhelming. Only thing that matters to me is that Josh Allen knocks over these pawns before week 3 of the preseason.

Again I never said I think Mccarron is the answer. I said in my opinion he is more ready and better than Peterman...

the NFL is a different animal, where you are drafted is meaningless once you step on the field

its all about heart and work ethic... whoever has that can be a success...

of course backup QBs can work hard and earn success and become starters, but it’s very hard, of course Peterman can too, but I personally don’t have faith

i want Allen to win the job outright in camp and Pre season because he oozes talent that neither have

Allen can be our Cam, Big, Ben

Edited by Buffalo716

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Again I never said I think Mccarron is the answer. I said in my opinion he is more ready and better than Peterman...

the NFL is a different animal, where you are drafted is meaningless once you step on the field

its all about heart and work ethic... whoever has that can be a success...

of course backup QBs can work hard and earn success and become starters, but it’s very hard, of course Peterman can too, but I personally don’t have faith

i want Allen to win the job outright in camp and Pre season because he oozes talent that neither have

I don’t think highly of Nate or AJM but I trust McD and their decision making enough that whoever starts is the best option. 

They had the balls to sit Taylor in hopes of improving the passing game. That’s a guy desperate to win, he isn’t starting a lesser QB so he can get a better pick.

• Like (+1) 2

Even though I'm not a fan of Peterman, I could see him starting since AJ, from what I've heard & read, wasn't good in mini-camp and was the 3rd best QB on the field. In order: Peterman, Allen (with few 1st team reps) & McCarron.  Now unless Peterman is lighting it up, I expect to see Allen starting no later than after the bye, which this year is on November 18th. 

Just now, Commonsense said:

I don’t think highly of Nate or AJM but I trust McD and their decision making enough that whoever starts is the best option. 

They had the balls to sit Taylor in hopes of improving the passing game. That’s a guy desperate to win, he isn’t starting a lesser QB so he can get a better pick.

But he did start a lesser QB vs the chargers because he was desperate... I wanted to see how it played out because we were getting stagnant on offense 

BUT

nobody could say that going into that game that Peterman was a better QB than TT , technically a pro bowl QB

Mcdermott took a gamble to spark a fire because he was desperate to win, and he started a worse QB who just wasn’t afraid to throw 

1 hour ago, THE SLAMMER said:

image.png.48a164e6c550b4f09ab6dff9718d2a72.png

Nathan Peterman could end up surprising Buffalo Bills fans by winning the starting job.

Josh Allen still hasn’t signed his rookie contract with the Buffalo Bills so technically Nathan Peterman has a 50 percent shot at winning the starting job.

Jokes aside, Peterman enters training camp with a realistic shot to win the starting job in 2018. He and AJ McCarron were duking it out in minicamp, while Allen spent most of his time with the reserve players.

We ran a poll over the weekend looking at how fans viewed Peterman as he enters the 2018 season. He obviously didn’t have the best debut, because it was the worst, but that doesn’t mean he should be cast aside to clipboard purgatory.

There are vocal Peterman fans out in the world of Twitter who want to see the second-year player get another shot and the good news for them is that he will be given a fair shot. If Peterman is truly worthy of starting, he will show that by being the best quarterback in training camp and in the preseason.

We take a look at that and more in a Monday edition of The Morning Charge. On a week without a holiday. That’s a bummer.

Buffalo Bills News:

Does Nathan Peterman deserve another chance? (BuffaLowDown, Steven Kubitza)

This article features the poll mentioned above. I’m not sure what it is about Peterman but the mystique surrounding him has given him a strong base of supporters. He hasn’t really done anything to warrant this support, which is the odd part about it.

https://buffalowdown.com/2018/07/09/buffalo-bills-news-eyes-nathan-peterman/

I don't hold the SD game against him, but I don't understand the love for him either. If he is the best option out of camp, so be it. Allen is our QB of the future, the sooner he's ready to start, the better.

• Like (+1) 1

Anyone wishing for Peterman to fail is clueless. How does we know that the tiny amount of playtime he was given dictates what his talents might be. Is it that crazy to think he was thrust into a terrible situation and has learned. It only means good things if he wins the job as I don't want to see Allen in there until the last quarter of the season anyway.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

You think McCarron is an established veteran? He's played like 5 games in the league.

He's played 5 games in which he threw 6 TD and 2 INT, was remarkably consistent at mid-60s completion, and passed for between 160-280 ypg (average 209).

He kept the team in every game, broke even on W-L during the regular season, and came durn close to winning the playoff game.

Unless he comes on in a big way, he's not a starter, but established veteran, I'd agree.  He has demonstrated that he can handle an NFL-speed game competently.

