Nathan Peterman could end up surprising Buffalo Bills fans by winning the starting job.

image.png.48a164e6c550b4f09ab6dff9718d2a72.png

Nathan Peterman could end up surprising Buffalo Bills fans by winning the starting job.

Josh Allen still hasn’t signed his rookie contract with the Buffalo Bills so technically Nathan Peterman has a 50 percent shot at winning the starting job.

Jokes aside, Peterman enters training camp with a realistic shot to win the starting job in 2018. He and AJ McCarron were duking it out in minicamp, while Allen spent most of his time with the reserve players.

We ran a poll over the weekend looking at how fans viewed Peterman as he enters the 2018 season. He obviously didn’t have the best debut, because it was the worst, but that doesn’t mean he should be cast aside to clipboard purgatory.

There are vocal Peterman fans out in the world of Twitter who want to see the second-year player get another shot and the good news for them is that he will be given a fair shot. If Peterman is truly worthy of starting, he will show that by being the best quarterback in training camp and in the preseason.

We take a look at that and more in a Monday edition of The Morning Charge. On a week without a holiday. That’s a bummer.

Buffalo Bills News:

Does Nathan Peterman deserve another chance? (BuffaLowDown, Steven Kubitza)

This article features the poll mentioned above. I’m not sure what it is about Peterman but the mystique surrounding him has given him a strong base of supporters. He hasn’t really done anything to warrant this support, which is the odd part about it.

https://buffalowdown.com/2018/07/09/buffalo-bills-news-eyes-nathan-peterman/

Edited by THE SLAMMER
  • Like (+1) 1

I wouldn't be surprised in the least, nor would I be entirely disappointed either.  If they want Josh Allen to succeed, the Bills will need him to grow into a starting role, and Peterman looked good at times, better than what they have passed off to fans as a starting QB over the last decade anyway, so it could only benefit the team if he does play well.  If he plays really well, then you have a QB problem.  If he plays adequate, then you have a good enough reason to bring Josh along to supplant him.  I see no down side here.

Edited by Homey D. Clown
  • Like (+1) 3

If Peterman wins the job they are legitimately trying for a top pick.

McCarron is an established backup veteran and should be better than Peterman. At least good enough to win 4-8 games

I don’t see Peterman winning 4 games...

If they want to protect Josh because they think we don’t have the pieces around him then they are going to sacrifice Peterman to the football gods

and try and draft Nicki Bicpes aka Nick Bosa

13 minutes ago, Homey D. Clown said:

I wouldn't be surprised in the least, nor would I be entirely disappointed either.  If they want Josh Allen to succeed, the Bills will need him to grow into a starting role, and Peterman looked good at times, better than what they have passed off to fans as a starting QB over the last decade anyway...

What actual starter have we trotted out over the past 10 years that was as bad statistically as Peterman?

not TT,not Orton, not even EJ or Jeff Tuel who was undrafted

even Thad Lewis won us 2 games with more TDs than picks 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

McCarron is an established veteran and should be better than Peterman. At least good enough to win 4-8 games

If they want to protect Josh because they think we don’t have the pieces around him then they are going to sacrifice Peterman to the football gods

What actual starter have we trotted out over the past 10 years that was as bad statistically as Peterman?

even Thad Lewis won us a game lol

You think McCarron is an established veteran? He's played like 5 games in the league.

• Like (+1) 4

"Nathan Peterman could end up surprising Buffalo Bills fans by winning the starting job".

.....I could see me being the QB on the practice squad.

I could have gone Pro.

Edited by I am the egg man
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

You think McCarron is an established veteran? He's played like 5 games in the league.

He is a established backup veteran by NFl standards. He has been a backup for years 

TT was an established backup Vet when we signed him too, an NFL veteran... and Mccarron has more playing time

Edited by Buffalo716

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

McCarron is an established veteran and should be better than Peterman. At least good enough to win 4-8 games

even Thad Lewis won us a game lol

AJ/Peterman were both drafted in the 5th round, neither had high hopes of being a starter in the NFL. AJ has thrown for 920 yards and 6 touchdowns, far from established. AJ has sucked less than Peterman but I don’t see this group wanting to tank and I don’t see either one of these QBs being the difference maker.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Commonsense said:

AJ/Peterman were both drafted in the 5th round, neither had high hopes of being a starter in the NFL. AJ has thrown for 920 yards and 6 touchdowns, far from established. AJ has sucked less than Peterman but I don’t see this group wanting to tank and I don’t see either one of these QBs being the difference maker.

