Attending game in Miami.

Hi all. I've never attended a Bill's game on enemy soil. My son, who is in the army, will be returning home from Afghanistan and we want to see the Miami game as part of our vacation plans. 

I've heard horror stories of fans attending away games. Mind you my 6 year old granddaughter may be attending also. So I'm looking for advice as to how to make this a great trip. Where is the safest place to sit, can we wear Bill's gear, hotel suggestions near Miami, and places to eat?

Any help would be awesome.

Edited by MikeSpeed
  • Like (+1) 2

I've easily been to a dozen Bills games at Miami and we've never had a problem in Bills gear. In fact, it has been one of the tamest stadiums with regard to fan reaction toward us. I view Miami fans as fickle -- Many at the game are there to socialize and they don't care about much else.

You'll be fine. ?

P.S. We appreciate your son's service.

Edited by Golden Goat

1 hour ago, Golden Goat said:

I've easily been to a dozen Bills games at Miami and we've never had a problem in Bills gear. In fact, it has been one of the tamest stadiums with regard to fan reaction toward us. I view Miami fans as fickle -- Many at the game are there to socialize and they don't care about much else.

You'll be fine. ?

P.S. We appreciate your son's service.

Thanks for the response!. That's great to hear. Is there any other info I may need to know with regards to the game or the Miami area in general?

I go every year. The roof sucks. A steel monstrosity that does nothing

You will have no trouble with Miami fans, the crowd is mostly Bills fans.

Tail gate anywhere. Buy your tickets on the Dolphin Side, there is some shade there.

Don't overspend on Tickets, nearly everyone moves down. There is no chance this game sells out even if the Dolphins are in first place

The Dolphins fans simply don't care....Its not a hot ticket.

It seems like every year somebody offers me tickets for free outside the stadium

At game time the Stadium might be half full....maybe less.

Image result for dolphin stadium
Edited by THE SLAMMER

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Slammer

i haven’t been to Miami since they added the roof. It sure looks pretty cool on TV.  I’m curious, why does it suck? 

It was built to provide shade for Dolphin fans and players, it doesn't work. at 1pm the sun is right over your head.

Its not a dome, you still get wet when it rains. Tropical winds swirl.....Looks cool, does nothing...

Even the Dolphins fans are confused, it was privately funded. I live 35 minutes away

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g34438-d12703806-r534469179-Hard_Rock_Stadium-Miami_Florida.html

Edited by THE SLAMMER

Thanks Slammer. Those things are tricky. In Miami it’s the humidity that gets you, as much as the sun, so shade isn’t going to be as productive as in dryer climates. I know Pro Player was bad before from the games I attended years ago. I was hoping the canopy would be more effective.

• Like (+1) 1

I've gone to games there before. My experience was a good one. I went with Dolphins fans and they were pretty nice. You'll always find the one or two $h!t heads...but good experience overall. I will be there for the game this year as well.

The sun isn’t anywhere different in Miami than it is anywhere else in the northern hemisphere! I’m guessing that the ‘visitor’ side is the north side of the stadium, therefore the sun, being in the south, shines on their face, rather than being to their backs. Nothing much that ANY stadium is going to do about that.

33 minutes ago, THE SLAMMER said:

I go every year. The roof sucks. A steel monstrosity that does nothing

You will have no trouble with Miami fans, the crowd is mostly Bills fans.

Tail gate anywhere. Buy your tickets on the Dolphin Side, there is some shade there.

Don't overspend on Tickets, nearly everyone moves down. There is no chance this game sells out even if the Dolphins are in first place

The Dolphins fans simply don't care....Its not a hot ticket.

It seems like every year somebody offers me tickets for free outside the stadium

At game time the Stadium might be half full....maybe less.

Image result for dolphin stadium

I don't see an empty seat in the picture.  They must have been playing New England.

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

I don't see an empty seat in the picture.  They must have been playing New England.

That was opening day after the roof was installed. Believe me the place will be empty

The biggest joke is the attendance figures and total tickets sold. The numbers do not add up.

Unless the fans don't use the tickets.

Edited by THE SLAMMER

9 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

The sun isn’t anywhere different in Miami than it is anywhere else in the northern hemisphere! I’m guessing that the ‘visitor’ side is the north side of the stadium, therefore the sun, being in the south, shines on their face, rather than being to their backs. Nothing much that ANY stadium is going to do about that.

You've kind of responded to your own postulation.

It's not the sun that is different in Miami, it's the site of the stadium and how it sits on the earth in relation to the sun at a given time of day.

16 minutes ago, THE SLAMMER said:

That was opening day after the roof was installed. Believe me the place will be empty

I wanna say it was 2 seasons ago when Miami's opening game was against Bills...opening game and the Miami fans weren't there to support the team...no way Bills fans allow our stadium to be filled with more visiting team fans like Miami did that day

edit: just looked it up, it was the 2015 season, week 3...miami's first home game and they lost to Bills 41 - 14

Edited by Tsaikotic

16 minutes ago, THE SLAMMER said:

The biggest joke is the attendance figures and total tickets sold. The numbers do not add up.

Unless the fans just don't use the tickets.

I was just looking at attendance stats.  It says there were over 65,000 people at the Week 17 Fins/Bills game.

I don't remember what the crowd looked like, but I'd be shocked if 65K in Miami showed up for a meaningless (to them) week 17 game.

15 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

You've kind of responded to your own postulation.

It's not the sun that is different in Miami, it's the site of the stadium and how it sits on the earth in relation to the sun at a given time of day.

There is plenty of debate about the proper orientation for a football field. While a baseball field almost always faces northeast so as to keep the sun out of the batters eyes, a football game is much less mono-directional. It used to be that when surrounded by a running track, as in most high school facilities, that the field ran east/west in order that the 100m track would be oriented with the prevailing westerly breeze at the runners backs. This then puts the grandstands on the north and south sides of the playing field.

You'll be fine in Miami. About 1/3rd of the stadium is Bills fans and I've been there twice once at night once during the day. That tailgating scene isn't crazy but there is something neat about being outside with palmtrees tailgating. My interactions with their fans were great and if you bring up mutual hatrid of NE things get civil real quick anyway. The new roof they put on covers 90% of the stadium minus the vistor sideline, but the fans get covered by shade within the first 45 minutes so by early 2nd quarter we were fine. Just drink water incase. Food and drink prices weren't bad I thought.

The stadium has good sight lines the first time we were up for the TNF game in 2014 in 315 40 yard line about 5-7 rows up. Great sightlines and the noise was good but at the time the roof wasn't on. The second time we sat section 107 about 23 rows up and the sight lines were good for the most part. Ironically we didn't see the Landry hit on A Williams because it was toward the other sideline but you can see pretty well anyway plus the video boards are nice.

Safest place I thought overall it was pretty fair, but somehow Bills fans seem to congrate in the 100 level endzones areas pretty heavily from what I remember.

You'll have a blast I just hope you have better luck win wise, both times I've been the Bills blew leads they shouldn't have. 2016 was especially bad considering we were up 10 pts in the 4th.

42 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I was just looking at attendance stats.  It says there were over 65,000 people at the Week 17 Fins/Bills game.

I don't remember what the crowd looked like, but I'd be shocked if 65K in Miami showed up for a meaningless (to them) week 17 game.

So many of their fans are in the club areas. When we went to the 2014 night game the stadium was literally 60% full until Miami took the lead and then it was like mice coming out of the woodwork...which lasted until 5 minutes to go in the fourth and they all left again haha.