It's possible Peterman may develop and show he is better, but to date, he is far from having shown he can play competently during a regular season game.  He is rockin' 49% completions, 2 TD to 5 INT, under 10 completions per game in his 2 starts, and under 50 ypg in his 2 starts.  I grant that both his starts were in remarkably challenging circumstances, but until he generates better, data are data.  And he did some dumb sh*t - headfirst dive etc.

36 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

But he did start a lesser QB vs the chargers because he was desperate... I wanted to see how it played out because we were getting stagnant on offense 

BUT

nobody could say that going into that game that Peterman was a better QB than TT , technically a pro bowl QB

Mcdermott took a gamble to spark a fire because he was desperate to win, and he started a worse QB who just wasn’t afraid to throw

I see it a little differently - no inside gouge of course - Rico Dennison benched a stagnant Peyton Manning for Brock Osweiler at precisely the same point in the Bronc's superbowl season.  At the time, Manning was injured, yes, but also struggling to execute Kubiak/Dennison's offense the way he wanted it executed.  Hard to argue Osweiler is a better QB even than the injured embers of Peyton Manning.  It was like "listen up, I'm the boss, and you do what I say or I'll sit your butt".

I think Dennison sold the Peterman start because Taylor simply wasn't executing what he was told to do on offense, and he felt that Lynn (from coaching him) had Taylor's number and would shut him down hard.  I don't think he thought it would play out as it did (take the heart out of the team, lead them to play like they were sleepwalking), but then, I don't think much of Dennison's abilities as a coach for not knowing that.

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He's played 5 games in which he threw 6 TD and 2 INT, was remarkably consistent at mid-60s completion, and passed for between 160-280 ypg (average 209).

He kept the team in every game, broke even on W-L during the regular season, and came durn close to winning the playoff game.

Unless he comes on in a big way, he's not a starter, but established veteran, I'd agree.  He has demonstrated that he can handle an NFL-speed game competently.

It's possible Peterman may develop and show he is better, but to date, he is far from having shown he can play competently during a regular season game.  He is rockin' 49% completions, 2 TD to 5 INT, under 10 completions per game in his 2 starts, and under 50 ypg in his 2 starts.  I grant that both his starts were in remarkably challenging circumstances, but until he generates better, data are data.  And he did some dumb sh*t - headfirst dive etc.

I see it a little differently - no inside gouge of course - Rico Dennison benched a stagnant Peyton Manning for Brock Osweiler at precisely the same point in the Bronc's superbowl season.  At the time, Manning was injured, yes, but also struggling to execute Kubiak/Dennison's offense the way he wanted it executed.  Hard to argue Osweiler is a better QB even than the injured embers of Peyton Manning.  It was like "listen up, I'm the boss, and you do what I say or I'll sit your butt".

I think Dennison sold the Peterman start because Taylor simply wasn't executing what he was told to do on offense, and he felt that Lynn (from coaching him) had Taylor's number and would shut him down hard.  I don't think he thought it would play out as it did (take the heart out of the team, lead them to play like they were sleepwalking), but then, I don't think much of Dennison's abilities as a coach for not knowing that.

That was my fathers take as well that it was Dennison and I can see that 100%

Dennison never tried to play to TT strengths for sustained periods and wanted a QB willing to push the ball

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not saying Peterman is better, but calling McCarron an established veteran is a huge stretch. He's a guy with very limited playing time. I fully expect him to be the starter and for Peterman to ride the bench, but McCarron, in my opinion, does not have the playing time, no matter the results, to be considered an established veteran QB.

I don't think anyone knows if McCarron will play horribly, and I don't think anyone knows if he will play well. Why? Because he is still unknown and nobody knows for sure what you will get. You know exactly what you are getting with an "established veteran". He's not there yet.

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

If Peterman wins the job they are legitimately trying for a top pick.

McCarron is an established backup veteran and should be better than Peterman. At least good enough to win 4-8 games

I don’t see Peterman winning 4 games...

If they want to protect Josh because they think we don’t have the pieces around him then they are going to sacrifice Peterman to the football gods

and try and draft Nicki Bicpes aka Nick Bosa

What actual starter have we trotted out over the past 10 years that was as bad statistically as Peterman?

not TT,not Orton, not even EJ or Jeff Tuel who was undrafted

even Thad Lewis won us 2 games with more TDs than picks 

It's not a horrible short term plan. Send Nate out there for a season and let Allen learn and develop. If we get the top pick,  get Bosa and oline/wr help for 2019.

I don't envy whoever starts at QB this season for the Bills. The Oline pass blocking talent is very suspect as is the quality of our wide receivers.  As much as I would like to see Allen start this season, I'm hoping he only sees the field in preseason and game over scenarios.