Established backup.

You don’t stick as a backup for 5 years if your bad, especially as primary 

TT was less established than McCarron when we got him...

i never said Mccarron is good or anything, I said he has to be better than Peterman 

2 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Here are more opening day odds; AJM 65%, Allen 30%, Peterman 5%.

Yes it COULD happen, Allen might not be anywhere near ready, AJM who really knows.

Where did you get those odds? 

Last I checked the over/under for total starts was set at 10.5 for Josh Allen. Vegas isn’t buying AJM

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Established backup.

You don’t stick as a backup for 5 years if your bad, especially as primary 

TT was less established than McCarron when we got him...

i never said Mccarron is good or anything, I said he has to be better than Peterman 

Do we really need to list long term back up QBs who are absolutely terrible? Or are you just having fun? Peterman was horrible, I never liked the pick, I still don’t see how it’s far fetched that he ends up being similar or better than another subpar prospect.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Where did you get those odds? 

Last I checked the over/under for total starts was set at 10.5 for Josh Allen. Vegas isn’t buying AJM

Sorry, those are my opening day odds.

And I could see 10.5 o/u for Allen, makes sense. To me that means AJM starts the season but Allen progresses, the losses mount and Allen starts the final 10-11 games of the season.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The stink of the 5 pick half on peterman leaves a terrible impression. He obviously was not ready and did not look like he belongs on an nfl sideline let alone the field. But I’m willing to give the kid the benefit of the doubt. None of us know how hard he may work behind the scenes and in the film room to get better. Some fans are excited about him because he’s considered a very fast decision maker and can throw his receivers open, which given this group would be huge.

Time will tell if he can legit win the job but I think it would be unfair to count his one start against him given his right tackle blocked nobody all game and let the chargers destroy him on every throw, but he did look terrible regardless. I consider a clean slate for this season and let’s see what these guys can do. 

15 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Do we really need to list long term back up QBs who are absolutely terrible? Or are you just having fun? Peterman was horrible, I never liked the pick, I still don’t see how it’s far fetched that he ends up being similar or better than another subpar prospect.

Horrible by your standards or NFL? No NFL player is horrible(untalented) let alone a #2 QB... just not as good as their peers

if you are a 10 year backup QB, you will be called horrible for 10 years... but that’s not the truth

im not talking a backup who stick for 2 seasons... by all accounts Mccarron is going to be a 8-10 year veteran, already going on year 5... that’s far from horrible for an NFL player

he isnt a top QB, he’s a backup... he can become a Keenum, Mccown type in a good system possibly ... I always thought Keenum was pretty good as well and people said he was horrible as well

All backups are backups for a reason

Edited by Buffalo716

20 minutes ago, MJS said:

And...  NOT even in the same offense.  In other words,  Peterman and AJ are on a level playing field imo.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Horrible by your standards or NFL? No NFL player is horrible(untalented) let alone a #2 QB... just not as good as their peers

if you are a 10 year backup QB, you will be called horrible for 10 years... but that’s not the truth

im not talking a backup who stick for 2 seasons... by all accounts Mccarron is going to be a 8-10 year veteran, already going on year 5... that’s far from horrible for an NFL player

he isnt a top QB, he’s a backup... he can become a Keenum, Mccown type in a good system possibly 

All backups are backups for a reason

So by your logic all backups can possibly become starters and earn big contracts unless your Nate Peterman, Nate = tank? Right?

AJM has played very few NFL snaps, he got the lowest contract offer of any of the available QBs on the FA market. I just don’t see the big disparity in talent, both guys are underwhelming. Only thing that matters to me is that Josh Allen knocks over these pawns before week 3 of the preseason.